BUG: Swimming while towing unconscious thrall kills spawnpoint

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: US (server 1502)

I thought this was a test server bug until I found out, by accident, how to recreate it on a live server – I captured a thrall, stumbled into water deep enough to swim, and for the rest of the evening, that thrall’s spawnpoint stayed empty.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. In a location near water that is deep enough to swim, knock out a thrall and begin towing it.

2. Blunder into water deep enough to swim. As soon as you do, it unequips the towing cord (or chain) and the thrall gets stuck. Notice that even though the thrall is (temporarily) visible on the bank, the cord will not attach, the unconscious thrall cannot be interacted with.

3. Run far enough away to force your client to update, or relog in place. Notice that your client was wrong, the thrall actually disappeared as soon as you dropped it in the water.

4. Return to the original spawnpoint, 15 minutes or more later. No thrall!

Test was originally performed on server 1502 in Sepermeru, in the Southlake area. I was towing the named tanner across the longish bridge from the center island of Southlake south towards Razma’s house when I slipped and fell into the water.

2 Likes

I’ve had it happen up near the den also. Drag a thrall out. Sometimes if you let them sit by a wheel they will sink into the ground if your waiting on a wheel slot. Spawn point is toast till the server reboots. Oh Pagoda too. They’ve found sinkholes up there also.

1 Like

The thrall is considered to be alive - therefore it does not respawn. And if you lost it under water - it is still alive :grinning:

1 Like

If the thrall is still “alive” then as soon as it wakes up from being knocked out, it should walk back to its spawn point. Or teleport back, if no path can be found.

And this is already a question for the creators of AI - why NPCs do not know how to get out of the water, except for crocodiles :thinking:.

One quick fix… Reset the server. I am not saying a full wipe. Simply ask the admin to restart the server. This should reset all spawns, correcting the issue.

I had this problem occurs often in Buccaneer’s Bay. If I was not careful, i would fall off whike dragging a thrall and they would disappear. The reset fixed it.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if its an effect of the under water mouse bug,

You prolly can’t equip/arm your rope underwater, if you can tho, try it while underwater.

(wich logically would result in you losing the thrall instantly again.)

Side note - we could always always swim with bound thralls… Until the final release and now everyone has to build silly bridges. Just sayin. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the report :slight_smile: I’ll have this written up for the dev team

This seems to be related to a bigger bug.
I made some tests and when you knock out an NPC and then just stand there and wait, he or she gets up after an amount of seconds defined in the ServerSettings.ini under the obvious name UnconsciousTimeSeconds. I changed the values and it does exactly what you’d expect it to.
Now if I knock the thrall down, catch him or her with my fiber bands and then release them again they stay knocked out until the server restarts.
It stands to reason that a thrall under water just remains there unconscious until someone either catches them again (which might be impossible depending on the actual location) or the server restarts. Maybe it’s possible to kill them underwater with javelins as a third alternative.

5 Likes

Thanks for the additional details

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.