GSP's Halloween 2019 Brainstorming thread (SWL)

As some of you may know, I collect ideas every year at GridStream parties for Halloween brainstorming. After two weeks, I curate them into a somewhat ordered list, we put them in some semblance of order, and I put a little more detail into our favorites, with reference images where appropriate. Then I send those off to FC roughly two months before the event, hopefully about the time they’re looking for ideas of new stuff to add. I’ve just started that thread again for this Halloween.

Keeping the main list on the GSP forum and linking to it from here worked well last year, so let’s go with that again. On the GSP forums, I don’t have to worry about dividing the list between AO and SWL and the post length and editing restrictions are much looser, so I can manage the list better as ideas come in.

If you have an idea you’d like to add to our list, the thread is at http://forums.gridstream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29560

If you’re too lazy to make a GSP forum account to post it, go ahead and tack it on here. I should see it and I can just copy it over.

Once I’ve finalized the list, I’ll post the SWL-relevant parts here, and the AO ones in that forum, and the whole list on the GSP forum. No need to follow all three.

And yes, you can always just post your own suggestion any time you want, but I find that these threads, especially the discussions of them at parties, bring up a lot more ideas and more of them actually get posted in a big pile FC can more easily find. So let’s hear it. What do you want Old Pumpkin Jack to bring you this year?

2 Likes

Due to an unfortunate confluence of technical difficulties and otherwise cancelled shows, we’ve only got 30 ideas on the list and time’s almost up, so I’m extending the ideas collection another week. Since the difficulties appear to be ongoing as of this morning, if there are any more ideas here, please share them on this forum or GSP’s forum instead of waiting to discuss them at a show.

Also, we seem to just not have enough shows in SWL that I can even get to lately. And if I didn’t bring that up here, I couldn’t post the rest of this note because I already posted that in the AO forum and this forum system won’t allow me to post the same update about both games.

The one thing I really want is for the Seven Silences mission to return.

I would also advocate for medieval costumes, like knights and troubadours.

1 Like

Here’s the SWL portion of the final list I just sent in. There was significantly more for AO than SWL this year, probably because we just didn’t have as many shows in SWL or much attendance at them. We need to work on that. There were plenty of ideas applicable to both games, though. If you’re interested in both AO and SWL, it might be easier to read the combined list at GSP Forums: Halloween 2019 Ideas - final list sent in

1. [both] fethers

I asked Lue, the permanently drunk leet in ICC Park, what he wanted and his answer, “fethers”, prompted a couple of suggestions, most of which have been on our lists before, but maybe not recently. We do still want:

• feather dusters
  • feather fans
  • feather bikini
  • feather samba / Brazilian festivale costume
  1. [both] hovering eyeball pet

That’s pretty self-explanatory. Rolling versions were also suggested, but I expect floating would be easier and approximately as creepy. Although… I suppose the rollerrat animations would be about right, minus the legs. No scream, though. That would be too much. Please no eyeballs with a rollerrat scream. Just typing that gives me the … the word I used is censored in this forums, so … shivers.

If you never played AO and don’t know that sound, be grateful.

1. [both] crime scene tape / police evidence bikinis

A bandeau top and Brazilian-style bottom made of police (or Omni-Pol) crime scene / evidence tape. There’s a surprising scarcity of reference images for this, but the idea is straight-forward enough. Might be some regulations about actually doing that on RK4.

1. [both] “Miss Pumpkinhead” outfit

No cloth, just black ink spilled down the front. And a little in back, if necessary. It should be a chest and legs outfit, but compatible with a pumpkin hat.

See https://www.facebook.com/imaginativeimagestudios/photos/a.934180806635142/1854072761312604 - Imaginative Image Studios on FaceBook for a series of photos of this idea offered as suggestion.

1. [both] animated armor with glowing flowing lines

Like something that might remind you of Tron if you haven’t seen it in 20 years and aren’t a lawyer. Like PanOptic Core in more than one color. Purple and orange maybe, for Halloween, and leave the white for the achievement.

1. [both] lit torches

I know TSW used to have these, but I don’t think I’ve seen them in SWL. Are they even still a thing? Maybe instead of whatever mission item we used to have to abuse to get them in TSW, just make a SWL Halloween item that gives that effect on purpose.

1. [both] gothic burlesque corsets of black lace and silver, purple, or red taffeta or velvet

There are plenty of good examples of that. Burleska Corsets ( https://www.burleska.co.uk/ ) has whole categories. The one that most caught my eye was
https://gothicandamazing.tumblr.com/post/162981150670/modelmuaphoto-threnody-in-velvet-corset

1. [both] broken doll costume

A grey jumper with detached-looking shoulders, ragged looking hems, cracked porcelain mask/makeup, loose/missing buttons, etc.
maybe something like https://www.halloweencostumes.com/adult-broken-doll-costume.html

1. [both] superhero/villain costumes

Superheroes are very popular lately, so several superhero-related ideas came up and I’ll just throw them all together here. Of course, any specific superhero is already copyrighted, but making up your own or giving us parts to mix together to make our own should be fair.

SWL could use some more spandex in general, like aerobics leotards but less 1980s neon pastel. Maybe they’d pass for yoga pants in another context. And if anyone complains that people only dress like that at comic conventions, they should check out the exercise apparrel and activewear at international online retailers like Black Milk, Wicked Weasel, even Amazon. Apparently going for a jog dressed like a superhero is a thing now. Capes are still weird, though. Especially if you can’t fly.

Both need accessories to turn the Morph / Metamorphogenetic suits into sentai suits. Gloves, belt, and helmet should do it. Maybe some glowing and/or shiny chest logo kind of things, perhaps as neck or back items?

1. [both] flamenco dresses

Low cut in front, even lower in back. Sleeves optional. Higly asymmetric hemline, very red, and extremely ruffled. AO can’t actually do the asymmetric hem, but, I would hope that any SWL flamenco dress is at least as diagonal as its learning curve.

1. [both] red and black harlequin costumes in various levels of skimpy

I considered throwing this in with the superheroes and villains ideas, but that might be a little too specific, possibly even identifiable as a particular character. If you know who I mean, that’s obviously the problem. How about separate parts of a generic diamond pattern outfit, with mix and match leggings, tunic, arms, bikini, booties, pennant skirt, gloves, and jester hat, in a couple different color combinations, and leave assembling the costume to us? Then if we want to cosplay with it, it’s our own imagination.

1. [SWL] a text adventure version of Conan Chop Chop for the text game terminals in Seoul

In case there still aren’t enough people asking, “what do you mean that’s a real game?”

Here’s a strange thought. Can that text game system link to an external tcp socket, like just for example… a reskinned DIKU MUD in a Conan theme?

1. [both] Consecratrix costume / glamour
  1. [both] pink and gold and black candy skull print Day of the Dead dress
  1. [both] sugar skulls that summon appeased ghosts
    and sugar panties that summon satisfied pervy ghosts?

2. [SWL] bullet bras, or torpedoes, or something along those lines that isn’t trademarked

1. [both] nose bridge shades like Morpheus wears
    optionally with googly eyes, or bloodshot wide eyes, painted on
  1. [both] black thorn/vine applique on mesh fabric bralette
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/712604759/gothic-bralette-with-thorn-design-on
  1. [both] giant Carmen Miranda-style fruit hats
  1. [SWL] normal zombie and filth-infected human glamours
  1. [both] frog costume
    https://images.fun.com/products/22233/1-1/deluxe-frog-adult-costume.jpg
    or a salamander or lizard morph, or anything more frog-like?
  1. [both] medieval costumes, like knights, troubadors, jesters, courtiers, etc.

2. [both] faceless mask

• white porcelain
  • matte black with glowing red eyes
  • silver and reflective
  1. [SWL] A player NPC

An NCP who started playing The Secret World in 2012 and got so into the alternate reality games that they went out and found the real Kingsmouth and then got locked up in a mental hospital for claiming they were playing a game and this world isn’t real and they keep trying to eat a bee but it hasn’t worked yet,

“I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I got stuck in this investigation mission. Literally.”

1. [SWL] bloody demonic ritual sacrificial dagger, worn between the shoulderblades, or straight through the chest

2. [SWL] blood magic book that heals wielder and defensive target proportional to the damage dealt

3. [SWL] a deployable decoy item that’s just a chair.
    75% chance any targeted effect will target the chair instead, just like all social emotes in TSW used to

1. [both] whip that can be equipped off-hand with a pistol, just for looks
  1. [both] Animated sword costume
    a fancy shiny broadsword that makes the rest of you invisible so just the sword remains visible

2. [both] myrmelk - google it

1. [both] pets and costumes and other assorted merchandise from Mutant Year Zero
  1. [both] velociraptor mask

2. [both] assorted underwear wearable as a hat