Secret World Reading List

I didn’t see this reading list thread, I should have posted here.

My personal favourite is probably Imajica just for the scale and scope of it, but Weaveworld is a close second. His mix of horror and fantasy is just perfect.

2 Likes

I came here to recommend Weaveworld, but you beat me to it. It’s a great story that I rarely see mentioned.

2 Likes

The “Rivers of London” books by Ben Aaronovitch. - they are like Harry Dresden meets The Bill (an old London based police tv series for those not from the UK) I think there’s about six of these by now as well as a couple of Graphic Novels. For me they have much more of a secret world feel to them than the Dresden books do.

1 Like

How could you guys compile a list like this and NOT include Neil Gaiman?

The Invisibles by Grant Morrison is almost identical to the Secret World mythos:

2 Likes

What is the name of the character holding the pistol?

1 Like

It’s not the best written novel ever, but it surprised the heck out of me by being an actually decent piece of fiction, and one I would actually recommend to people interested in the genera (provided, as always, you have a decent B.S. Filter). It doesn’t really get (real life) political or preachy (Fake Life, is another matter, it can get both there) and has a decent bit of action going on.

If we are talking Grant Morrison, then it would be crazy (snicker) not to mention his iconic run of The Doom Patrol, one of the greatest Comics ever written. As far as I’m concerned, it’s right up there with Watchmen and Identity Crisis.

2 Likes

Kingmob is holding the pistol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doom Patrol is indeed an amazing run. Invisibles, however, is the exact same subject matter, and ends in SPOILERS Kingmob creating a modern world occultish MMO!

Television series often have a lot to live up to when based on books, but given how this one fit with the Secret World, it should be worth at least look when it comes out.

I can see at the very least the in universe League of Monster Slayers (not the cabal, though I’m sure more than a few of us as well), enjoying the “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” books as younger kids, and possibly inspiring some to fight the horrors of the world.

Try some warhammer/40k stuff,and you Will see where the chaos magic/dreamers coming
The dragons after all is likely to being a cult corrupted by Tzeentch within the secret world
There are memes around the game related to wh/40k like gork/mork being champions in Transylvania etc.

The gamesworkshop stuff is a different genre really, there’s no suggestion that it could be real, we’re just unaware. It draws on many similar ideas, but places them into a fantasy or dark future setting.
There’s no Mork in SWL, and Gork isn’t a reference to the ork god, it’s a bit of nasty medical slang for someone who’s suffered massive brain damage and is being kept alive by machines. It means God Only Really Knows how they didn’t die, which fits the fact it’s a massive ghoul. It’s possible that games workshop were inspired by the same thing ofc.

Our very own long standing community member Dots/@Blodwedd was given licence by Funcom to publish her own works based on The Secret World universe, they make fantastic reading, you can find the first three novels at Amazon worldwide.

https://blodweddmallory.com/

7 Likes

Thanks for that heads up!
Just bought the series.

3 Likes

Snapshot by Joe Hill, in the Strange Weather collection, is very TSW/SWL-ish.

https://viewcomiconline.com/jenny-finn-01-of-04-2017/

1 Like