I kinda like the dodgeroll and momentum changes and here's why!

dodge now is better, game is funnier but the animation is kinda weird, i wish there were more momentum

Oh absolutely Urusovite, Im all for difference of opinion and open discussion among the community. And for the record I hope I didnt come off as being rude or harsh in my post, as that was certainly not my intention. I value the the input of yourself and for that matter all members.

I will have to take your word on TESO, as I have spent limited time playing it. There are several reasons for this, but the main one being that Im not much of an online/multiplayer gamer. With open world games especially, I enjoy the ambience, pictuesque environment and solitude provided by a Singleplayer experience (like Skyrim and The Witcher). And I find that seeing dozens of other players running around everywhere, innane headset chatter and spammed structures all over the landscape spoils the immersion for me. But I dont begrude any who prefer multiplayer, its all about having our own fun.

The thing is here that its not just newer or casual players who dislike the Momentum system, you need only click the profiles of some of the members in the link below (on both sides of the argument) to see so for yourself. On that note I politely dispute your belief that the numbers are more closely split. 450-550 people is an outstanding sample size in anyones language. Furthermore, regarding the loyal fans who arent on the forum, I have always had a saying: If you want your voice to be heard, you have to register to vote and turn up on election day.

I do strongly wish to see more challenge from NPC enemies, but as I already made mention, I feel that this is better accomplished by enhancing the enemies AI and their attacks rather than nerfing the player. To me the Momentum change is akin to turning the look sensitivity down to astonomically slow levels, and not allowing us to adjust them. In my humble viewpoint, less responsiveness is never better than more. And can completely understand why @sirvink and @Sera67 feel the way they do. With the impact it had on Singleplayers, Solo players and newer players has been largely negative.

Like yourself, this wont be enough to make me rage quit; I simply love Conan Exiles too much for that. But it has pushed me into a hiatus until the re-adjustment patch finally lands on consoles. I was pleased to hear that Funcom is going to add an Admin setting to switch between the two systems though, it is probably the fairest possible solution at this point.

2 Likes

This was the most ridiculous kind of gameplay, IMO and I wasnā€™t sad to see it thrown on the trash heap.

2 Likes

I disagree with you, gamers rarely come to forum to praise a change, they come to complain, so a poll like that will always be biased and not show an accurate picture.
Also things that makes a game go from easy to a bit harder will always put of a lot of players that got into it because of the casual gaming style.

I blame the long period where the game just got easier almost by each update, and while I at first was happy when they introduced the dodge system back in early access, it just sort of took away some risks when getting into a fight and sort of turned the game more arcade instead of survival.
Looking back, I wish they never had added dodging to this game and instead worked on a parry/blocking system and maybe a couple of small evasive maneuvers instead.

You are right that the forum polls are a small representative of the entire Conan player base.

You are wrong in automatically assuming the silent masses lean closer to your point of view.

The forums are just a tool to connect to the part of the player base that does want to be heard. I am pretty sure Funcom doesnā€™t take polls here as doctrine.

However, just like polls everywhere, if taken honestly, it does give you a inclination.

I hope that Funcom does take polls into account, but does view them just as they are, a small selection of players.

Far more important then the polls (even though its the same slice of players) is the comments in connection to the polls from players.

Intelligent and thoughtful posts and explain problems, or detail things people enjoy can provide a much better perspective for Funcom to follow, and its not a case of them just ā€˜doing what the player base wantsā€™, and more of understanding how their additions effect their players, making smart choices and adjustments based off the feed back and making the game that Funcom Devs want to make, not just give into the demands of people.

Much like @Croms_Faithful stated (and I agree 100% with), the momentum change was a handicap to movement and a false sense of challenge. It applied a negative feel to combat across the game trying to fix a difficulty issue that it didnā€™t actually fix (and just made many many more problems in the end).

Sure, even when I was 100% against the state of momentum when the patch first went live, I could find minimal positives to the momentum change. However, the negatives that accompanied the changes so out-shadowed, out-weighed, and negatively effected the game, the few handfuls of positive it may have produced.

Challenge should come from challenging enemies. Difficult fights. Not from training weights around our ankles. Thats not a challenge against my skill, thatā€™s a challenge against luck and if the system will screw me over or not.

That is the worst thing you could ever add to the game. I have many hours of history with the Souls games also. I like the souls games and go back to them often.

You canā€™t compare this game to souls games. Its not tight and clean enough. Its not even in the same league. You canā€™t heavily restrict movement and still have really sloppy combat. That just makes for a really unenjoayble time.

Sure my decisions to move and roll need to be more precise nowā€¦

Oh, but wait!!! It doesnā€™t matter because when I rolled I just rubber banded back into the fight.

Or, I just swung my weapon and it passed through the thralls head but didnā€™t do any damage and in turn didnā€™t flinch.

Or, the thrall I just evasion rolled teleported to the other side of me.

Or, the thrall I am fight and just perfect dodged the attack of is glitching through the world, hits me anyways but doesnā€™t take any damage without a lot of maneuvering.

We had a game with sloppy combat and clean movement. The solution to sloppy combat shouldnā€™t foolishly be to make a game with sloppy combat and sloppy movement.

Iā€™d much rather clean combat and clean movement.

I donā€™t mind the dodge roll so much. The old one was broken without question. I do think they went to far with hobbling players with the new one, but I personally can live with it.

The old momentum was terrible. It crippled the game, made it far less fun, didnā€™t look remotely realistic, and honestly was a false/fake challenge to combat that didnā€™t pan out. I rather fight good AI and clean, difficult combat, rather then just make combat so sloppy and then on top of it slow, theres some false impression that something is hard when actually Iā€™m just fighting a bad combat system.

1 Like

That statement doesnā€™t apply to the momentum change.

You would be more accurate in saying ā€˜just adjustā€™, however, the momentum didnā€™t add any real challenge to the game. It just slowed the game and combat down. If anything, it makes people take less risksā€¦ But there is nothing challenging about the momentum system. That is a false argument.

Would you rather be challenged in a race by another competitive runner that pushes you to your limits and challenges you to push past what you have achieved in the past?

Or would you rather be challenged by someone knee capping you with a base ball bat right before the race to see if you could keep up with elderly people with walkers and canes?

2 Likes

I appreciate your perspective on this point as this, despite all my other grievances with the momentum change was ā€˜reason the change is badā€™ #1.

You donā€™t make a new game out of an old one. The momentum change was just a core change to the game, it effected almost every aspect of it.

The gate is down. The horses are on the track. You canā€™t change the rules mid race.

1 Like

You get both parties in the forums. The people that register to complain are a small %. most forum goers are a specific type of people that just want to participate in their gameā€™s community. They donā€™t inherently lean towards either positive or negative.

And as it has been stated throughout this thread. The momentum change is a false challenge. It isnā€™t making the game more difficult. That isnā€™t a valid argument. There are valid ways of making the game more challenging and I am all for that. However, momentum didnā€™t do that. It just made us more rickety.

Much like @Croms_Faithful stated: Would you enjoy if the game forced your mouse sensitivity down to an abysmal level so you have a harder time in the game? Itā€™ll be more challenging if you canā€™t turn your vision fast enough to attack things also, right? At least that is essentially the same exact thing as crippling movement by unrealistically slow movement.

2 Likes

Well hopefully after they adjust the movement in a way to satisfy the masses, we can get some difficulty increase through more interesting attacks and dangerous enemies.

Overall, I like the momentum, but it very much needed adjustment, at first it was far too heavy even for heavy armor, and for light it was hilariously bad. Though Iā€™d say they actually pulled back on it more than they needed to with the adjustment. At least for heavy armor it could be slightly heavier, actually, does the momentum scale with armor weight? It would make the most sense, but I honestly donā€™t even know. If it doesnā€™t it should. I should check some time.

The dodge roll Iā€™m fine with in heavy, in light it was just masochistic. Given the attack damage and range many enemies have it was either catch i-frames or get splattered in many cases, and even if you did if it was vs npc odds were good theyā€™d spin instantly in place mid combo and flatten you with the next attack before you finished the animation. No idea if they fixed that. I donā€™t care for i-frames anyway, to me they are a crutch for game mechanics.

My main issue with that was it removed the trade-off for armor classes, ā€˜armor vs mobilityā€™ - that was the choice. The dodge change made it ā€˜armor vs no armorā€™ because there was no useful mobility difference any more.

A lot of the arguments back and forth likely come from different play styles. Personally I donā€™t want a thrall doing my job for me, Iā€™m not looking to play poke-thrall. If I bring a thrall itā€™s usually to either carry stuff or level the thrall for use in base defense. They are too buggy to want to use anyway, just so much fun to watch a bearer walking into a wall shooting the bow I gave it at the ceiling forever. :unamused:

Bows are a no-go for any thrall, even archers, that you take out into the world. Just donā€™t do it. Give 'em a 2-H hammer or an axe and let them go to town. But bows are only effective on archer thralls you have parked at your base, when using them as turrets.

When I am leveling anything I give it a bow so it will stay out of my line of fire. Thralls in melee have this habit of jumping in and taking more damage from me than the opposing creature. Pets of course dont have the option and nothing is more frustrating than interrupting an attack by rolling to avoid damaging my own thrall.

1 Like

I would rather they stay in the race and try to win, then the second they start falling behind they just quit and run off into the woods. The old dodge roll system was just that. Start a a race, start losing then just disappear into the distance. The new dodge makes it where if you are in a race, then you are going to have to finish more often than not.

Cut and run to live another day, often called ā€œretreatā€. A perfectly appropriate strategy.

Not when it is every time a fight broke out. PVP and PVE-C servers were being overrun with PVE farming clans who used the sonic roll to never fight. Their is a server for those that NEVER want to melee. The new dodge at least gives some semblance of what the server type is supposed to be.

How you want to fight is your business. Nothing says the weak must be prey to the strong.

1 Like

My problems lie it that the broken economy already takes PVP and PVE-C and tilts them severely in PVE only favor. Their is nothing wrong with the play style, but PVP and PVE-C server suffer because the fighting was scarce. Thus the game was mainly PVE due to the ability to just run away at will. If one chooses not to want to fight EVER, then why even be on servers that have that as a setting. This just makes it so people who do enjoy the combat to actually have a place to share with others that enjoy that play style.

You can still attack people and destroy bases so its not like you cant do pvp. But to say someone should be hamstrung to fight your way when hit and fade is perfectly legit is not a fair perspective. To do that, everyone will tank up and the game will have a very homogenous, and in some peopleā€™s view, boring playstyle.

No, because there is always a safe alternativeā€¦pve servers.

So one wants to troll raid then. That is what that is. I go in naked, blow your stuff up, then roll off sonic style. The PVP servers i have been on since the patch have become tighter and more fun because there is actually a melee mechanic now.

1 Like

My understanding is you cannot damage structures in pve, so no, they dont have that option.