Login issues, errors, or stuck at area loading screen

Hi All,
I decided to give another try to SW:L after a long break, and unfortunately I’m not able to even get into the game. When trying to log in, I get one of the following:

• ‘can’t authenticate with the character server’ error, or
  • ‘lost connection to the Territory Manager’ error, or
  • I’m stuck at the area loading screen - 0% and no progress

I know that similar connectivity issues have been reported in the past, but I don’t recall seeing a solution. If anyone has any tips or ideas, kindly share them here.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Not sure what you tried last time, but from other posts, the first question is are you using a Funcom account or a Steam account?

1 Like

Hi, it is a Funcom account/client, with a fresh installation of the game done only yesterday. After installing (and encountering said errors) I also did ‘Repair Broken Data’ in the launcher 2 or 3 times, I switched from using DX11 to DX9 and then back (even though I don’t believe that the issues are graphics related), and that’s about it. None of that really helped.

I also double checked that the account itself is fine & still active, as I am able to log in to https://account.secretworldlegends.com/ without problems - and in the game I’m occasionally able to log in & get to the character selection screen.

The authentication and territory manager problems are a plague on Steam, so I’m surprised to hear that it’s happening on the Funcom client. You should check that your firewall settings are configured appropriately. Though if you say you can occasionally get into the game it sounds more like it’s a routing issue. Could be some weirdness in your router or ISP, or something with the routing between you and the game servers in New Jersey.

Try running several traceroutes to dm020-nj4.lego.funcom.com and see what happens. This is the main game server. Yes, I know it says lego. Just go with it.

Also try 207.244.103.110 and dm02-nj4.ageofconan.com which are part of the login and/or authentication server. I’m not exactly sure what is what.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply darxide - you well may be getting onto something :slight_smile:

Re: firewall - As far as I can tell, I am allowing all SW:L executables through. Are there any specific settings/rules etc. that I should enable?

Re: trace route -
Unfortunately for dm020-nj4.lego.funcom.com I can’t even resolve the URL - so can’t trace or even ping that server!

I can trace the other two URLs, but the results look a bit funny to say the least:
Tracing route to dm02-nj4.ageofconan.com [37.18.192.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

• 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms homerouter.cpe [192.168.1.250]*
  • 2 33 ms 28 ms 28 ms 10.163.99.4*
  • 3 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 4 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 5 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 6 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 7 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 8 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 9 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 10 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 11 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 12 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 13 112 ms 110 ms 108 ms dm02-nj4.ageofconan.com [37.18.192.36]*

Trace complete

Tracing route to 207.244.103.110 over a maximum of 30 hops

• 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms homerouter.cpe [192.168.1.250]*
  • 2 32 ms 28 ms 29 ms 10.163.99.4*
  • 3 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 4 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 5 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 6 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 7 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 8 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 9 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 10 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 11 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 12 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 13 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 14 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 15 * * * Request timed out.*
  • 16 125 ms 119 ms 119 ms 207.244.103.110*

Trace complete.

This well may be due to my ISP (Vodafone Ireland by the way) as each other trace route (e.g. to 8.8.8.8) looks similar to thatt too.

Those results are a ping spam filter. 28-110 ms isn’t bad.

For steam when authentication acts up we cancel it and log in again, might take several attempts but it should go through.

Thanks rephaim. That’s what I also do, but results vary: you may get lucky at your attempt #5, but you may also be trying 20+ times with no luck. Plus, when you’re finally in the game - each teleport/rezoning may well result (and usually does) in getting stuck at 0% of the area loading screen :frowning:

1 Like

Well that’s not helpful at all. Every node between you and the server is ignoring ping requests. Makes it hard to diagnose routing problems. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a deliberate obfuscation attempt to hide poorly performing network nodes.

The ping time to the servers isn’t bad, but what we’re trying to see is if there are dropped packets and we can’t really tell that without a functioning trace.

Could you post your ClientLog.txt file somewhere and post the link? pastebin.com should work.

Thanks darxide. I pasted the ClientLog here: SWL_ClientLog.txt - Pastebin.com. It was a typical attempt to authenticate which failed/timed out eventually.

This line caught my attention.

[2021-09-28 22:46:56Z #12230] [ID:0] ERROR: Net - HandleRead Error: The network connection was aborted by the local system

This kind of thing could possibly be normal, though. I don’t know the login process well enough, but I was hoping something would stand out and that’s really all I see. At this point I’d check your firewall settings. I’m assuming you’re on Windows 10? If you’ve been gone a while, who knows what might have changed in your settings. Windows updates are known for being… “funny” sometimes when it comes to system settings and making unwanted changes.

You’ll want to make sure ports 7000, 7001, 7002, 7010, 7015, 443, and 80 are open to both of the game’s executables. I just quit my game and did the whole login process and these are the ports shown in my network monitor. Also make sure your router isn’t killing things on it’s end, too.

Thanks again darxide. Yes, I’m on a standard Windows 10. I added rules to the firewall to basically allow all traffic via all ports through to the SWL binaries; unfortunately that didn’t improve the situation. On the router (Huawei B528) I couldn’t find an option for port opening/forwarding.

At this point I’m short on ideas. The problem is either somewhere between you and the game servers or on your end. The game and the login servers are working just fine at the moment, so they can be ruled out. I’m also not seeing anyone else having this problem on the forums or Discord, so I’m thinking it may be something in your settings or possibly even your ISP. Have you tried posting on Discord? There is more activity there and someone else may know how what else to try. Post in #bugs-and-feedback and I’m sure someone will help you.