Thrall Limit Discourages Clans, Encourages Solo Play - Increases Base Count

Through talks with the players on our server, we have come to the conclusion that imposing a thrall limit will, for PvE at least, result in the opposite of what the intentions were in the first place. Many are already speaking out about how they will separate their 5-10 member clans in to individual clans to get by this thrall limit. What does this mean?

For a single clan of 5 members, instead of a 75 thrall cap and a single base you will now be faced with five individual clans, five individual bases, and a 50 thrall cap for each clan, with a maximum yield of 250 thralls.

While I understand the intentions of a thrall cap, we feel as if the opposite will end up being the actual case. Not only will servers not see as dramatic a decline in thralls as intended, they will see a rise in structures which are effectively worse than thralls in terms of performance from what I can tell.

4 Likes

Yes, this has been the problem with Funcom’s follower cap formula right from the start, and many of us pointed it out on the Great Feedback Thread back then.

There are several very valid rebuttals, or at least mitigating arguments:

• This disincentive for clans will only affect newcomers. People who are already in clan are very unlikely to go through the whole mess of splitting up. It will happen in some clans, but more people will talk about it than actually go through with it.
  • Having no clanmates has some very real problems. For one thing, it complicates going on vacation. It’s an important incentive to clan up despite the follower cap.
  • The follower cap is meant to reduce the server performance impact that comes from excessive followers. Even if a clan with N members and M followers ends splitting up, the follower cap is doing it’s work if M > N * 50. This is much more common than people suspect: I’ve personally seen clans with more than 500 followers and fewer than 10 members.

Personally, I support the follower cap wholeheartedly, but I don’t like Funcom’s proposed formula. They’re still tweaking the numbers, but the formula is a simple linear function with a free constant: L(n) = Mn + C, where n is the number of clan members, C is the “base cap” for the clan (50 in the original formula), M is the “per member” increase (5 in the original formula), and L is the limit for the clan.

I think they should get rid of C and just make the limit be L(n) = Mn. That way every player always gets the same allotment of followers and there are no disincentives to forming (or joining) a clan.

12 Likes

Yes, it will be higher, but if it uses the same type of formula, the disincentive is still there. It’s a valid concern to express and good feedback to offer.

2 Likes

Indeed, this would prove to be a much better formula. It still limits the amount of thralls a clan/person is able to place while not completely dismantling clans by severely impacting their thrall count.

I am interested to see how they move forward.

1 Like

I’ve had to clean up a clan that blasts seven or more animals pens, fully loaded. That doesn’t seem like much until that clan filled up the pens with more little ones. So, now it’s doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. the number of followers. You know it’s full when going near that base, which cost of rendering, especially the first time, almost crashes the client.

2 Likes

I am not sure, but seem to remember that annimals in pens don’t count to the limit. So people could continue to have massive purge, gold, silver farms

1 Like

Yes its both bad and silly that we have to babysitt the game and bound to it all the time!

Yes the risk is to big to join up a clan whit someone you dont know, have to be a real life frend or maybe some one you have build up a trust to after a long time gaming. Othervise you risk loosing everything by looting or ben kicked or simply baned if one member do some stupid stuff.

1 Like

I would really like to see the ability to pick up fighter thralls and store them, without losing their levels. Then any follower cap doesn’t matter as much cause you can just store any amount for a rainy day.

In addition to this I would like to see the ability to place crafter thralls down as fighters. Then you could dress them however you wanted, pick them up again, and place them in a bench.

3 Likes

I kind’ve support the thrall cap but it all depends on what the numbers will be once it’s finally announced … before my last member left and quit the game when the thrall cap was first announced about a year ago he helped me get my old accounts I had but stopped using into the clan so even though I’m a solo player I could have more thralls I’m pretty sure many solo players have already done this as well … I guess will just have to wait and see what the finals numbers will be hopefully soon

1 Like

Me too, but I’m a PVE-C player. I imagine they don’t want to implement it because it would be abused on PVP servers. Just pick up an army of thralls from your base, run to your enemy’s base, place your army, commence the raid.

They don’t count. Neither do crafters. Only those followers that are placed in the world, because they have AI.

1 Like

what about a 100 limit for everyone and nothing affects clans.

Yes, to bad they removed that option. Now i can be a problem whit the leveling and gear change but as many time sugested b4 ad an barak/Zoo/gravyard you can plase thralls and animals and undead to sleep and more and be able to spawn when needed. then they will just be as a loot in a box and no stress on the server.

Another reason to ad separat rules for pvp and pve. Understand as you say the problem on pvp but a blessing on pve. But as some barak/Zoo/gravyard to store spawned folowers to spare the servers.

There are mods that allow you to pick up building pieces instead of getting 1/3 of the mats back when you demolish them. They’re rather popular, too.

I’m just saying, if you’re going to criticize something, provide some arguments why it’s bad, instead of a vague slippery slope prophecy :wink:

Specifically, I don’t see what’s so bad about being able to pick up your thralls in a pure PVE game.

7 Likes

It should be different for pve and pvp. The settings are already there, so it can be done.
As for discourage, how many 10 man clans have 10 bases worth if the right types of named ctafters? Also purges. Splitting up is still less efficient tbh. As for purges (the only real pve reason to have high thrall co7nt) once you get about 10 - 15 decent thralls at any base, it is purge proof.

3 Likes

My dear friend I have just one question ? Why a pve clan needs more than this cap Thralls and followers ? A nusty habit of some persons to build all over the map like they own it must have an end sometime . Last week I tried to invite a new player in Conan exiles , because we are Europeans I decided to take him in a European server to be sure that he will accept purges in a normal time zone . I am telling this because I participate in American Servers and specifically on 3728 I have to stay awake from 3:00 to 4:00 after midnight , to accept purge . Anyway , in every single official server I tried to join , some unorthodox guy had builded almost all the starting River , starting from the abysmal darfari camp till the great statues , now , if these servers has this complex from the beginning , do I need to see more ? The servers are free for everyone , in pve world you don’t need great bases or building for hours or months , all you need to do is learn the damn game and have fun with others , that’s why you go online , if you want 300 pets do it solo , do not go online destroying others fun .

3 Likes

I mean, if I say a mod is popular, that would imply that it’s popular on private servers and in single-player, so that should answer that question. Unless it was rhetorical.

As for not seeing anyone request it for official servers, there was a post just this week asking for the dismantling to return full mats instead of 1/3.

Just because I mentioned that there is a point of view that dares to be different from yours doesn’t mean that I want it for myself.

Ah. Hyperbole on top of slippery slope. Got it :wink:

Yes, and? You do realize that if I have to pick up or dismantle building pieces, I’m not gaining anything? It’s not like it’s going to make it easier to build a new base, it only makes it easier if you want to move.

And I am just amazed how quickly some people will turn a civil discussion into gratuitous name-calling and epeen-measuring contest :roll_eyes:

At any rate, the discussion about building pieces is entirely off-topic and we’re going to derail this thread if we continue.

The suggestion was to pick up a follower and convert it into an inventory item that you can later place again, without changing anything. In other words, it wouldn’t be rerolled, it would simply have the same stats and levels it had before you picked it up. @Ascophyllum specifically said that:

So he (or she) wasn’t proposing what you said, and I wasn’t either. I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the slot machine mechanics, but I’m definitely not proposing to circumvent it through an endless “game” of picking up and placing the thrall again.

Dude, I might spend a lot of time on these forums and keep a collection of useful bookmarks, but even I don’t remember every post from 2019. Of course I want reasons :smiley:

4 Likes

Collecting is more RP.

I am talking pure PVE.

And I am not against PVE having a different make up to keep clans together.
But if anyone things PVE NEEDS more than 10-15 per base, then they are not doing something right. If you want more that’s okay. But if F7ncom goes on wants only, then what is the right number. Everyone wants something different.
Test and you will see 10-15 named fighters are enough to deter purges that are bugged.

You mentioned “packing up the base”. I mentioned picking up building pieces as an example of something that is:

1. similar to what you said
  2. already popular among numerous players outside official servers
  3. a recurring request for the base game

If that “antagonizes” you enough to write a series of confrontational posts, then I don’t know what to say. :man_shrugging:

“E-peen” is not a sexual term, just like “pіssing contest” doesn’t actually refer to urination. It’s idiomatic usage.

Honestly, @Halk, I didn’t want any conflict with anyone here and I’m trying to learn how to de-escalate, but it’s not easy when someone flies off the handle at you just because you dared contradict them… I still haven’t mastered the advanced de-escalation techniques, such as “shutting up and letting the angry guy have the last word”.

4 Likes