Game mode: Checked on Single-player most likely it affects all game modes.
Type of issue: Performance
Server type: All (probably)
Region: All (probably)
Focusing the camera on the area of the new The Isle of Dawn biome of Isle of Siptah significantly reduces game performance. Increases GPU consumption up to 100% and reduces the number of drawn FPS.
Reason: The light-colored grass, which is rendered and animated even when viewed from a far distance causes this problem.
Only one type of grass creates low performance issue.
This light-colored grass should behave like other objects (grass) of this type. It should not be rendered and animated at the best quality in the most distant terrain seen.
Note: Graphics card used for the test: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4+8) 12 GB
- Change the graphic settings to the lowest.
- The V-sync setting is not important.
- Enabled setting for low performance laptops reduces GPU consumption slightly.
- Off: GPU consumption looking at old land 45%, at new land 100%.
- On: GPU consumption looking at old land 25%, at new land 75%.
- Resolution 1920x1080 (borderless).
- Note: Most likely I also had the FPS cap turned on at the 30 value.
- Create a new game (without buildings and other players).
- Stand facing the new land of Siptah.
- You must stand so that you can see as much space as possible in front of you or high enough so that nothing blocks the view.
- At low settings, you need to be closer new lands just to notice that increase GPU usage drastically.
- At higher settings, you can be further new lands just to notice that increase GPU usage drastically.
- Check GPU usage level.
- It should be much higher than usual.
- Turn the camera over to the old lands.
- GPU usage level should be usual (lower).
The photo was taken with the smallest possible graphics settings (and enabled setting for low performance laptops). I look from a high cliff at the end of the island, I look at the other end.
- The light-colored grass is visible to the farthest land!
- The grass (1) is close, animated.
- The grass (2,3,4) is far, definitely animated.
- You can see the grass (5,6,7) animation at all distances.
As you fly above the ground, you will notice that when grass begins to appear (at far distance, over 2 quadrants of map), GPU consumption increases. I also checked it on the lowest graphics settings.
Addition: When we stand in the middle of The Isle of Dawn (some grass is in front of us and the rest is behind us / unseen) the GPU consumption is not that high - this also confirms the grass as the reason for the low performance.
Note: Since new areas of Siptah emerged, I have seen many posts and a few topics related to this case (low performance, LOD issue). I will try to paste at least some of the newest in the next posts.
Edit: I deleted the duplicate sentence. All edited / added sentences are marked with a pen icon at the end.
Edit: I added another detail.