Update Destroys fighting system

You’re joking right? Prior to this update, all you had to do was run into a camp and brute force attack and spam-heal. You can’t do that anymore. Also, if you run out of stamina now, you literally have to rest or it will not regenerate.

Completely different strategies and management are needed now.

I couldn’t disagree more. I feel the combat has greatly improved.

Now, here I agree. I think the fighting could be improved. (See For Honor game) Some additional combos would be great too. Again, I refer to the fighting in For Honor.

You’re insane. There is no such thing as instant healing. Never should be. Same thing with the previous food healing. Instant healing isn’t being a good player, it’s being a good spammer. You should never be able to heal wounds while climbing a wall or in the middle of active combat or performing any other action…because you’re healing and bandaging.

You feel it’s better to stand there and do nothing while you heal? LOL. The animation is to pass the time without boring you. EVERY game I can think of where you heal someone or yourself there is an animation for healing…Even Fortnight, COD, Dead By Daylight, Apex, and more.

1 Like

Don’t ask questions you don’t want to hear the answers of.

I could care less about the lone wolf solo player getting ganked, corpse camped, and zero’d out in a PVP situation. You’re speaking to someone who wiped out one quarter of a MMORPG’s server with a single screenshot (long story short, I confirmed zerging accusations against the guild I was in by posting a screenshot of a 3100 player roster, having their fears ‘confirmed’ many just up and left. However the screenshot was doctored, the guild only had 300 members at the time).

Someone who would target a guild’s lowbies and have several people corpse camp them until they quit their guild. All to show the enemy guild they could not even defend their own members and kept it going till they paid tribute or quit.

PVP isn’t one player vs one player, or even one player vs a few. Its many vs many in complex webs of diplomacy, coercion, cooperation, competition, friendships, and adversity.

I doubt this is a conversation you are prepared to have.

Death. LOL First, that’s not cowardice. That’s intelligence. Live to fight another day. Use stealth or other tactics. What kind of a fool would take on a mob by himself?
That was just a silly response from you as you answered the question in your reply.

They’re bigger, better equipped, and more numerous…lol You don’t take them head-on.

I get what you’re saying, but a solo player should NOT be playing LIKE he’s a group player. Taking on a mob is not something a solo player should be done using a direct approach.

You seem to want to brag that you took on four players and won. Okay, then impress me with using traps, or barricades or palisades, or any other means of creatively overcoming the odds.

THAT is what a solo player should be focusing on. Not brute force. Why? Because you are outnumbered, under-equipped and weaker.

1 Like

I think Funcom secretly tested this on some of the skeletons. M13 harbour one of the skeletons there is using a 2h hammer. It had/has the same animation as we have now for 2h weapons.

Coincidence? maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like the system needs a tweak, especially if there is a pause in combat action - where it was stated your character does not move for a second.

Instead of arguing about the change in favor or against. How about propose a reasonable combat system that would work and remove the exploit(s) to make the game better for all. Then have a discussion about it to tweak it the proposed system before trying to convince Funcom to look at the suggest change.

I would suggest cover the entire combat system, mounts, all weapons, dodging, blocking, healing, etc.

I would suggest post it in a new thread.

2 Likes

Funcom please look at this one more time, I do think that it needs re-tweaks. This is farm from perfect.

Prio list.

1. wish is to bring back & nerf off hand swapping.
  2. wish re-tweak it, I can already point out alot of issues with it,
  • If you want to make it like that makes it so that every “swing” has to count from the moment the first swing ends - Currently I can que x2 hits up just by clicking fast on the mouse x2 times in my firts hit. Which is fairly annoying.

But in all honesty just bring the old one back, dont waste time & resources trying to balance it, people might not like it again & again & again. Much easier to just put the one back.

Cool story, did you graduate top of your class in the navy seals with 300 confirmed kills too?

3 Likes

Zerg Simulator 2021.

My clan has now more than 35 players.
we play on different servers and when we need an extra strenght, we call people to join the server in need. Some of them are playing other games, but when the war comes to us, they join our ranks.
at this exactly moment there are 23 friends on our discord, playing the game.
And even then, i still complain about the changes. A skilled player should be able to fight against more than one oponent. It’s a reward for the time spent on the game. Training, learning how to fight, counter and etc.

Besides this, FUNCOM said that in this new update you should be able to fight against multiple oponents if you are skilled enough, but it won’t happen.
We were training on this new 2.4 build since test live and yesterday we’ve made a 10x10 on our test server. it was a lame battle. everybody locked into animations spamming mouse clicks because there’s nothing you can do. EVEN to dodge roll you have to wait for the window in animation montage.
To heal your wounds is another issue. If you get hit first, no matter the skill of your oponent, you have to run indefinitely to find a safe place to heal, otherwise you are done.

Horse combat is still the meta, you still instakill ppl with a lance.

1 Like

Why? You forgot how to avoid taking damage? You hate seeing people running in circles around you? I would have loved seeing that fight live, i am sure i would have rofl for 2 days :slight_smile:
10x10 is always FUN! How the hell you managed to make it “lame”? :smiley:

Maybe get more interest in Agility then and drop the 2 handers until you get used to the changes.

Maybe you look again into agility, maybe add vitality to it aswell.

You cannot run Indefinitely. I out run you, you are done…

Yes, i barely noticed a difference. Finally a +1 for you. Depends on the armor your opponent is using though and as now its heavy or leavy, most are going for heavy.

Let me ask you two things though…and please answer me one the matters.

1. Why do you use this say always “everybody locked into animations”, why do not say… “why it is taking so long to come out of them? Why am i always thinking of doing a full combo on my opponent?”
  2. Have you seen any of the new weapons coming with Siptah? Just an example.

I am indeed :slight_smile:

I actually found out I was doing animation cancelling without even knowing it. Not heavily affecting me in PVE combat, I just found I can’t sheath my weapon as quickly in combat. I’ve actually found combat to be better by not being able to sheath weapons. It’s actually became more strategic in a lot of ways.

2 Likes

Then its not your game anymore. Find another. This one has been taken.

we are already body vaulting everything, even a friend who was a server owner is giving up.
He will close his server this week.
It is really sad, most players in my clan just downloaded rust to try another game.
I will continue in Conan because I think i’m ■■■■■■■■■
And probably everybody will be gone when New world launches.

1 Like

That’s not intentional. It’s a bug and they’re working on fixing it:

Maybe you’ve never fought a group fight. But when there are 10 x 10 you have little space and there are a lot of people spamming attacks everywhere.
As i said, EVEN to dodge roll you must wait for the animation window to do it. What we did before this update was to sheath the weapon, roll and unsheath. This was on the game since the beginning (or at least since the launch)
Most of animations has a lot of unecessary movements (like 2h sword for ex / new spear dash attack) you lost a lot of time on this animation.
I think they tried to bring back the feeling from Poke n roll meta that was on the game, but it’s not near the same thing. I was good on that meta (from feb 2018 to somewhere 2019), not the best one, but i could handle myself.

The actual combat looks nothing like this old one.

Agility has nothing to do with weapon animation montage. Agility speed up the recover from dodge animation.

I always build at least 40 vitality. it’s mandatory for PvP build since i don’t know when.
But we’ve tried 50 vitality, i think it’s the meta now, but even then it didn’t help that much.
There’s a cooldown of around 20~30 seconds for 50 vit perk to happen.
The best healing foods heals for 25 hp/3-5 seconds (i don’t remember the correct time).
It’s impossible to heal yourself in the middle of a fight, if you get hit first, it probably means you gonna die.

by Indefinitely i meant, until you find a safe place… inside a building, over a rock or anything else… you must be kidding here. only with admin rights you can run indefinitely.

on group pvps (2.4) it’s better to spam right 1h sword clicks than almost anything else.
for small fights like 1x1, 2x2, spear can be useful. hammers too
and bows are very strong now. because you can move and shoot

1 Like

I’m not, I used those skills constantly for challenging enemies (Bosses, that is, since they’re the only enemies that are interesting to fight.)

I’m not sure why you would bother to run into a camp, they’re not important and generally lack useful resources. Apart from farming at the mounds or new asgard on EL, no point.

Having said that, everytime I go farming, it’s typically a meat grinder. I’ve always had stamina management, strategy, positioning, etc in mind. Maybe it’s because the PvE I focus on is boss fighting, but spam-clicking mindlessly was never an option for me and I never considered it useful unless I caught the boss at a vulnerable moment. Weaving, timing, stam management, positioning, etc. That’s how you beat a boss on your own. Some gimmicks still apply: you can cheese your way through a lot with a shield or hiding behind a pillar or something, but I hate cheese.

Having PvE’d basically only boss fights for a year, when I started to dabble in PvP a few months back, I found that essentially all the core skills applied… including -canceling-, which worked in conjunction with reading and adapting to your opponent and allowed one to practice mobility, and react to the enemy efficiently. Since my weapon of choice was very weak at opening up holes in defenses, my entire battle plan had been built on baiting attacks and then opening up with a counter attack, using my safe window of time, then getting out to rest as fast as i could before taking the next opportunity I saw.

It was a very fast dance, but not random, nor spammy. Coordinated and precise. “Dancing” like that doesn’t really work anymore, at least not like it used to, because the recovery time of animations is so slow, it robs you of the very very narrow window of opportunity to start moving and escape… At least, this seems to be the case for 2h weapons, which is unfair and not as realistic as people want to claim it is. 1h weapons are really fast by comparison so those can still ‘dance.’ I suspect they will become the meta soon, particularly the 1h sword, since they suffered the least from this patch.

Having experimented with several different builds and fighting bosses in singleplayer (White Tiger, the big Rocknose King, the scorpion queen, etc) I’ve found that you can still pseudo-dance even without sprint attacks and relying constantly on dodging, but the clunk is real and there is still some dodge reliance. Like…

I’d say with enough practice, you can reduce it from heavy reliance to medium reliance. But unless you’re using daggers, you’ll still be relying on dodging regularly, with the exception of giant spider bosses; you can still walk in circles around them while attacking their legs and get 1 to 3 combos in unhindered, you just have to know when the timing’s gone wrong and you need to back off.

But you only spent couple of weeks training, learning how to fight without unequip/equip.

I have. Sometimes more than that (multiple clans vs multiple clans). It’s it’s often really confusing with plenty of opportunity to run away.

I think the combat system still need a lot of tweaks, mostly in heal speed and recovery times, but I really don’t mind people dying a lot faster.

I get fights against multiple opponents are gonna be really tough with new heals, but overall I’m still for it. I hated the old heal system. It’s been a while since I dueled but in the end I started demanding no heals and imo it was way more fun. a 1v1 should be fast.

And I don’t mind 5 being able to zerg me down. I could already run and hide from people on a horse (while on foot) so I guess I can still do the same with a mob on foot.

I guess it hurts people who want to be “dominant” and fight everyone everywhere. Personally I always preferred to just lay low until we can raid their base on our terms.

the problem is that with this new combat system there are few possibilities to train. There’s not much to do but roll, attack and wait for the animation.
In training I am managing to kill everyone using the bow. Only weapon that can be made 1x2 or even 1x3 today.

As for the healing system, to be honest I liked the animation of the potion, I liked it becoming the main source of healing, but the combat system + this change in healing does not match.
The animation should be faster perhaps.
And I still liked the idea of having a specific item to cure bleeding (wraps)
And if you think about it, even antidote, food and water should have animations too.

i’m really sad cuz a lot of my friends are quitting the game.
As i said, im gonna stay because i’m masoc**st.

2 Likes

Yeah I think combat really needed a change of pace, but FC should probably have spent a little more time figuring out how changes to the different parts worked together.

Imo unequip/equip shouldn’t have to be a thing. It’s a workaround for a combat system that aren’t fluid enough. I’d rather they fix the source problem (and make it more fluid) than make people use a fix.

I just didn’t find anything wrong with toggling unweild, but I would be fine with that, too. Personally, if I had to replace it, I’d like a ‘cancel attack’ option for 3 reasons.

1. Plain and simple, it would let fights be fluid again by granting a degree of control back to you.
  2. It’s a quality of life way of avoiding an unintended attack chain. Like let’s say I only want to do 2 hits, but because I clicked one time too many, I’m going to end up doing three hits.
  3. Having the ability to do a ‘false’ attack introduces feints back into the game, and having the ability to feint is very important in pvp. PvE, not so much. PvE is more about baiting.

The difference between this ‘cancel attack’ and the old unwield would be just that: you never let go of the weapon, you can’t weapon switch, and presumably, there’d be some kind of transition forced on you to go from pre, mid or post attack and into the ‘canceled’ state.

I’d prefer they fx look at recovery times.

It kind of would be just as logic to learn to not do one press too many, instead of having to do one more extra press. I guess I understand your point, but it also just seem weird to add a function just because people can’t control their spam clicks.

I agree feints would be cool. But imo it should be a separate action, so either you select to attack or you select feint. It shouldn’t be a “oh I’m going to miss, so let me just feint instead” or “oh I was going to feint, but I can see I will hit so let me finish the attack”…

2 Likes