Age 2 Prediction: Age of Gods

Most Recent Teasers On Top - Main Thread Below

Third & Fourth Teasers - 5/19 - JordeeKai

There will be nowhere to hide. For when all else is consumed, the serpent will ascend and swallow the sun.
I tried to find a VOD but I can’t at this time, so here’s a link to her channel. If anyone finds it, DM me the VOD link and I’ll put it here.

First Image

Second Image

!!!Holy SHIT!!!

Before I even TOUCH the two images, I NEED to talk about that text. “…the serpent will ascend and swallow the sun.”

This is BIG, this is HUGE

The serpent, Set.

The sun, Mitra.

Two gods diametrically opposed to one another, bitter rivals since the dawn of mankind. Mitra, the champion of the Hyborian people. Divine interferer in the affairs of Conan, and just generally a god-bro to all that is good. Set, the Old Serpent; father of the Serpent-men, and patron of foul sorcerers like Thoth-Amon, and everyone’s favorite robotic biblical figure, Mecha Moses Mek-Kamoses.

Side anecdote; this text seems to be written in opposition to yesterday’s. Whoever was behind yesterday’s message is hiding from the Stygians, with plunder they likely stole from them.

The Settites are going to war. Our first image, a battle planning table. You can make out a map, on the opposite side from us there are absolutely Stygian hieroglyphics, and adorned with some sort of winged seal which can be seen center far right that is very pseudo-egyptian in nature, as is all Stygian aesthetic. Scrolls on the table, perhaps troop orders or strategy missives. A golden statue is placed on the table, of a horse with an unknown rider. The small pieces on the table and the plotting rod (I had to google this, TIL) were commonly used in military planning in history. The top left corner also leads me to believe this is in some sort of tent, likely a military camp planning their next battle.

The second image contains a Stygian, presumably higher ranking given his ornate garb and cape, in addition to that absolutely baller cobra pauldron. In front of him, a row of trebuchets. I haven’t had the opportunity to check where this is in the game, which is probably an important piece of info. If anyone can match up where they are, let me know. It looks to me like Siptah off the top of my head, but there is what appears to be a marker of the cursewall between two of the trebuchets; so I am uncertain.

Today has been the most remarkable teaser so far, but tomorrow leaves me hopeful and anxious

The mention of Set and Mitra, the implication of Stygians going to war, the ascending serpent; this expands my scope of the age. A religion overhaul may be just a small portion of things to come. If these trebuchets are a sign of things to come, there may be conflict on a scale we have not yet seen coming. Something big is on the horizon, and I believe it will be an immense battle of not just men, but also the very gods themselves. Time will tell if any others will be revealed to us.

Second Teaser - 5/18 - Wak4863

Watch Wak’s video recap and his own thoughts on it here
Build strong. Hide it deep. They will not relent.

More treasure, in line with yesterday’s teaser. An ornate and gilded chest full of gold coins, which are comparatively way more shiny than yesterday’s as well - pretty much confirming the coins in the bag are not gold.

Behind the chest, a few objects. In the background a golden statue of a cat with a green gem in it’s head, and a jade warhorn behind that. The cat to me seems Stygian in nature, given it’s design; but cats are also affiliated with Derketo. In the foreground, burry but somehow in front of the chest - the same bag of treasures as yesterday from another angle. In the top right it’s hard to tell, but people think there is more chests up above.

We spent some time trying to find out where the photo was taken, but it is not possible. The building behind it is not a part of either map, but rather a new building set coming confirmed on twitter by Den himself.

Note to Funcom: I also play sea of thieves :wink:

Dev Stream Announcement

Bit to dissect here, to start with before the actual teaser.

To preface, when Age of Sorcery was dropping their first teasers were filling blood in a stone carving, we were able to track down and verify the symbols were late-Acheronian; matching them up with symbols on the lore obelisks in Isle of Siptah. These new symbols I have not been able to match to anything in either map. They are not Acheronian, Giant-King, Lemurian, Turanian, Khitan, or anything else we have seen in this game. I am going to guess, with very low confidence, that it is Stygian; although it does not match the script on notes in the game, which I would assume is a form of Stygian as they fill the ‘default’ for a lot of non-dlc decorations.

First Teaser - 5/17 - KiahOnFire

Watch the VOD of her stream here

Before anyone asks, location is roughly 329112.9375 69253.007813 -19816.654297

Tricky to get it exact as the FOV in the image is on absolute minimum. Everything in the image is as it is in the game except for the two things in the foreground; the bag and the fire.

I’ll start with the fire because that’s the easiest to cover - it’s a normal campfire with a bone sticking out of it. What’s the bone for? There isn’t a bone in the normal campfire, so something to note at least.

Now, on to the bag:

Firstly, it’s a leather sack full of treasures. The coins, while hard to see do appear to be minted the same as the standard coins in the game, they are not Obolus. However, they appear to be made of copper strangely enough, as if you zoom in enough you can see they are a darker color than gold, and feature a greenish weathering on them.

zoomcoin
Zoomed but not enhanced to show the weathering a bit clearer. Silver and gold do not weather like this; but if you’ve seen an old penny you’ll recognize the rust to be consistent with that.

There are three objects of note in the bag:

Firstly, the mask. It looks nearly identical to the Mask of the Witch Queen, with some obvious differences. There is a cracked white and red paint on it, and the exposed metallic bits also appear to be darker and heavily corroded. The gems adorning the mask are red, as opposed to green. Obviously Lemurian in nature, if I had to guess it is a lesser mask made in the fashion of the Witch Queen’s; either an acolyte who served under her, or her mask’s design was integral to Lemurian culture so they kept the make.

Next, the cup. You can see the foot of it clipping through the coins so it appears to be a sort of golden goblet. Untarnished, unlike the coins and mask. I can’t tell what cultural design is on the cup, but I want to guess something along the lines of Lemurian, or even later Turanian. I can’t seem to find anything in game that matches but something seems strangely familiar about it; maybe I missed something.

Lastly, in the back is the hilt of what looks to be either a dagger or short sword; also an untarnished gold with a large blue gem in the hilt. I checked and it does not match any existing weapon in the game at this time, and culturally it to me at least looks Stygian.

So now the questions are raised; what’s this bag of stuff doing here? Treasure plundered by the pirates? What is the significance of Lemurian & Stygian items together? Are we getting new coins?

Stay tuned for tomorrow, when Wak4863 will be dropping the next teaser over on his youtube channel.

Main Thread

This thread is going to be largely placeholder as I put it up tonight, but if it goes well I will flesh it out very similarly to my old 3.0 speculation megathread. For now, it’s midnight and I’m probably going to bed right after I post this, but I wanna put proverbial pen to paper first.

For the longest time Kurak’s motivations were veiled in mystery.
Now, I see he has a master. A tall and dark man whom I cannot read.

Things are changing

With Chapter 3 drawing closer each day to it’s conclusion; it’s time to turn eyes forward to what the future holds. This chapter starts off with an absolute banger of a story revelation; Kurak is a serpent-man, working for Nyarlathotep who is the patron of all sorcery available to us. I don’t wanna say that I called it, but I called it and it validates every crackpot theory I’ve spouted for years and years. This isn’t a snowglobe thread so I’m not gonna pursue that avenue yet, but this still spells huge change for the Exiled Lands.

Nyarlathotep has of course been a major player in the history of both maps; he is the maelstrom on the Isle, and our “advisor” in Exile; instrumental in the creation of our prison, and it’s key. References to him pop up in the game more than any other god Howardian, Lovecraftian, or otherwise. But until now, that was all more or less ancient history. His most recent recorded shenanigans were still over a century ago (correct me if I’m wrong, but off the top of my head that’s how long ago Siptah arrived on the Isle) .

Now, things are changing.

They would perform a ritual to swallow the Exiled Lands whole.

The eclipses are his doing, to what end we do not know. Nyarlathotep has strong ties to the moon, with the Giant-Kings referring to him as the Moonbeam Messenger from which they gather knowledge of the Stars. He is also worshipped by the Mi-Gos of Yuggoth, who would often visit during Chapter 1. He also has ties to the Dreamlands, which many of those creatures are from the Maelstorm on Siptah, and could also appear in events in Chapter 1.

This entire Age, the world has been his playground. Generally it always has been, but he’s been far more active in the last few months than he has been in the last several thousand years. The battlepass text and the Lair of Kurak dungeon drop a pretty massive bombshell that after all this time, Kurak was just another ■■■■ (why is a chess piece censored I’m not gonna change this it’s ridiculous); a minion of a far greater lord.

So what exactly does this mean? Well, besides my unhealthy obsession with Nyarlathotep being validated and concrete proof this game should be classified a Lovecraftian Horror Survival game; it means one plain and simple fact. Gods are present, and gods are powerful. Granted, Nyarlathotep could beat up any other of the worshippable gods and quite possibly might also be half of them in disguise, but this display of power means that the gods of the universe can have a more active presence than they have had so far.

So my prediction has a two-fold basis behind it:

1. For the sake of story continuation post-Kurak, Nyarlathotep will move to more center stage as the true big bad. As one god steps up to plate, priests from other gods may call upon theirs to offer protection and a means of crusading against this encroaching darkness.
  2. For the sake of gameplay, if Nyarlathotep can give us sorcerous powers and do all other sorts of crazy stuff, the worshippable pantheon of other gods should be ramped up to match. Proper rituals, with better rewards. A progression path akin to what sorcery has for unlocking recipes, but tailored more closely to the god it represents; rewarding the most zealous worshippers for progressing down a pilgrimage.

This is my prediction. They could just drop the story arc entirely and do something else as well and there’s a decent chance I’m wrong; but I’ve stood by “wrong” predictions before, and ultimately got proven right. As the self-appointed leading expert on Nyarlathotepology with years of experience in the field under my belt at this point, I am confident.

As of now, there are no teasers; no hints, barely any rumors. Most of what I’ve seen has been people wishlisting what they would like to see, but I’m making this educated guess and throwing down the gauntlet. I would love to see other threads rise up with other predictions, but to keep mine on-topic I’d ask we stay discussing my theory - either to add to it or to challenge parts of it. As always, I welcome discourse but I would also like if this came with cited references, when it comes to debating stories it’s very important to include quotes and excerpts where necessary.

Devkit Findings

Huge shoutout to @Xevyr for finding this.

Within the Devkit, apparently as early as Chapter 1, blueprints have existed called “pacts”. These are not currently used in the game and are in an inconsistent state of being functional; but several of them appear to give the player impressive buffs for using. Restore health on kills, triple jump ability, among other things. These blueprints seem to be activated by some sort of “spell”, as their blueprint names denote. The names for them are:

• BP_Spell_Pact_Ajuju
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Bel
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Erlik
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Gullah
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Gwahlur
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Katar
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Pteor
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Wiccana
  • BP_Spell_Pact_Xotli

Now before people go crazy with rampant speculation about the particular gods listed I just want to say with a disclaimer - Funcom intentionally gives WIP files misleading names. This can be done to prevent dataminers from leaking the next DLC, or for this particular case maybe to obfuscate what’s truly happening with the religion system.

I would bet good money most of these gods are just stand-in names for the existing gods, as there are nine named and the game already has eight gods. That would mean that we could likely be seeing reworks to the existing ones, plus one more (or two if they leave Crom as the ‘none’ option). Bel and Gullah especially have been used in the past to conceal the addition of another religion, with files bearing their names as far back as 2019, and discussion of them being added to the game going all the way back to Early Access in 2017. If I had to guess the one new god, it’d be Bel.

Bonus: Predicting Dates

EDIT: lol I missed the teaser date but I got the dev stream date down exact.

If we follow the trend from last chapter, we might get the first cryptic teaser on the 12th, leading to more teasers as the month goes on, culminating in a dev stream on the 22nd, and the update to release mid-June, between the 13-15th.

20 Likes

Apparently I sorta already predicted this almost a year ago now. From a player’s standpoint, that initial bringing up was pretty well-recieved by a lot of others. That popularity reflects how poorly the religion mechanic aged for a game that used to heavily advertise the use of Avatars back in the early days. Aside from the additon of Zath, religion to my knowledge hasn’t been changed since launch; making it well enough time for thar change.

2 Likes

Off-Topic: Who are you and what have you done to Jimbo’s avatar? Where has Squidward gone?

This would a good thing, but how would multiple religions work in this context?

Would the gods be fine with polytheistic followers or would there be a limit to how much they’d tolerate it?

Gameplay-wise, everyone wants access to everything, narrative-wise it wouldn’t make as much sense. Unless the gods decide to team up (unlikely).

Or this, which would be an entirely different level of mindgames.

1 Like

I love reading your threads. Between reading these and downing my scotch, I’m looking forward to seeing what the next age brings.

A rework on religion would be great. Hopefully this is what’s coming, along with some nice religious items.

…and bug fixes of course.

:+1:t2::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

The tentacles are still there, don’t worry…

Within the scope of the lore, Conan has invoked the names of many gods and still manages to find favor with them. I don’t think Hyborian-age deities are as jealous and monotheistic as one might assume.

If I had to guess on how the mechanic would work gameplay-wise, I’d say each religion is it’s own progression tree that could be completed independently from the others. That would still involve dedicating oneself to the religion a good amount, but still leave it open for completionists and collectors.

Of course. Every update tends to come with enough fixes to address the problems created by the last version, that way it frees them up to make new bugs :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A religion revamp/evolution would has been demanded oftentimes, seems relatively easy to implement and seems likely.

1 Like

And then… as its revealed who said God is… a T-rex comes in and eats him.

And Age of Dinosaurs begins!

1 Like

True, i’d argue that’s in the ‘normal’ world of Hyboria though.

That would work, I do feel there should be some sort of penalty involved though…
I can’t sacrifice a dozen hearts to Set and then merrily hop over to Mitra pretending I’ve been a good girl.

Maybe a temporary buff? “Favour of X” for a period of 60(?) minutes after making an offering to your deity? Prevents interaction with the shrines of other gods but provides a small % increase (based on shrine tier) to spells of your chosen god.
This way you’d have access to all gods but would also be encouraged to commit to one.

…should I be relieved or feel threatened? :octopus:

3 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this personally. On one hand from a gameplay perspective, it would limit players on what they can do by not allowing them to run them all at once; but from a lore standpoint it makes total sense that the actions to gain favor with one diety would lose favor with another.

Yes.

1 Like

While I really, and I do mean REALLY hope you are right Jimbo, I am more inclined to think it will come at a later age. I myself suspect to an Age of Beasts which will rebalance Pets and (hopefully) add other lore friendly Mounts such as Camels and Elephants. But you were right last time, and either way I cannot wait to see.

4 Likes

I have been predicting Age of Religion since Ages were first mentioned.

I do not think pets rebalancing would be its own Age, but be worked into whatever Age. Like the Exiles Journey has almost nothing to do with Sorcery, but still came out during the Age of Sorcery.

1 Like

And elephants for the oriental nations. :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

You mean like

That does not constitute the pet rebalance alone being its own age. In addition it would hopefully also encompass some new pet followers and enemies around the map to. And who knows, JhebbelSag may even have a hand any such hypothetical backstory.

1 Like

Whoops!!! I meant to type Elephants! Brain spasm I guess. I have corrected that now @everybodyvsME. Thanks.

1 Like

Before this spirals further I just want to bring it back around.

I believe what Tephra is trying to say is that a pet rework isn’t large enough to warrant an entire age, but rather a smaller rework that could be slotted into any other age. In the hypothetical Age of Gods, they could slap it easily alongside a Chapter that focuses on Jhebbal Sag among others.

The problem with a rework of a relatively small system like pets is that after a chapter, what else could they even do? It would be too content dry to drag out a rework like that across multiple chapters.

1 Like

A long time ago, I played this certain game that was your typical tropy fantasy RPG that had guilds players could join to gain access to new abilities and such.

One time, someone asked the devs to make a new guild that allowed dual-wielding, and the response they gave stuck with me. They said they could add dual-wielding to a guild, but it was only a single feature and they would never create a new guild with only a single feature in mind.

I always remember that when I see people asking for small things when devs are focusing on large things. Small things can be incorporated into large things, but you don’t make a large thing just to satisfy a small thing.

2 Likes

I’d rather have Horse update… I’m still spoiled by Read Dead Online horse mechanics…

You mean you want them to poop? :horse:

Anyway! I speculate… :thinking: TRIPLE-jump making an appearance!

1 Like

:eyes::eyes::eyes: I smell a large edit to my main post coming

1 Like

Just a quick point of clarification, does not Mitra mandate Henotheism to his followers?
Especially having a loathing for Set?
Given that the religions currently practiced in the Exiled Lands are shams, it doesn’t matter, but if there is an overhaul and they are made to accurately reflect Hyborian standards and beliefs, Mitra seems like a sticking point on this front.

On the greater topic, one God being present does not mean others are necessarily invited.
While this one would love a revamp of the religions systems, especially if the Exiled Lands are cracked open a bit (The Set priest manages to sacrifice the princess just a day’s hike from where Conan is chilling with all the other bizarre events being it’s own canon continuity kerfluffle)… it would need to be major because murder people for a token to offer only works for most of the presented pantheon…

But if it gets a Dagon inclusion, this one will keeping grumbling to a minimum.
If it breaks up the same face issue of the current religions, that would be very nice.