So now the bosses aggro you and not your high health, high effort to obtain and train, hours of harvesting to equip thrall (I mean why should all that effort be rewarded with more attainable victories right):
- Hit boss with a high level weapon and 40 strength to take 0.1% of their health
- Get hit for 25% of your health no matter how good your armour and vit are
- Roll away, run away, consume heal potion
- Repeat the same thing for 30 minutes
- If you accidentally cross an invisible line 20 minutes in, watch the boss reset all its health (that represents hours of resource gathering in healing materials, weapon and armour durability- all wasted)
- Run out of healing stuff, die/flee, and lose easily 50+ hours worth of progress in a dungeon you can’t return to, or in consumed materials
Is this more challenging? YES. Is it more FUN? NO! It is pretty much the antithesis of fun. You’ve turned the whole game into a chore.
This game has like 50 bosses. Why should every single one take an hour of dodging and rolling to beat?
Thrall tanking wasn’t cheap. It wasn’t cheesing. And it was fun!
Now maybe, it was a little unbalanced that the thrall took ALL the aggro. Sure. Maybe you could make the boss randomly change targets every 5-15 seconds? Then you still have to be careful, dodge, and heal. And the AI appears more real, as it’s trying to fight off both its attackers.
Just trying to make the game harder and harder makes it more and more of a chore. You do realise people play and put harvesting effort in for the REWARD, which is the feeling of being able to confidently defeat a boss at the top level, right? Spending the whole fight running away from it is NOT REWARDING.
There’s a fine challenge in PVP. Every good game in the world is masterable SP- because mastering it feels good for players. Except this one now, where the game cannot be mastered, it is merely survived by nothing but a long and easily losable slog of farming, and then dodging and running away from the bosses in a long, slow, and samey attrition.
If the top reward I can hope for is running, dodging, and healing my way through a boss fight, what’s there to play for?