Who else is excited about the next patch? :D

Hey @Ignasi , do you know if the devs is going to make the visible player clan icons optional to be turned off ? I suggested this on the testlive thread notes and it has been something players desire to have.

Purges have been working fine on my server, so as a PvE player I’m most looking forward to everyone’s HUUUUGE bases (including my own) loading quickly. Right now, some of the biggest ones can take upto about 2 minutes for everything to render, the lights to turn on, and thralls/pets and benches to appear. That really breaks the sense of immersion.

After that, I’ll be glad to finally be able to move benches around, and I REALLY hope this will extend to chests, crates, and cupboards as well. As many times as I’ve moved in RealLife™, it hurts my brain that my far more physically fit in-game character can’t do the same! ^_^;

1 Like

I know right!?

Those metal chests look perfectly portable!

Infact it’d be pretty dope if you can assign a bearer to a chest as a station thrall, to relocate the chest.

The higher the tier bearer, the bigger storage you can move :stuck_out_tongue: This is a pipe dream though.

I’d be perfectly happy being able to relocate chests; but with the 1000 stacks change, i might not have to:

Incidentally, you see the missing wall in front of the alchemy station? That’s the one i wanna fix, but can’t.

1 Like

The patch notes seem to be very specific, so i’d hazard a guess and say unlikely ^_^;;

I think spoiled food has been made 25 stacks because it actually feeds thralls and animals in the feeding pot and boxes.

But with 100 stack non-spoilables such as honey, i don’t initially see the point of keeping spoiled food at stacks of 25…

Maybe I’m missing something.

1 Like

This patch has many, many important things Im really glad they have finally addressed. And considering the good stability the latest released patches had… Im very positive for this next one!

I’m excited about the AI improvements.

I wouldn’t mind seeing hides increased to 1000 too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah I dont know… Too much good stuff!
I just quickly glanced over the patch notes and not even all of it. Still need to do so.
But yes, there will be a huge crapton of great changes!

And I fricking love the roleplaying updates!
Notes we can write on? YAY! … Only leaves notes to be written if not the owner… hehe. (Leaving messages.)
I like the polearmchanges, how “wild” thralls will become more dangerous, how monsters are said to become more challenging and even getting a chance to spawn as elite…

But in terms of forum and banning of certain words, the following is clearly my favorite.

1 Like

As a console player, I just want the building mechanic to work right again.
All that new stuff is great and all but it’s been OVER A MONTH now since building has worked on both ps4 and xbox.

Frankly any new updates that don’t fix this are straight up insulting to those of us who aren’t on pc.

Or leather. Maybe even 10000.
Then I might fit it all in 1 chest.

3 Likes

Seriously?

Mind you I can’t say willy. To bad if you name is the abbreviated version of William.

2 Likes

Especially leather xD
There needs to be a legendary crafter who can compress 2 leathers into thick leather with ichor or… resin?

I also just realized… I can make a whole lot more brick and shaped wood in one go. YAY!

And thick leather. Maybe ironstone too?

I wish arrows could take a sit on the train aswell, 1000 stacks would be helpfull.

1 Like

First off yes Im defintely up for this update. Second, a question for yourself and others, and possibly a follow up one depending on the answer.

So does this mean that they are essentially increasing the rendering speed for the game as a whole, or just building pieces/placeables etc?

TL;DR - Only connected building pieces.

It’s good practice in gaming to make 3D assets (decorative buildings) as a single efficient mesh, because they get loaded in as a single item, so the game world is already quite efficient at loading things. These props are called “static meshes”.

It’s when you load many many separate objects and meshes (tiles) which “form” a building, this is what causes the performance issues.

I think they are implementing an algorithm that treats connected tiles as a single item (as opposed to many), and it gets treated as such in memory. Correct me if i’m wrong though, but that’s my educated guess.

Some trivia:

Unreal Engine (which CE uses) uses C++, which is the fastest programming language out there.
If you tell C++ exactly how much and what type of memory it needs to allocate for something it needs to remember, and when/how to forget it, it is extremely fast.

But it’s also the hardest (modern) programming language to use because it’s so… manual.

(yes you old timers out there… I know about assembly and fortran. Go away, kthx)

1 Like

That was a really good, comprehensive answer Halcyon. Going by what you have told me, I would say its a good move. Because its only the 3D assets affected, my follow up question is now redundant. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Halcyon probably has a better idea then I do about it. But while it won’t improve rendering speed for say, the map itself, the game itself will improve a bit as far as server performance because it doesn’t need to spend so much time loading assets in. That’s the theory anyways.

So then in theory will that likely help aleviate the stutter a bit, or no?

The stutter will still be there, just less continuous.

It’s gonna load in big chunks efficiently, instead of many many little chunks, continually.

It’s a VERY very very noticeable difference though.

It’s gonna feel goood :slight_smile:

Like instead of buildings slowly assembling itself into existance and lagging you for every bit of data your graphics card is gonna load, it’s just gonna explode into existance in front of you in larger pieces, because the server says to the graphics card: “Ok. Load this group of stuff.” instead of “Ok, load…this and this and this and this and this and…”.

The reason why the stutter can’t be eliminated completely is because the graphics card has to render things in and out of memory.

It’s hard to tell sometimes if the lag is because of latency or because of the graphics card.

But in this case, i think it’s the amount of bandwidth the server can issue to you.

If you stutter in singleplayer, it means your graphics card could do with an upgrade. Your HD too, if it isn’t an SSD.

If it only stutters for you online, then it’s definitely bandwidth (eg. the way bases are loaded in) .

You have to think of it like this…

This is what happens if you load a tile in:

Computer tells server “Player is at location X” Server tells computer: “There is this and that at location X”

Computer tells RAM: “Please give graphics card this and that.”

RAM gives graphics card info.

Graphics card is full. CPU tells graphics card: “That’s fine, you don’t need this and that anymore, load the new stuff from the RAM.”

Graphics Card complies.

Now the PC has to repeat this once for every single tile that’s loaded it.

2 Likes

If you are loading a REALLLY big city, and you got a browser open with lots of tabs, this is what happens:

CPU to RAM: “Your full up? Well danm… all your stuff is important. OK HD, can you pick up RAM’s extras?”

HD to CPU: “You do realize i’m not built for this right? But OK i"ll do it…”

HD to Graphics Card: sends info directly to graphics card, albeit slowly

Graphics card: “Jesus HD… any slower? I can’t render this stuff any slower for you…”

HD to graphics card: “Look, blame the lame ■■■ RAM that I godda pick up his slack.”

RAM to HD: “Dude, your not the one who has to remember Game of Thrones Season 3, Episode 7, E-mails, The Conan Exiles Forums, and the entire desert of the Exiles Lands all at once. Gemme a break.”

snickers

Should make a cartoon out of that, as an infomercial on why upgrading to an SSD is huge.

1 Like