Stuttering / Audio crackling / UseAudioThread=true

Game mode: Single-player
Type of issue: Bug | Performance | Misc
Server type:
Region:

I once found out (by trial and error) that setting UseAudioThread=false in the [Audio] section of BaseEngine.ini reduces the stuttering, eliminates most audio issues (crackling, etc. during each stutter/freeze) that come with it and make the game slightly more playable (event though it doesn’t run as good as I think it should) and enjoyable again.

Each update, since then, reverts my configuration back to UseAudioThread=true and I have an unplayable mess. Is there any reason for people that don’t have these performance issues to have it set to true? Was it a concious decision by the developers to have it set that way? If so, why?

Can someone, that plays this game, volunteer and check whether changing this setting fixes/worsens his experience regarding performance (pretty please)?

Thanks

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Change UseAudioThread=true to UseAudioThread=false
  2. Remarkably Less stuttering/freezes/crackling/popping.
2 Likes

Hey @sono

Thanks for the heads-up. Could you let us also know your hardware configuration?

1 Like

Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
RAM: 16384MB RAM
DirectX: DirectX 12
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon ™ R9 380 Series
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Phoebus

It’s copy-pasted/copyied from various places, hope it’s enough.

Thanks for the additional information. We’re aware of some issues with AMD hardware so we’ll send a reminder to our team.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.