Has decay been changed? As I can no longer max out decay on some structures

I used to be able to max decay on all my structures by just standing next to them for 1 to 5 seconds. Now on some of the insulated wooden structures, even after waiting 5 mins decay wont reach max (it did increase slightly).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2151203734

The insulated wooden “garden” on the right will not reach max decay but the black ice “garden” on the left does.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2151203972

The insulated wooden area with chess table will not reach max decay.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2151204790

This fountain on insulated wooden will not reach max decay either.

Below 2 screenshots show decay time is not max.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2151204899

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2151205016

Is there anything I can do to try to get max decay without adding more foundations?
Seems strange it’s only affecting insulated wooden structures.

Thanks.

Edit: Just read decay timers have been increased for summer, so the time is over the 168 hours I was getting previously for all structures. However it would be good if there is a way to be able to get 336 hours decay on all structures.

I usually have to interact with the property. example placing a sandstone piece or opening a door.

Just walking by or on hasn’t worked for me for some time. As for the no maxing out are your pieces all together? meaning do you have enough stuff together to get the max?

Hi SindeeSyringe,

I’m on official PvE, not sure if that makes a difference. Standing near worked fine for me until today. I’ll try what you suggested when I get chance.

All the structures just yesterday had a max decay of 168 hours (Which I believe is the max decay time you could get before the timers were changed today for summer) when I stood near them for 1 to 5 seconds. I’ve not made any changes to those wooden structures for at least a month.

Thanks.

Yep, that’s basically it. The max decay time on servers has been doubled, but that doesn’t automatically double the decay times of the individual builds. As you pointed out yourself, the max time for your builds is slightly below 300, which normally gets capped at 168.

The only way to raise it to max of 336 is to build more or upgrade to T3. I’m not sure whether you would have to upgrade everything to T3 or if you could, perhaps, get away with upgrading only a few parts of the build.

Im on PvEc so not to different.

Also as CodeMage stated do some upgrades to get max timer. But if you where getting max timer before you should still be getting max timer no matter if they bumped the settings or not.

Nope. The settings define the decay timer cap. The formula for the decay timer isn’t affected by the settings. The formula gives you a result based on what you built. If that’s over the cap defined by the settings, the cap is used instead.

I play on official PVE-C servers, and I’ve seen the same thing happen to my timers every time they change the settings.

I’m trying to understand what you just said, as it seems to contradict the observed facts.
eg. my alt character has a small T1 base on Noob River that before the decay settings were changed had a decay time of 168 hours (the decay cap), after the holiday setting changed (doubled) the decay time became 217 hours (less than the decay cap doubled). By the logic in your explanation, for the decay time to have become 217 hours the original decay time would have had to be 108.5 hours which it wasn’t.
Have I misunderstood something here?

The game uses a formula to determine the decay timer for a build, based on the number of connected blocks and their tier. In your example, that formula calculates that the fully refreshed decay timer should be at 217 hours.

After the formula calculates the time, the game will compare that to the cap set on the server and use the smaller of the two values.

That’s why it’s normally 168, because 168 < 217, but now it’s 217, because 336 > 217.

That’s why I said “the formula for the decay timer isn’t affected by the settings”. I hope it’s clearer now.

4 Likes

I also found out yesterday, that 2 bridges at the volcano dont have 336hours… But only 240hours?!

When decay was normal, both bridges had 168hours.

All my other outposts got 336, but they are bigger than bridges over lava… Very very strange. PS4@official PvE

Edit: Oh, Codemage explained it… I also thought, that some formula is the reason behind that… So that my bridges are to small to get 336hours. Still very strange, as the decay is not simple doubled…

The MAX decay time is doubled! Not all decay times get x2!

1 Like

Thank you @CodeMage for the explanation, things are much clearer now. :+1:
Looks like I’m going to have to upgrade the base in question just in order to re-max out the decay time. :roll_eyes:

Thanks CodeMage, that explains it :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.