Archers and Fighters-With-Bow to Stay on Top Of a Foundation Block - How?

Sure, NP there. So what the heck am I looking at in those images I posted? Have you ever seen like that before?

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s not intentional so you are treading on thin ice. :joy:

2 Likes

Okay, not meaning it in a challenging or belligerent manner but what is all this about some unknown (to me anyway) entity being all touchy about building something in a way that was unintended? Are there like, Funcom police lurking about ready to snatch people’s licenses away for being clever or something? I don’t get it like, at all! I could understand it if it were something which allowed one to skirt the rules - like producing an undefeatable “god” character or thrall, or even gave one the ability to defeat the server rules in some way. But building techniques??? Doesn’t seem to make any sense at all. I mean Funcom is the company who implemented actual REAL cheats into their dedicated public (unofficial) servers after all - surely they’re not that touchy? Are they?

BTW, the images I posted are on an “Official” server and those users have been there (and been doing that) since the beginning.

1 Like

:joy: That’s one way of putting it. Basically it was against the forum guidelines to post exploits. I see that as anything that is not intentional
 Maybe I’m being overzealous about following the guidelines, but better safe, than sorry.

1 Like

Has anyone confirmed whether putting archers on wedges vs. on normal ceilings affects this issue?

2 Likes

where the exploits on this build? all is normal

1 Like

It’s normal? Awesome! How do you achieve that “floating block” look?

Interesting
 So it’s forum rules - mods and admins (typically on their own) and likely nothing to do with Funcom. Got it. Face to face or outside the forums I’d prolly put up a frowny/scowly face but with the world as it is [everyone thinking and acting like normal things are bad or dangerous and EVERYTHING you do or say online crawled, scanned, and recorded for some future cross referencing if ever desired by those with the authority/access to do so], I get the benefits of at least appearing as part of the flock. Anyway, I’m not interested in exploit building as when they patch it all that time invested will be wasted. I was curious about the “why” of it though. :smiley:

Anywho, @Ragnaguard says it’s normal so I may be learning a new building technique if he knows - that could be useful/fun!

1 Like

Well it’s Funcom’s rules, that are enforced by their moderation team.
You may notice someone has flagged your original post, which means I was probably right to avoid the subject.
The mods will look at the post, and make the final decision at their discretion.

Some members are slightly less concerned about losing their accounts. So I would be careful when engaging with them.

Like I said if it seems unintentional it’s better not to discuss it unless you are doing so in the form of a bug report.

The reason I say that is because we don’t know the effect buildings like that have on server performance.

2 Likes

Mmm, I’ve been both admin and mod on forums for software and hardware products both large and small companies, and typically we need to guess at over half the “rules” pertaining to the use and trade thereof - which is why I made that comment. Of course most of it is common sense but you might be surprised at how disconnected many “official” forums are from the suits, devs, and content creators they represent.

This is one reason the larger social media sites are having trouble. The infrastructure and construct of top-down forum moderation is a crap-shoot at best. The software is infantile in that regard and lacks good structure for such ends. So it’s left up to personal considerations and people come with all sorts of personalities.

Who would flag a post asking for advice on the best way to set up thralls? Doesn’t seem to make any sense! I don’t see any flags though - just to be clear.

EDIT: Oh I see it now
 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You might be surprised how connected this one is. :joy:

Well your post (#11) contained content that could potentially be seen as against guidelines.

But anyone can flag anything, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Clearly you weren’t being malicious.

3 Likes

That’s always a possibility - and hope. :wink:

Yup, no malintent here
 Just a n00b trying to learn. Like I said, I have no interest in building “funky stuff” as when they patch it, it’ll likely all fall down.

2 Likes

BTW, learning what is and isn’t prescribed building techniques doesn’t seem very straight forward from my newbie point of view. For example that stair-rail video you linked seems even to be in question all things considered. Of course I don’t know what I don’t know so if the illegal construction techniques are using some other apparatus or console commands (far removed from snapping, positioning, and dismantling) then that may be the source of my confusion. I would normally assume ANYTHING you can do by snapping, positioning, placing, and dismantling would be “allowed”.

1 Like

There is always a lot to learn.

In terms of building “exploits”, if you are playing PvE, the term exploit is used very lightly. There is no real advantage to building in a certain way, except for the aesthetics.
The only problem is if that particular building method causes server side issues.

In PvP it is slightly different, building whilst utilizing certain exploits actually becomes advantageous. Which tends to be when people take issue with it.

It’s not necessarily how you do something, but why you do it
 If that makes any sense. :joy:

3 Likes

@TeleTesselator, building in an exploitative way is really only going to get you banned (AFIAK) if you are playing on a PvP server and the exploit gives you an unfair advantage. In PvE or PvE(C) the main concern would be server performance hits. If approaching your build causes a player to lose a bunch of FPS, then someone may complain about it and the result could be a suspension or even ban. These are extreme cases though and you don’t need to worry about accidentally building in an exploitative way. What @LordKAA is trying to avoid, is ‘teaching’ someone an exploit, which can get you banned from the forum.

Back on topic though

@CodeMage I had long been wondering if the archers with happy feet may be related to the square versus wedge foundation pieces. It seemed to happen a lot more frequently in certain parts of my build. I built a little test area tonight, after you asked. I used crenulated fences on both wedge and square foundation pieces (both stacked 2 high). After kiting mobs to them, the archers on wedges jumped off their perch more than 80% of the time, while the archers on square foundations stayed on 100%. To be clear, this was a very limited sample size, but I am fairly confident in what my results showed, and thought I would share.

• Edit: It didn’t make sense to me that the archer I set on a wedge kept backing up (off the foundation) and the other didn’t. So I re-set all his behaviors and tactics and now NEITHER archer has happy feet. My previous test results were all skewed, sorry for the misinformation. Wedge versus square foundation seems to be irrelevant, as long as you set their TACTICS to ‘stand and guard’ and their BEHAVIOR to ‘attack all enemies.’ The problematic archers I was encountering in certain areas of my build were also due to me neglecting to set them correctly (SMH). :man_facepalming:
5 Likes

it the hyborean dlc small gate frame that allows to build like that as it seems its a normal doorframe reskin
 so what appears to be empty space is just not rendered for the dlc looks

this means it tranfers stability to the floor above like a normal doorframe

u can try to build stuff like that but i would be carefull if i was u
 it is a know issue and its surely gonna get patched at some point with unknown effects (so do not place a structure that holds valuables in any of these builds as they may collapse upon patching it

3 Likes

I was going to ask that earlier, and I deleted my post thinking, no surely
 :joy:

5 Likes

I played for 4 or 5 months with a few of my developer buddies on a dedicated server running on one of their Linux servers. It was updated within minutes of each new release and everything was set to the distributed install defaults. That ended about 7 or 8 days ago so now I’m on an “official” server in Asia (I live in Japan).

On that dedicated server nothing worked - I tried every setting - multiple times and whenever there was a ruckus they came down (50-60% of the time) - usually falling off I suspect. The best results I ever got were by turning the archer-walls inward toward the archer on all sides. The lowered fence idea seems like it might work as well. Anyway that’s what prompted this thread - my previous failures.

I notice for some reason Thralls in general are much better behaved on the official server than they were on the dedicated Linux server. They get stuck (on rocks or in bushes while following you) A LOT less often and now ALWAYS eventually catchup - although sometimes it takes a full minute to 90 seconds. So @JJDancer might be right and on official servers it’s just about the proper settings. (???)

I had a Purge a few hours after I started this thread and couldn’t test because my base was built rather moronically and all my bears jammed up all the passages to the point I had to dismantle the archer pillars just to get through to the enemies. It didn’t help that the purge was those giant 12-foot hairy rock-throwing sasquatch looking dudes either. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are no enemies in nominal range of my current base so it’s hard to test. The best I can do is punch a doe and see how they react. So far they only alert to that 25% of the time but they don’t fall off - so here’s hoping!

2 Likes

Oh, it’s a DLC thing
 K
 That’s what I had initially assumed but then the whole idea (new to me!) of exploits was brought up so
 :stuck_out_tongue:

So, winding it up

Thank you all so much! It’s been interesting, educational, and helpful!

Domo, arigato gozaimashita!
[Please, thank you very much!]

PS: I’ve decided to use platformed walls so this may eliminate any problems

1 Like