New Engine "Fullscreen" mode wrong aspect ratio

If you run the new engine with fullscreen (default) instead of changing it to windowed (borderless windowed is fine too) the characters/world will seem squashed vertically, everyone is a bit shorter and fatter essentially.

This was an issue with the engine way way back when it was first given to the users to test. The workaround was to run it in borderless windowed, and that for some reason runs fine.

Problem is you need to run the same desktop resolution as the game resolution or the screen will be a small box in the center of your desktop or be bigger than the screen.

This was recently tested on an intel machine with an Nvidia 1050, but I have also experienced it years back on my old intel machine with an Nvidia 680.

Unless its nvidia specific it should be reproducible on any machine. I’ve tested it at 1080p and 1440p as well as 4k.

You can run the new engine at any resolution you wish in any aspect ratio you wish, simply type in a custom resolution. The squish in full screen is an engine fault, and not GPU/system specific.

Also fullscreen borderless is more stable, and allows you to tab out of game without crashing.
For more on stability
See here.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool!

Is there any fix for the full screen squish?

Borderless Fullscreen is great, but if you run a higher resolution monitor but still want/need to run the game at 1080p (or any resolution lower than your desktops) for performance reasons, it will just be a small screen centered on your monitor, or you need to change your desktop resolution to match the games first every single time you run it, which is what i’m currently doing, and that’s kind of a pain.

With the new engine a 680 will handle 1440p without running more than 40% GPU usage.
If you’re running a system that’s balanced for 4k monitor then it should have no performance issues with AO at all.
The game is still very CPU intensive however.

It’s an I7 with a GTX 1050 (which raw power wise is just slightly behind a 680), 4k is a bit too much in many zones, often running at 30-40fps and sometimes hitting mid 20’s when there is too many people. 1080p usually runs a solid 60 unless its really densely populated (or the new ICC, something is just wrong with that place).

1440 would probably be fine in most areas (though some situations id assume it would still dip below desirable frame rates), but were back the old desktop resolution being different issue in windowed mode again.

Realworld 4k-60 gaming lies with 1080ti and the new 2080 cards for new titles.
Though you can drop some settings and get a 980/ti to work at that resolution.
A 1050, not really. :confused:

And as for ICC…

I’ll quote myself

“ICC where frame rates … go to die”

but… but… the game is supposed to be dead? :speak_no_evil: