Using Dolby Atmos for Headphones or Windows Sonic for Headphones causes fatal error crashes to desktop after a short period

Game mode: Online Official
Type of issue: Crash
Server type: PvE (Official Sever 1502)
Region: North America
Mods?: No

Bug Description:

Enabling either Windows Sonic for Headphones, or Dolby Atmos for Headphones will cause a crash after a short while. Audio will work during that time, and actually sounds pretty good, but will crash after a short time period. I was able to test this on three computers, all to the same effect. Turning these features off stops the crashing.

Expected Behavior:

I expected audio to work (it technically did for a bit before the eventual crash) and crashes not to happen. Ideally I want spatial sound to work, or some kind of positional audio.

Installed Mods:

None.

Steps to Reproduce:

Enable Spatial Sound: Windows Sonic for Headphones or Dolby Atmos for Headphones in the Windows 10 sound settings in the control panel, or on the volume icon in the taskbar via right click. Play the game for a short period, and audio is fine, sounds pretty good, but will soon crash in less than five minutes. Turning these audio features off stops the crashing, but leads to diminished audio quality and experience. Tested this on a second and third computer as well with the same results. The audio bitrate itself doesn’t seem to matter (Bitrate/Khz: 16/44, 16/48, 24/48).

Additional Information: Running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. Soundcard is a Creative Soundblaster AE-5 (driver version 6.0.105.58). CPU is a Intel Core i7 4960X, graphics card is a Nvidia RTX 3090 (driver is 466.63). Connection is wired via ethernet. Internet speed is 1gig. Second computer is the following: Running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. Soundcard is a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty (using PAX Heaven unofficial driver for Windows 10). CPU is a AMD FX 8370, graphics cards are dual Radeon RX570’s (although not in Crossfire/paired at the moment, driver is Adrenaline 21.5.2). Connection is also wired via ethernet. Internet speed is 1gig. Third computer is running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. Soundcard is Realtek Onboard Audio (driver R2.82, 2021 version). Note that I was only able to test Windows Sonic for headphones on this one, but had the same results. CPU is a Intel Core i7 4790. Graphics card is a AMD Radeon R9 380. Connection is wired, internet speed is 1gig.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.