Funcom, we need to talk about PvP

I could not agree more, visible players makes it a big deal due to the ability to tell if specific and hostile clans are on your server, pvp community has devolved into a dying community of zerging server wipers.

1 Like

Does anyone know what will happen with current stacked fences? Will they crush down when patch hits or will they be intact until Someone raids me and I only then have to care about a rebuild option ?

Last I heard it remains to be seen but the wording of the update suggests current builds are staying and you just can’t do new ones…but don’t quote me on that because it can always go south.

Looks like I got some serious stacking to get done before update :slight_smile:

PvPers had to " deal with the removal of animation canceling?". @AxeIsAnnoying the anim canceling changes were AIMED at PvP.
Anim canceling was bad for immersion, but–more importantly it was bad for combat. It caused the meta to devolve into people macroing anim cancels and putting anyone without a macro keyboard or controller at an unfair disadvantage.

Aside from my statement to @AxeIsAnnoying, I would like to chime in and say that I love immersion and I think some of the horse ideas could be cool. That being said, Funcom has limited development capacity, and so I’d like to say that I would prefer that funcom fix the game’s “raid loop” as @biggcane55 called it, than to worry about making the horses as good as RDR2. RDR2 has great horses, but it’s a cowboy game, horses were part of the dev team’s highest priority. I think the raid loop being improved is more important than horses not being generic and mostly bland to the game’s core design. I’m all for horse improvements, I just feel like it’s less important to the game overall.

3 Likes

Moved thread to Feedback as it had nothing to do with the current Testlive build.

3 Likes

We’re talking pvp. It’s kinda supposed to simulate war.

Now I will say in order to keep a server healthy (and fun for a long time) you somewhat do have to keep others in mind and give them a bit of space to grow etc, but in the end it’s pvp and you are going to piss someone off when you raid them.

And combined with the visible health bars it’s pretty much killing stealthy solo play. Most small hidey holes will be raidable with 4 bombs. 5 layers of stacking aren’t keeping anyone who really wants to from raiding you, but it keeps out the lvl 35’s who just made their 5 first bombs and gives you a little extra time when someone serious raids you.

Imo they should just make a build limit on pvp servers. They already added the build counter. They already have sliders for a ton of stuff. They already have different settings for pvp and pve servers. Just make a slider and set it to some number on pvp and unlimited (max) on pve.

Then let people build however they want within that limit. (Almost. I seem to remember at one point you could stack multiple building pieces within the same build spot and crash the server when you dismantled it. Of course stuff like that should be patched out)

And I don’t want to hear why pve players think a build limit is a bad idea. I don’t want it to effect you, so you have no reason to care.

But I will say that I’m not a huge fan of fence stacking. It’s good for buying you more time, but it’s super boring to build that way and it’s hard to repair while being raided (because you can’t reach a lot of the layers).
In a big base I prefer to build in other ways if possible.
But I personally still don’t think they should remove stacking.
And I’m all for a rework of raid mechanics. If they come up with something good, then removing fence stacking might be a great idea. But even then they should rework raid mechanics before removing the primary defense method for a lot of players.

I also think it had kind of a “charm” that when you’d been raided you could scavenge the rest and had to dismantle what was left of your old base to start building a new one. It’s seems stupid that now all you have to do is pick up a couple of unneeded walls and place them in the hole in your base. (or just pick up everything and use it to build somewhere else)

2 Likes

You should be allowed to not care about them at all in full loot pvp.

But yeah different people have different lives and if you want to make it fun for more I think it would be better to make different servers with different settings.

Just some examples.

servers that wipe every 2-3 months.
24/7 raid time
Current settings.
raid windows only in the weekends.

Imo giving people more options will attract more people.
Trying to make something cater to everyone almost never works.

2 Likes

Yes you will piss off someone but why match their crappy sportsmanship…sure it’s a game of battle (I hesitate calling what we do war because they mechanics don’t simulate war well…like really no punishment for death so every strategy of raiding involves some form of suicide attack that a good chunk of PvPers seem to wish remain). However it’s a social game first.

1 Like

I really doubt the pickup mechanic has caused this meta. Its made it a little easier, sure. But in a negligible sense. Players have been hiding valuables under floors since beta. Because let’s be honest, 15 Hardened Stone per spot is all this saves. And considering you need thousands of this stuff for inevitable damage either way, this is a drop in the bucket.

As for the healthbar thing. I dunno, but I feel like that should be a mod thing.

Of course I’m not talking a tactical war simulator.

And yes I also see it as a social game and I’ve spent waaay too much time politicking in Conan.
But to me it’s a pvp sandbox first. The biggest charm for me has always been no rules on officials (apart form exploiting etc). When the population was good on Playstation, each server became it’s own little society with it’s own rules.
But only as long as the players could enforce them. If someone wanted to come along, talk to no one and just try and zerg through the server (essentially being a**holes), they should be allowed to.

If that’s true then FC has royally messed this up.

Why? Because macros should be caught by BattlEye and those accounts suspended or banned. The gameplay should not have been changed if that was the case. It’s like forcing people to wear rubber socks because there’s a hole in their shoe. No! Fix the damn shoe! Don’t make us all suffer (and we are suffering) because FC misappropriated the proper fix. :stuck_out_tongue:

And by “all” I do indeed mean all… PVP, PVE, and PVE-C game types… The removal of animation canceling has ruined my abilities to fight hard bosses in PVE and changed radically the way I approach a PVP battle. And, sorry, but it’s not possible to claim how many people did or didn’t use macros - from my gaming experience that sort of thing is usually in the realm of the one-percenters though.

And the way it is now with AC disabled or removed, it makes combat feel clumsy, slow, awkward, imprecise, lame, unrealistic, unnecessarily difficult, crappy, graceless, uncoordinated, inaccurate, approximative, loose and squishy!

4 Likes

BattlEye cannot detect hardware macros. For example, the mouse and keyboard I currently own have macro capabilities without the need for any software. They save them directly into the devices. I can setup the macros and unplug them and use them right away after plugging them into another device.

1 Like

Animation canceling should be returned to the game. The dev team should check out other titles and learn how they employ cooldowns. Removing canceling is like a doctor carving off a guy’s head because the patient had a skin tag blocking one nostril.

If I’m fighting with you in real life, I’m not going through with a move that will be unproductive, or potentially deadly. #immersion

If you’re going to put horses in the game, at least sample real horse sounds. Minimum request.

Command enter timings can sniff out macro scripting from hardware.

It comes down to commiting your center of gravity to an attack move. Balance of your body requires that you move and stand in specific ways to have the force and leverage in some cases needed for your attacks to be effective. The different stages of the combos reflect that , though admittedly they could be spiced up a bit more , but that is for another discussion possibly.

I’m pretty sure others here have actual melee training, I know I do. There are moves they programmed into us for when our weapons are out of bullets but there are still enemies left to stomp and scare. Under no circumstances will I continue with a butt-strike if he’s pulling back to wrangle a knife from his belt. The bayonet goes under his sternum.

We should be able to judiciously break our motions, mid-stream. That this was abused should simply make it a priority to code properly.

1 Like

Shorter bursts of attack maybe?

To be honest with you I want the game to be more accessible to players of varied skills.

I have my own style, much like Federer has his elegance. You can’t teach that though, and I want Conan Exiles to be played. That’s all. Once they play, they stay.

2 Likes

Yes it can! Several other anti-cheat systems do! So, it can as well!

They do so by analyzing the stream and comparing it to previous sequences.

So, it still stands… If indeed FC killed AC because of macros (something almost no one ever does anyway) then they have made a HUGE mistake by applying the wrong solution in the wrong place and reducing playability in the process!

1 Like

Agreed. Glory poses can get you killed so I see the frustation. The good thing is that moving the focus of your character (ie. panning your camera during swings to align your targeting area (default to a white dot in the middle of the screen) , does help with hitting hit boxes with practice.

Beware new players, however that some swings are not 100% inside or lined up with the dot (needs to be tightened still, but with practice you get used to the swing arc of you weapon(s).

1 Like