Event Log Player names: yay or nay?

Ark. Although it needs it with players abilities to travel from server to server with their dinos. There is literally thousands of servers you would have to chase someone to find. Not one server with 40 people like Conan.

Understood, but in reality, PVP is always open to having a clan go on the tirade.
If server is that weak that one clan can wipe them all, then they probably werenā€™t suited for PVP officials. A full server who lets at max 10 people wreck shop v 30, has other issues tbh. (this is of course sans cheats, whcich again, can happen at anytime even with names in log or names not in logs), What you describe here are more casual PVE leaning players who only want to raid/be raidied when they feel like it. When i play official PVP, i always expect to log in during raid time with a half exposed base. Par for the server rules.

This response is a good example of a PVE player on a PVP server.

Your wrong I am afraid Iā€™ll be playing on a dead server after one player decides to get ballzz

I played on several PvP Servers since EA and I can say from my experience that 90-99 % of the raids on these servers were offline raids wether the name was shown in the log or not shown. If you are criticizing these offline raid tactics the people always will say: This is a PvP server you should have known that this will happen / build in higher tier then your base will be better protected / PvP is about raiding donā€™t complainā€¦
For me PvP is not offline raiding - offline raiding is boring, without any challenge.
In case of theft (of course only if no parts of the building can be destroyed) I see it differently. In the game, such a tactic can be very challenging. Displaying names in the log destroys the possibility of this style of play.
I still play PvP but only on private regulated servers not on official anymore because the most people there are offline raiders and avoid any risk. In principle, they only attack if they are in the majority. and many use unfair means.
On private Servers I would say make the settings for showing names in the Log selectable if this is possible. If not then donā€™t show them because it wonā€™t prevent offline raiding but the playstyle of a thief.
For me I will stay on private regulated servers until Funcom will introduce offline raid protection. And if you say this isnā€™t possible. It is - we will introduce this feature soon on our server using a new mod.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say that I fall into either of those groups. I just want to know who raided me so I can plot my revenge.

I do however agree that the event log is too powerful as it is. For example the ability to check in real time whether a raid is in progress. Something that might help is a delay between an event occurring and appearing on the log (e.g. 30 minutes). Or possibly even releasing the information gradually.

Initially the log might say ā€œsomething was destroyed by someoneā€. Later it might say ā€œsandstone foundation was destroyed by someoneā€, and finally ā€œsandstone foundation was destroyed by Fizz the feistyā€.

But what about when people are offline. A lot of players still have work and other things to do in life and not having a system to protect against offline raiding isnā€™t the best idea.

In my opinion having a log serves two important aspects. The first one is the server social ecology by providing hints, in case of anonymous entries, which player are hostile towards you and act as an threshold for toxic players because of possible counter attacks. In a server environment where everybody can act freely whitout having to worry about consequences it turns out bad for server population in the long run. Of course Iā€™m referring to PvP servers. The second reason is important for all servers and provides Intel of what might has happens when players are curious after noticing changes, losses, damage and so on. This many times had let players to ask for help because the were unsure if the cause was another player or a bug maybe. I like to remember that this was even a reason given by Funcom when introducing the log system during EA. To reduce confusion and workload.

1 Like
  1. Why play PvP if you just want to have conversations. I donā€™t think the game balance should work for those people.
  2. I canā€™t see any of that angry bee hive behaviour on PvP servers right now. Might happen that some clans choose to waste a ton of resources at first out of anger or spite, but in the long run it is just tiresome and they will eventually stop building careless.

Just to make my point clear: I really dislike any social implications regulating a PvP server. It just should not matter what reputation someone has.

That is group number 1 :slight_smile:

On 1590 the alpha clan was bragging for 2 days about how they had to use up thier 37 god tokens before they expired. So they trashed the rest of the server that was active. Poor game mechanic after another. first is was gods wernt balanced, then you could jump from the moon without dieing then token dupe, then blah blah blah , im done! The game is dead.

I would love see cauldrons, with players behind them in order to make them work. I would love see more players defending bases, and no self defending stuff needs. I think this would make the game (and this kind of game in general) more fun, and life like.
Siege weapons, sure to, all that, but with active players pushing them around. For my feel, fight is fun, only offline raidings are not. But of course, that an other, and very long story, and would explode this tread.

You will always have different groups of people on PVP servers. The ones that just fight, the ones that wipe everything, the ones that raid but do so in the most linear way. None of which are wrong. But, you again are suggesting that people should only PVP when people are online, and they shouldnā€™t be wiped. That is 100% the reason for PVE-C servers. You can fight without losing anythingā€¦and thatā€™s fine. But donā€™t try to change the PVP side. You cant blame people if they offline raid. You cant blame people if they only PVP. You cant blame them if they wipe everything a clan owns off the mapā€¦its the way the PVP servers are.

I can see we have different opinions on what should be done on PVP serversā€¦and thatā€™s fine. But you cant use your feelings as facts for changing PVP servers, in my mind. By trying to say that people shouldnā€™t offline raid, or shouldnā€™t wipe out a base as the excuse to add names or things like that to event logs is wrong.

And yes, Im very well aware of the differences in PVP and PVEā€¦but I think your dragging RP into this discussion.

1 Like

Exploits going on is another thing. You donā€™t battle exploits with a snitch tool

1 Like

Again: the info that a player took something is enough to eliminate any confusion and people who use exploits also know how to avoid getting tracked on the log.

With the ability to build anywhere, crenelated walls, thralls for defence, pets, spiked palisades, if you build right, its not like attacking PVE. And, you cant fault players if they attack a base when people arenā€™t online. There can be other factors as well, such as a clan of 10 having 20-30 different outpostsā€¦they cant be everywhere, so the odds of attacking a base that isnā€™t defended get higher.

And, if you want to say that I prefer a need for a game mechanic to hide my name after attacking, I can say you need one to have the game do the work of finding out who attacked you. IMO one is more ā€˜carebearā€™ then the otherā€¦and I prefer the logs to remain nameless.

I mean that there are people out there that can do research and know when a player or clan isnā€™t online. Then they attack. Unless you play on a server with offline protection, this is just a risk that everyone has if they are not online during raid hours. You cant blame anyone for doing this, its part of the game.

Rather than hide all names or expose all names what youā€™d want is to hide SOME names. So that when you raid there is a RISK of your name being exposed.

e.g. 5% chance per piece destroyed and 0.5% chance per item (or stack) removed.

1 Like

our are suggesting that players should stick to a terribly inefficient playstyle just because they should have a sense of fairness. This is completely unrealistic. The player list is used right in the opposite direction. People track who is online to NOT risk raiding a clan, when someone is online. We have the raidtimer to ensure that people can be online and protect their stuff.

My bases are generally all hit and the server went from fun to toxic since the removal of names from the log. I am a solo player and this just makes more work for me. So much that I am about to uninstall Conan Exiles. I am trying to adapt my gaming style, but I am not going to marry Conan Exiles. If itā€™s too much work, well, there are plenty of fine and fun games out there to play instead.

I figure I could go nomadic like many players have since the patch, no base at all, but what is there to do in Conan Exiles? No quests, just a few dungeons I have already done. Anyway, I am not going to do massive repairs every week that consume all my free time so my latest strategy will have to work or itā€™s hasta la vista, baby!

2 Likes