Wooden Signpost edit bug

Game mode: [Online official]
Type of issue: [Bug]
Server type: [PvE]
Region: [EU]

[Look at the the Owner and Last Edited on screenshot1 then look at the person in screenshot2. You see that this is the same person but the edit is attributed to the steam name of this person

]

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1 Like

hi, does it still let you edit the signpost?
if it does, then it may just be that your steam name (if it stays the same), might still have multiple characters at some point that you name differently, so that it still lets you edit?

Oh i didnt try yo edit it since it was not my signpost.

oh ok, if you see that person again see if you can ask them to try editing it - hopefully it lets them :slight_smile:

IIRC we also used to be known by our steam names in chat (a long time ago). Not 100% on that one though. But yeah this does seem like a bug. I don’t think it’d prevent you editing it though, I know I edited some of my signs last night and it worked fine. I had to add some apologies for some seriously ugly temporary walls I needed to put up to ward off a griefer on my server who otherwise builds into or around people’s bases.

I do not think this is a bug.
The signposts have always been like that (well since full release anyways, I did not play early access).
That is they display the steam ID as editor instead of player name.
The owner is assigned to the Clan if there is a clan or to the player name if they are not in a clan.

In the case of the screenshot you linked, the owner is not in a clan hence owner is player name but editor is steam ID. If that individual deleted that character and made a fresh one, then the sign would no longer belong to them.

Not entirely sure why Funcom decided to code it that way but they did.

Hmm, you might be right. I still feel like it’s a bug, but it’s possible it’s on purpose. A very minor one in any case, though.

Edit: For the record, it’s just the use of the Steam name that I feel is wrong. The difference between “owner” and “last edited” is not a bug of course.

Re: using steam ID … I agree … I’d also prefer it display the character name I chose.
And even though I’m not a role player, I think it’s immersion breaking for RP purposes that it displays the steam ID.

1 Like

it might be that 2 players can have the same character name? (in which case the steam id being used might be a bit more unique, but maybe steam names can still be changed to non–unique names - just not the master steam account name attached to it)

true for immersion, imagine this as a wooden sign:
“Set Antidotes for sale, by Gandalf the Grey” (last edited by xX-supergirl-Xx or something) :slight_smile:

I don’t actually know if character names have to be unique. But it’d be pretty easy to check. Same goes for Steam names, they’re freely editable post-account-creation, so I don’t think they do much to serve as a “real” identifier. As far as the database is concerned, they don’t go by your Steam name anyway, they go by account id (which cannot change).

ah ok thanks for the info that makes sense (and if not shown also makes sense) :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.