Hardened Steel Requiring Black Ice... Not Good - PC Hotfix (05.09.2019)

Changing the recipe for hardened steel to require black ice is going to make life for people not living in the snow much harder. Black ice is mostly located in hard-to-reach areas and in extremely cold locations and requires said people to have cold armor and/or gear that they never or very rarely use. Also people that live in the southern areas are probably more than the ones in the north that use hardened steel weapons and gear

This decision is not practical, very limiting, and biased. It favors the north over the south. I suggest you remove this requirement or find an alternative solution.

4 Likes

Yes and no. Black ice even on 1x servers is really easy to mass harvest. does it make you travel yes. but part of the survival aspect is going where you are not comfortable. This isn’t Amazon Prime Exiles.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of changes coming through that make no sense to me, but this one seems ok. Black ice is crazy easy to get. Even on a populated server with the Temple basically locked down, there’s plenty of nodes scattered throughout the snowy mountains.

Encouraging people to travel around the map is a good thing

6 Likes

What does require black ice? Hardened steel for sure not, but items/weapons crafted from it?

The new PC patch is making the recipe change. Now instead of 2 steel bars and 1 brimstone, it takes 1 x steel bar and 1 x black ice.

4 Likes

WTF??? This is just plain stupid.

It really looks like interns are made this patch + hotfixes.

So people should go to the freezing north at lvl50? When you can make hardened steel picks…

Woow… Just wow…

2 Likes

I mean, I was going to the north around level 30. It’s so easy to stockpile black ice it’s not even funny.

3 Likes

The thing is, why this change when it’s been a year and a half untouched?, what made devs feel the need, or urge, to change this, at this time?. Is there anything we are missing here?.

Edit: not that I mind the change, got plenty stock of most things, just curious.

5 Likes

With normal/lvl30 gear, you survived up there? The cold?

@miodeleo Yeah… Instead of fixing bugs, the devs change things no one has ever complained. At this point, I am not even sure funcom knows what they are doing…

You already needed black ice and brimstone for making starmetal bar anyway.

3 Likes

It is more than likely something that was supposed to happen when they changed requirements on heavy epic armors. Heavy epic uses a lot of hardened steel now, and they wanted to move some of the burden off of brimstone and cheapen the cost of hardened to match its new use. Not saying i agree, but that would be the logic i can see.

5 Likes

Yea you just get cold resist gear and spiced haunch.

Yep. And you can cheese right past the big guys to get under the stair way. Then pac man all that black ice.

But with lvl30, the cold gear is utter crap… The north was a nightmare for me, until lvl60, when I crafted epic flawless.

4 Likes

Oh, I see what you mean. Wouldn’t it have been easier to add a modified hardened steel, or other kind of metal for those, instead of touching the whole hardened steel based tools and weapons?. In our modded server there are other metals to craft special items, easy to implement.

1 Like

You definitely have to watch out for the sabertooths for sure, but if you just stick to the mountains there are no enemies up there. You have a small chance to be obliterated by falling meteors though

Or just not mess with it. IT wasn’t really anything the community was in an uproar about. Hardened steel is easy to mas farm, and it is needed for the higher end mid level stuff.

3 Likes

Hence my question, why did it come up in the first place as a change?, your idea of the epic heavy armors makes sense, still… unsure of how this was implemented.

Even with exceptional cold gear we made it from the mounds north, past the sabertooths (run Forest, run) up into the snowline, past the Ymir giant (get it while your there).
up billy goat ally. When you come to the T. Go hard right and up.
Piles of black ice, and ice, a few goats.
I dont think we even took warm food or drink.

1 Like

Yeah, but this was needed for cheaper construction (or faster, as it is annoying to make hardend bricks) and for end-game staff like STAR METAL!

Suddenly hardened steel needs it too! Which you need for many heavy armors, which arent good anyway (for players).
I am currently making flawless sets to have at least 1 of every armor-set. But silent legion (or godbreaker) is enough for thralls anyway.

1 Like

fresh lvl60 and got the game 5 days ago. i play solo on pvp servers usually in this type of games, and i tried now several times to get black ice - never made it back.

whoever the genius was who had that idea with black ice for hardened steel: THANK YOU! you made me quit the game.

3 Likes