I Well and Truly Hate This Game/ I'm DONE

Adjust your gamma settings.

1 Like

Preface: I am a player. I also make guides. But mostly I play the tar out of this game. I joined an official server 9 weeks ago, and I have not died once, except for bracelet teleporting, which I do almost hourly.

1. You don’t specify your platform, but I feel your pain on the PS4.
  2. Plenty of them in this game, and any game.
  3. Have not had this.
  4. ?
  5. Have experienced this.
  6. Pardon?
  7. The dark is there to remind you time is still moving. If it’s too dark, lighten it.
    7a. Binding is in the left hand. Torch is too. Get illuminated bindings and illuminated 1-handed wep.
  8. I can explain almost anything building-wise. Try me.
  9. If you make it so. Try stealing.
  10. I want a copy of certain shields and weps at every safe station.
  11. Try switching to a wep you like. You may be surprised.
  12. Necessary.
    12a. Counterable.
    12b. Ask my server mates: I spend a lot of time yelling at my duders for being out of place.
  13. Debatable.
  14. ?
  15. Kick.
  16. Which of my 156 pets/thralls?
  17. Depends on the weapon.
  18. It is too simplistic and needs improvement. True.
  19. Endgame is there to end the game. Why would you do that? Who doesn’t want to be immortal?

None of these seem like game-enders to me. Considering the amount of passion it took to craft your OP, I suspect you want to play the game. And it doesn’t have to be painful.

5 Likes

They have been adjusted as high as possible without causing things to look too whited out. I think I have them sitting somewhere around 2.5 I think it was. Any higher and things just start looking whitewashed, but nothing gets any easier to see.

I can confirm.

1 Like

That’s because almost every other game handles darkness extremely poorly. Even in deep underground caves where there is no clear source of light at all, the ambient brightness is so high that you may as well be walking around the streets of Phoenix at noon.

Torches, flashlights, light sticks, night eye potions and spells, all of it rendered completely pointless because the rocks are glowing like 60w incandescent bulbs. And I don’t mean the weird radioactive alien rocks. I mean plain old, ordinary, sedimentary rocks that you can find in any driveway.

2 Likes

You must not play many games.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I mean, I’ve only been doing it since the early '80s. Can’t have been that many games released between then and now, right? :wink:

3 Likes

Released? Sure. Played by you? Not if you believe any of what you wrote earlier.

Yes, I’ve played some like that as well. Those are the exception though, often deliberately putting the player in complete darkness for the purpose of invoking a fear response because, you know, horror game. :wink:

The norm, however, is to have the environment so bright that the usual tools for dealing with dark environments don’t really have any purpose, even when said tools are included as part of the basic tool set of the character.

@Glurin

Look up a game called “Dragon’s Dogma” if you want to see how night should be done properly in a game.

1 Like

And there’s nothing particularly wrong with that preference, but I think in general survival genre games should, at least on default settings, be dark enough to require the use of torches, flashlights, whatever in situations where you’d expect to need torches, flashlights, whatever.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong about the night. Allways brings a element off danger to it, and for me that is welcome. Also rather fun to build in the dark. And for what its worth, i loved the Halloween thingy, was saddend when it was over.

Assuming you mean ps4 pro you’re working with a Radeon Polaris 911 MHz on a 4k TV, OLED maybe ?
That will explain why you hate so deeply the night, because I don’t think the ps4 version of the game is optimized for this target, but for Radeon GCN 800 Mhz (gpu of the ps4) working with full-HD TV technology. So probably your night is really very darker than most of us ever seen.

1 Like

Depends on what part of the map you’re in.

In the south desert area, it’s pretty light at night because of the clear sky and full moon. This changes if there’s a sandstorm as it blocks out the sky and the moon.

In the Highlands, it is pitch black. Because, well it’s pretty much always cloudy and raining there. Thus no moonlight.

The Frozen North is even brighter than the desert as everything is white and very illuminated.

The volcano is weird. Parts are bright, parts are pitch black. There’s no rhyme or reason to what areas are lighter than others.

Well you could certainly make a fair point that night time could stand to be even more different (and perhaps dangerous), but the light level is not what is wrong with it.

Played since day 1, bought a physical copy for 60 euros, (with all issues due to atlantean sword ok, not here to mention all known bugs of this game), created more than 400 hundreds characters and restarted at least double the times (I get bored when you get too powerful), and somehow survived and tolerate all the game threw to me.
Single player offline offered me a lot of good moments and a lot of bad moments (sadly all caused by glithces or bad programming, I remember old times when you were not able to enter razma’s door…)
I saw a lot of nerfing and upgrading, I remember my warriors/amazones not even have the animations of jump, I still wonder about the true meaning of crouching and I still love to climb up almost anywhere, but I never ranted about that: I took the game for what it was offering to me, didn’t give a sh*t if a weapon was nerfed (I still prefer iron and stone weapons, when you still are a primitive!)
But i uninstalled the game 2 weeks ago, and I do not think I’ll play it again:
it is becoming too heavy with an overencumbering amount of patches and no real game refreshing push to me.
I played the new locations, the new dungeons and somehow I loved the lore but… the game has bored me, the pet system is not so funny, the undeads are simply more stupid pets with humanoid form, and I still found terribly terribly numb that spiders are not able to climb: as all npc/monster/enemy just climb a tiny rock and they’ll forget about you: they all fight in the same way, there is nothing different in a pirate or a demons spider, only the damage output.
I loved it anyway, the artistic side of this game I loved truly… I loved the concept, the altars, the cults, the gods… even if there is nothing behind those: only some form and colours but same mechanics over and over.
I’ve built almost anywhere I think (My fav is still making a small 1st floor room INSIDE the pub where Conan is found in Sepermeru, the sunrise passing trough the cell-windows is still cool) and I traveled all points of the map trying to uncover everything I could (even with invisible ghosts, missing emojies and so on).
I did not uninstall CE because it is glitchy as fakk, but only because I think it has nothing more to offer me, the simple reskin of DLCs and stuff like that are not enough.

Thank you anyway Funcom, I’ll doubt I’ll buy another game from you (Jeeza kraist guys, you’re damn too buggy) but I still loved this amount of crap called Conan Exiles.
Thanks to all players that helped me, and all those that I helped in return.
A nice community at least, just need more bewbs, more beer, more skulls ^^

• Tselem breaks his bracelet and leaves the exile lands. Farewell fellas

4 Likes

I mean the TV has the settings tuned so the colors look real to life and the blacks are actually pure black.

When night hits in Conan Exiles, it looks like you are looking a flat wall painted black. Maybe if you are in the desert you might see a slight indication of the horizon’s silhouette, but everything else is a single indistinguishable black blob.

I am not exaggerating in the slightest.

Or straight up hunkering down for the night. For safety. Planning around the day and night cycles accordingly.

1 Like

Or spend the darkest night glued to a rock, and catch up with server chat.

2jiigg

Nothing like a good round of Spin that [Mouse]Wheel! :wink:

1 Like