Awful game lag, destroys the experience

The amount of lag is just ridiculous on Siptah. My body lies at a small Corsair camp and i’m unable to get my stuff back. The game freezes for a couple of seconds when i reach my corpse so i can’t get the inventory open before i die instantly. This is just great.

You should provide more details:

pc (steam or gamepass)/ps4/xbox
online official (which official) / private server / single-player
location and the reason for the death (did the npcs kill you or something else)

The issue you are having sounds server related, it is not something I experience on any of the servers I am playing (all pc private) at least not to such extend. I am running the game from steam.

People tend to blame everything but their platform for lag, freezing and stuttering, but the reality is that their platform acts as the host, and is usually the reason. The other major reason is the netcode limitations and internet connectivity.
When a PC or console “pings” the server, then it sends an ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) echo request to the game server, which then answers this request by returning an ICMP echo reply.
The time between sending the request and receiving the answer is your ping to the game server.

If you are on PC, hit the tilde key (~) and type in TO and move up four spaces and hit enter, or just type in ToggleDebugHUD and hit enter. This will open a small interface that will show you your ping status.

Another thing you can try to alleviate lag is to turn down your graphic settings in the server>settings menu.

A month after I purchased CE in early access I realized it would never run smoothly on my old PC, and upgraded.
I had the same issues, and died so many times just trying to get to noob river I almost quit the game.

Unfortunately for consoles this is still limited, so your better option is to turn down your graphics qualities, and tweak your router settings.

Try changing your default 2.4 GHz band to 5.0. Also change your default channel to 11. You can easily google how to do this for whatever name brand router you are using.

I have a pretty powerful PC with the best graphics card on the market, an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT video card with 8 GB of onboard Ram, and another 16 GB of DDR6 onboard, but when I play Siptah, my fans fire up and the heat blows out of the back of the PC pretty fast.
I am not sure how people even play Siptah on a PS4 with a single-chip processor and 8 GB of RAM.

2 Likes

This new map is an actual joke…I’ve spent hours on end creating my base dealing with the constant lagging, pinging and banding everywhere just for a purge to destroy my entire base and I couldn’t do anything about it because I was lagging that badly…seriously fix your game instead of just bringing out stupid new ideas and creating more bugs…your copying fortnites style of updates here

I play regularly on Isle of Siptah official server without any issues. I visited the new lands (my clan mate building a base down there and its fine there as well. So either its server related (although you would have to ask others on the server that question) or something on your end. Saying the map lags for you, equals the game is broken is extreme at best.

I even play on Siptah with 45 mods without issue.

So as Rigultru, what is your computer specs (memory is most important) If you lack enough RAM, you end up using virtual memory of your hard drives will slow down the game. Also do you have other processes open at the same time (web browsers eats a ton of RAM) Lastly, anyone using your bandwidth while you play? My family always stream videos when I am playing.

I am about to check with my 11+ year old PC with only 6 gigs if I can play with almost no issue. Pre-dates the Intel I-series of CPUs.

Edit: Reinstalled the game on the old PC but its able to log into the menu but not able to log into the game anymore due to lack of memory, so couldn’t test my theory unfortunately. I may have to play around with it but being a slow log in, may not be worth the effort. It was odd since I was able to log in last year on my modded server as a test between my old computer and my friend’s 11+ year old laptop where he was taking 1 hour and half to log in to the server where I took 15-20 minutes. Granted this computer is literally on its last legs. My friend bought more memory and SSD and now he logs in 15 minutes to the 45 mods servers.

1 Like

Also people have reported that playing in windowed mode works better.

OP basically gives us nothing to work with, they didn’t even mention their platform. All I know is that I am not experiencing the issues they are describing but with this much info all I can do is guessing. I read gamepass pc users have some issues, I read PS4 people have some issues but that is about it.

1 Like

The majority of people are complaining about issue its ok to acknowledge them

Which issue are we talking about now and on what platform? I sure as hell don’t see the majority of players on PC complain about “awful game lag”. I don’t follow PS4 and XBox forums as closely, but I didn’t get the impression that the “majority” on those forums is complaining about lag, either.

How? What kind of “acknowledgment” would work in this case? If players complain about performance problems but don’t provide any useful info, what is there to acknowledge?

“Hey there, we just wanted to acknowledge that you seem to be having problems. Now we’re aware of that, so thanks.” Would that be well received? Would it be useful?

I mean, I get that people are frustrated when something doesn’t work for them, but there’s really no excuse for not putting some minimal effort in reporting your issues.

There are less Siptah servers right now than Exiled Servers. They are in high demand and there has been a rash of people overbuilding to insane degrees.

I’m on a server where I have watched a clan with a fantastic castle built up on a mountain top has decided to build a massive and likely pointless super wall beneath. It consists of Sandstone Foundation blocks ringed with Sandstone Fences at every level. If it was 2 or 3 high, it probably would have accomplished more than enough to keep them safe… but when I first found them, last week them they were already up to the 5th Layer. Today They made it up to the 7th Layer (Which is in progress.) There wasn’t any lag last week. Now there is a high amount of game stuttering.

Could it be my PC, protesting against this? Maybe. I know the game was working much better before this weekend rolled in.

Again, this is one of the most graphically intense games out. If you are trying to play it on an older PS4, you WILL have issues.

Since the OP declined to elaborate on their platform and specs, it makes it hard to help them.

2021-06-13 20_06_08-Window

1 Like

Correct. The texture rendering issue due to bottlenecking is the most complained about issue on ps4 at least and ignasis posted that they are working on it. I’ve rarely suffered lag in all my time playing and on the odd occasion that it does happen it’s usually REALLY bad and followed closely by server crashes so an obvious temporary issue that’s usually resolved fairly quickly. If ppl are suffering lag it’s more than likely their own system or connection to blame, not code and not server related.

1 Like

If it was server it would be server wide not individuals on the same server experiencing different things. I have played on the same server as others who suffer lag but I didn’t. In these sort of instances it doesn’t make sense to blame the server, if all on the server are having the same lag than I would def blame the server. It all depends on the circumstances.

1 Like

Here’s how: have ~ToggleDebugHUD always on. Then you’ll have a much better idea if it’s server of client. With the debug HUD on, you can see the server FPS in the upper right corner of the screen. If you start lagging, but the server FPS is at or very near 30 (for official servers), then it’s your machine.

You can go even further and add it to your keybindings, so you don’t have to type it:

With the above binding, I can just press F3 to toggle the debug HUD.

2 Likes

Hit F8 all you want, there is no making you normal, LOL.

2021-06-14 13_45_22-Window

3 Likes

There’s also bottleneck lag, which can commonly be associated with the rise in ping, also displayed on the DebugHUD. Secondarily, there is desync, which can be accompanied by high ping or normal ping. When you crank on a node, say with a pick, and the resource does not crumble properly, takes a while to proc, or does not proc at all. This kind of desync can be confused with lag, and usually signifies a bad or broken/corrupted route to the server host.

@Koschgine if you are so inclined, please open a command prompt and run a tracert to the server’s IP address. It will display, hop by hop, the route your machine must take when it connects to your server of choice. Try it several times a day, especially when you normally play. If it times out, or makes huge gaps between jumps, you have a problem with your route to the server. This is hard to fix, and in fact I have abandoned a server recently because it was unplayable to me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.