I seriously need technical help. "Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost"

As the title says I’m getting the “Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost” error when I load into a server running workshop mods, especially if I have any of the graphical settings above medium. I’m on a brand new machine, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x CPU, AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT GPU, 32gb of RAM. This should not be happening and I really don’t know what to do.

I had the same issue, with my Radeon 6950 the only thing that helped was running the graphics very low.
helped but not fixed, the issue remained.

I eventually went to an Nvidia Gforce 1660 and never had the issue again,

Sorry, I know that’s not what you wanted to hear.
I hope someone has a better answer for you, but I never found a solution.

2 Likes

So far I haven’t found a solution. If it is true that there really isn’t a fix then that is quite frustrating.

To further add to this I have tried to see if there was an inbuilt GPU on the motherboard interfering with running the game only to discover that the MoBo I’m using doesn’t come equipped with one. I’ve checked to see if the AMD app was OCing/Boosting the performance or setting a FPS cap and neither of those things were occuring either.

Hi!

First things to try :

• uninstall graphic driver + restart
  • update windows 10 + restart
  • install again graphic driver + restart
  • try others games to check.

Then :

• disable firewall / anti virus + restart.
  • disable amd apps + restart.
  • uninstall steam + conan + restart (and install again after).

Later :

• disable onboard gpu.
  • update bios and reset bios settings.
  • switch your graphic card with another friend computer.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with tips and suggestions but since then the issue has started happening with other games, so it is likely a hardware issue. I’ve returned the system so fingers crossed the next one won’t be so bad!

2 Likes

I had the same problem. AMD system with AMD card.
After several searches unfortunately always the same problem.

The AMD graphics drivers have conflicts with Windows. There has already been damage as a result.

Fortunately, this was not the case for me, but over time I could no longer play games based on the Unreal Engine.

There was talk of the Black Screen of Death (BSoD) In ​​my case, no driver update, no Windows update and no Bios update helped.

Buying an NVidia card helped. It was difficult for me to make this decision because I worked with AMD ( ATI ) from the beginning.

But now there are no more problems and I don’t regret the step. I just think it’s a pity to find a solution to the problem in this way.

Yes, AMD drivers and CE are not friends.

If a graphics settings works in one version of the driver, there is no guarantee that setting will work with the udpated driver. I use a driver from 2022, it is now stable.
Even -40mv undervolt caused the driver to drop the graphics card and restart it.

Funnily, all of the other games ran fine during this driver restart, but CE immediately dropped the error message. CE is horribly sensitive, and AMD drivers are… well, AMD drivers…
So, my best advice is to try different driver versions, and keep the one which is stable.