Disappointed in monetization

To me, you seemed unusually enthusiastic at the idea of paying more for the same, I’m probably just too used to people on the internet using (feigned) enthusiasm as a means of signaling sarcasm. Maybe getting ratioed into Neverland would do me some good! In any case, I’m glad I was wrong.

2 Likes

It’s just Poe’s Law :wink:

As for the topic itself, I agree with your objections to FOMO-based monetization and other anti-consumer practices, but that ship has sailed a long time ago. We don’t even own the games we play anymore.

Funcom hired a monetization expert to come up with this stuff. That expert knows very well that most players will accept these practices without batting an eye, so don’t expect the nature of the monetization in Conan Exiles to change. In fact, I wouldn’t expect anything to change at all as long as the data they collect indicates that the bottom line is unaffected.

In the end, the best we can hope is that they’ll read our feedback and toss us a bone when adjusting things. Call me a defeatist if you want, but I don’t believe there will be any drastic changes in monetization.

4 Likes

All the better! Were it up to me, it would be hashed to death in several more posts. I’m sorry in case you’ve grown tired of the topic, but you can always choose to follow the analog of auticus’ advice you helpfully pointed out: Don’t want to read about it - then don’t.

No, I do enjoy the game overall, and I can of course just choose to ignore the optional monetized content. I’d just rather pay for something that seems less dishonest and be a happy customer with the occasional gripe, than feeling like feeding the evil machine that plots to milk me dry, if hyperbole serves. And if there’s a minute chance that posting feedback and outlining my issues helps in some way, I’ll take it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call you defeatist, not more or less than I would the next person affected by this change and familiar with the trajectory modern gaming is on. I understand your point and agree. It’s just that posting feedback here doesn’t cost me, and if it helps, great. And if it doesn’t, no skin off my back. I don’t expect anything to change, I’m just cautiously hopeful that - as you said -

One can only hope!

2 Likes

Exactly, no harm in it. If you don’t try, you’ve already lost!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.