Advice for a budget PC

I know the system requirements for AoC-
BUT I have not kept up with hardware nor I am I much of a techie.
So I have some real basic questions for if I upgrade (on a budget, so please don’t suggest I run out and buy the latest NASA PC)

1. Single or dual core?
  2. Graphics card? On board or the other?
  3. DirectX- how important is the version?f

I want 8 gig ram, decent HD and I see some fairly economical rigs, some refurbished around. But I trip on graphics, sound cards and so on.

Any noob and basic advice is greatly appreciated!

Dont buy used stuff. Get new with a warranty.

You can do a i3 CPU, 8 Gb RAM, basic Nvidia card like a 1060, cheap mobo, power supply and case.

Around 600ish USD without a windows 10 license.

I dont recommend prebuilts but they are cheap and at least usually have a decent warranty.

1 Like

Not sure at which budget you are looking at, but I’d also recommend new stuff with warranty.
Do you only want to play AoC or what else do you want to do with the PC?

I’d recommend something like this for a usual gaming rig

Ryzen 3600 (comes with a cooler)
cheap mobo that fits your needs (AM4) 450 or upcoming 550 boards
8-16 GB Ram around 3000 MHz
Maybe an AMD 580/570 graphics
some 600ish Powersupply (550 to 650)
an SSD greater 250 GB (500 or if you have the budget go for 1TB)
Any pc case will do, just get one with at least 2 vents

If you have no special needs on the sound card like mic amplifying or something like that, you don’t need a sound card. If you already have a sound card, it may fit in the new pc as well.

below 1000 €/$ you can have a fine setup for 99% of the games in 1920x1080.

Just give us a few more infos to adjust.

Maybe an AMD APU is enough for you :slight_smile:

Thanks! Good info!

Thanks, I am leaning towards building, and yes for AoC and newer.

My rig now runs AoC fine, though lags bad on wb and larger raids. I have 4 gig ram, plenty of hd space and literally no idea on graphics card. It is an older gateway, E1 vision with AMD.

I will say, the new Ryzen CPU’s (like the 3600 or 3600X) are definitely among the best price/performance you are likely to get for awhile. So building a PC around that as a baseline would be a good idea.

What Frenjoerd said sounds like a pretty good rig that could be adjusted up/down based on budget.

Playing around on https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ can show you how all sorts of different CPU’s and GPUs comparel

For the newest games, Multi-core Performance is more important, but for older games like AoC, Single-Threaded Performance is king.

1 Like

Thanks the info!

So i’d suggest go with something like this. 6 Cores 12 Threads will be enough for years to come, you will change the graphics before you change the CPU. You could also Upgrade to the 8/16 AMD 3700X, so you would have the same core/threads/architecture as the upcoming PS5 and Xbox.

Ryzen 3600X (comes with a cooler)
cheap mobo that fits your needs (AM4) 450 or upcoming 550 boards
8-16 GB Ram around 3000 MHz
Maybe an AMD 580/570 graphics, if you are willing to spend a little more money, the AMD Vega 56 might come as a nice upgrade not to expensive, but as they are selling out, you may have to find a good offer. If not you would slide into the price range of a AMD 5700/5800XT or Nvidia 2060 Super around 400 € ++
some 600ish Powersupply (550 to 650)
an SSD greater 250 GB (500 or if you have the budget go for 1TB)
Any pc case will do, just get one with at least 2 vents

You should land ~1000€/$ if you have questions or need further help you can pm me.

Thanks, all sounds great, I have decisions to make but lots of good advice. Cheers!