Momentum-based movement - Feedback thread

If it keeps happening with the new save, you definitely need to open a thread in the bugs forum. That’s clearly a bug. And it’s not what people are normally experiencing in the game.

In my in-game experience so far, riding slower is worse. The best way I found to achieve a tight turn is to accelerate to galloping speed and then press back and turn keys together for the duration of the turn, and then go back to accelerating. It also works marginally better with the saddles that are marked as “maneuverability” saddles, as opposed to “defense” and “speed” saddles.

Now, I don’t have any horse-riding experience to speak of, but I found the horse movement to be pretty fun once I got the hang of it. To me, that’s much more important than how realistic it is :slight_smile:

Even worse, they will run into a small log or a boulder and just … stop. They won’t automatically jump over it or steer around it. Like I said, I don’t know a lot about horses, but I’ve heard they can do that and, even if they couldn’t, it would make sense in the context of a video game.

You do need to be able to aim your weapon for mounted combat. Conan Exiles is a multiplayer game with a competitive aspect, so they won’t implement any mechanism that will assist you in targeting. Therefore, you have to aim your weapon yourself. That’s why the steering requires keyboard, so you can aim with your mouse.

That being said, there are two solutions for that and they’re not mutually exclusive:

1. Allow players to switch between the existing keyboard-steering mode and a new mouse-steering mode. The former would be on by default. The latter would allow you to steer with the mouse, but it would fix your weapon’s aim on the horizontal axis in the same way the lance aim is currently fixed.
  2. Fix the autorun logic so that it doesn’t automatically turn off when you steer your mount with the keyboard. There’s already a bug report for that and it has been relayed to the devs. I’m hoping they will choose to do this, at least.

If you haven’t already done so, I would highly recommend watching the recording of today’s dev stream on YouTube:

And stay tuned for @Multigun’s stream recap – he’s our hero who always goes to the effort of summarizing the dev streams in a forum post, so people can easily search for the details they’re interested in :heart: