Ceronesthes- Everything Wrong with Conan Exiles (And How to Fix It) - PVP Review and Suggestions

, ,

Yeah, that would be terrible! No thanks! It’s pretty much fine just how it is now in my experience! It might be a different story if it controlled like a pike or something but it’s totally different and fairly well balanced as it stands!

Playing as a solo on one server I totally agree. I think the same thing! But this also looses all it’s weight if you’re in a clan of 3 or more active players - as I am on another server. I’m shocked at how fast things accumulate when in an active group. Maybe it’s just me who is so slow but I go out for 50k rock and after unloading and resting a bit everything is recovered from the last raid I thought should take a week or more to recover from. We lose almost everything in some of these and in about two of my 6 ~ 8 hr. sessions it’s all back. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ayesh.

That was not a short video. This one had to break it up into numerous chunks to watch in it’s entirety.

In basic principle, it is fairly accurate, as this one sees the situation. In the specifics, there is disagreement, but none of it seems off base or delusional. In all honesty, it reads like a common gripes list from the forum.

Perhaps this one’s favourite part was the frustration that several issues are right there to be corrected in the admin panel. The tools are already in place, just unutilized for official servers.

The Monkey’s Paw reference hit right on the nose as well. This one holds back many comments and suggestions out of an abundance of concern that the implementation will be in a manner as bad, if not worse, than the problem.

Take building exclusion zones for example. Until there is a toggle in the server settings or admin panel to ease up on them (so that the solo player or owner of a non-pc server can remove them), this one will despise and rage against any further encroachment.

4 Likes

You’re right, being a solo probably colours my viewpoint here.

1 Like

He says faster to farm bombs than to build a base. Not faster than farming repair mats.

Technically he’s right, but yeah he skips the same point that a lot of other people who talk attack vs defend cost also skip. Repair mat farm is just as easy as bomb mat farm.

1 Like

Now I’m not a hardcore pvp’er in the players punching each other sense. I just don’t find the fights that enjoyable and like base building, scouting, raiding and all that stuff way more. The tactical side I guess…

And I do think CE has way too many parts to gear setup, but I don’t really agree that it’s all important and you already lost if you miss one part. I’ve done fine in half decent gear many times and I’ve seen many other people do. Heck a couple of months ago a big point on the forum was gear wasn’t even needed and nakeds with stone daggers was killing fully kitted people all the time.

Especially if you have Siptah gear, you can make a pretty great fighter spec with no buffs at all.

And his playstyle also contradicts it. Meta gear never seems like his focus. He uses normal armor and a 2h sword in almost all of his videos. A bit weird to do if you think you have absolutely no chance that way.

End game gear is also very easy to get to. I rarely craft anything before I can make it (usually only stone and steel tools/weapons). You can easily level with some stone weapons and whatever armor/weapons you find. If you also put a bit of time in to getting thralls while levelling you can have end game gear in 2 days.

Imo they should skip some of the gear tiers. It’s a waste of time to farm to upgrade every time you get to a new step. Tbh I think it slows down a lot of noobs, because they don’t know how much easier everything gets with good tools. Then they get raided while they spent ages with iron tools and quit because it all just seems like way too much work.

stone → steel → end game would be fine imo.

Another important point here is only iron has a recipe with no secret ingredients and from what I remember the game doesn’t explain that there’s recipes like steel where you just combine mats in a crafting station without using some recipe in the menu.
I had no idea until I started lurking the wiki and such. To me it just seemed logic that single mat stuff like cooking meat didn’t have a menu recipe and everything that combined stuff you did through the crafting menus. (tbh at first I didn’t even understand how to cook meat, because it introduce you to recipes right away with the crafting menu in the inventory, so I just though recipes was the way crafting work)

And by far the most gamers don’t check forums and such, so how are they even going to figure out how to progress from iron?

I do like that some stuff is secret and mysterious, but it shouldn’t be in levelling progress, only in end game.

I kinda like the more powerful Siptah gear. The problem for me is, every tier of gear should have a full range of gear on that level.

I personally don’t prefer Aspect of the Demon and think Bat is way better (and see plenty of people who also use it), but it’s stupid to have 2 helmets, one set of bracers and one set of boots that are so much better than the rest. It’s boring and it hinders experimentation with alternative specs, because the extra stat point you get just mean you nerf yourself if you try to use other pieces in those 3 slots (only exception is bearer pack for enc build).

I also kind of wonder why isn’t there tiers of offensive raid items? I guess orbs was kinda meant to be a low tier raid item, but as long as it’s locked behind an alchemist, people will be on bombs when they can make orbs anyway.

With just one raid item tier they have to balance it around t3 buildings, making everything else something you just try to skip.

I think he has a very good point about the opinions of noobs vs the opinions of the “I got 3000 hours” people. Especially because a lot of it revolves around how do we keep a healthy playerbase. How do we attract more people to the game.

In that regard, we should probably listen more to people who quit the game after 10 hours than people who’ve already been addicted for years and no-life on 10 servers.

3 Likes

What he’s saying is that the game not really starting till you’re level 60 and have endgame gear is fine in PVE but sucks for PVP. It would be cool if skill gave you a chance against a fully kitted person when you just have normal armour and a normal two handed sword. you could jump straight in and start fighting. But that’s not possible in CE at the moment. Even you just admitted you don’t need it all, but you need at least some endgame/Siptah gear to compete. Stone daggers are a weird exception.

There’s a thread here about this if you’re interested: Competitive pvp in Conan can it exist

1 Like

This is exactly what i took away from the video, among other things.

While I agree on this statement, that’s not what he’s saying.

He says if you miss just one (1!) item on a 50 item kit checklist then it’s gg

And I don’t agree with that at all…

Also a lot of people actually enjoy the levelling, building/gearing up, settling in etc more than the endgame. and low level random pvp can be pretty fun.

So while I’ll personally be happy if I never have to level a character again, the statement that pvp game only start when you have endgame gear isn’t a universal truth.

1 Like

It was not low level, but low tier (Iron tier) PvP:

1 Like

Yeah, but I took that to be hyperbole. Not like he thought it was literally true. Not something we can know I guess.

Totally, I think it’s the most fun! Super rare though. Most people I see won’t leave home without a full kit.

That’s one of the things I was trying to say above… He presents a problem that could actually be thought of as a problem - and then gives wrong or ridiculous reasons why that problem might actually be one. And then in conclusion he presents “solutions” or suggestions that don’t make much sense.

So like, he sees the trouble but is somewhat clueless about the causes, and therefor the solution ideas are… umm… well… unfitting shall we say.

This. This is what I mean when I say I’ve had one good fight.

And please don’t tell me to go to PvE-C, because my beef was over my trespass of this other player’s land holding.

Maybe you don’t think it’s a problem, but I did agree with the core of it (too much clutter in gear/pvp setup). His reason is also on point (it takes too much grind). His solution is also simple (remove parts of it).

So even if you don’t agree that it’s a problem, it’s really not as complicated or nonsense as you try to make it out.

The problem, reason and solution are all simple.

The only part where I didn’t agree is the importance of the problem.

And tbh I don’t really listen much when people are like “you’re wrong” with no reasons. It’s easy to say he’s “somewhat clueless about the causes” without explaining why why or how he’s clueless… But it doesn’t really add anything to the discussion.

Let’s dive.

• He thinks pvp setup has too much clutter.

It’s an opinion, so there’s no right or wrong. It’s not a complicated problem. It is what it is.

• He thinks it’s too much of a grind and he thinks the game would benefit if it was faster to get in to end-game pvp.

Again opinion, so we can’t say right or wrong. But why is it ridiculous? Agree or not, his reasons are pretty simple.

• He think FC should remove clutter / make some recipes simpler.

What doesn’t make sense? It’s the simplest solution to a simple problem. What’s not understandable?

Again it’s not about agreeing with Cero or not.

That’s cool, we don’t have to agree. I obviously saw a bunch of nonsensical claims you missed in that video. The problem itself (if it’s even a problem in the 1st place) is nowhere even close to being simple - and just from that we can deduce that both the reasons why and the solutions are multiplexed in their complexity and extremely unwieldy to implement.

If you don’t agree that’s fine - obviously - but there are about ten thousand detailed and thoughtful posts here on these forums over the last year or two which stand as proof against the notion of simplicity in all those areas - agreeing it’s problem, identifying the problem, understanding why such problems exist, proposing a solution that is at least sane not to mention non-destructive, and understanding what effects said “solution” will actually have on the game and among players like myself who like it as it is for the most part.

Personally I want them to fix the hundreds of near show-stopping bugs that exist FIRST!!! - before anyone starts talking about changes to the game’s design - which way way WAY more than likely will never be implemented if in fact it ever even gets looked at or considered.

• Your dream-states may vary…

I’m not discussing the whole video. I’m discussing one point from the video you quoted me on.

And nonsensical is just opinion. I saw the video twice. I probably didn’t miss the points, I just didn’t think it was nonsense :slight_smile:

I doubt I misses ten thousand posts over the last couple of years lol. It’s not something that is often brought up on the forum.

And even if we pretend there’s ten thousand posts, then it’s still not “proof”. It’s just their opinion.

Similar games have way simpler setup and are way more popular. Proof that those ten thousand posts are wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

So it’s more about you not liking his changes, than his points not making sense.

I don’t think he disagree. I don’t either.

But it was an “Everything Wrong”… So I guess the concept is everything, not just bugs (which we all agree are a problem anyway).

1 Like

Let’s dive.

OK

* He thinks pvp setup has too much clutter.

Define “clutter”.

It’s an opinion, so there’s no right or wrong. It’s not a complicated problem. It is what it is.

Please be specific and make sense.

* He thinks it’s too much of a grind and he thinks the game would benefit if it was faster to get in to end-game pvp.

Again opinion, so we can’t say right or wrong. But why is it ridiculous? Agree or not, his reasons are pretty simple.

That’s not what was ridiculous. What was ridiculous were the 50 to 100 lame-brained untrue claims like “it’s impossible to dismount an attacker” bla bla bla… “and since there is no way then the lance much be nerfed” bla bla bla… (paraphrasing) - and 50 more just like it - all preposterous and mostly untrue.

* He think FC should remove clutter / make some recipes simpler.

What doesn’t make sense? It’s the simplest solution to a simple problem. What’s not understandable?

It’s not well thought out. You can massively affect the entire balance and advantageousness of various playstyles and even the game itself by changing just one recipe.

Again it’s not about agreeing with Cero or not.

Sure, fine. No one claimed that was a problem or not. I certainly didn’t anyway.

I was! And I am.

WHAT? Almost every other thread on these forums gets into “what the problem with CE is” regarding some aspect or the game entirely. And when it’s not that, then it’s what’s wrong with Funcom as a company…

Right but my claim is that he’s full of beans… He hit a few points that made some sense under some certain colors of light and the rest was mostly garbage and misinformation.

He defined clutter. I just simplified the wording because I assumed we both have watched the video and knew the point he was talking about.

I dived in to that specific problem. The one you chose to quote me on. So making it about the rest of the video isn’t really relevant to what I was talking about, so I’m not going to get deeper in to your answers.

Ah okay I’ll bite on this one since it’s on subject.

He talks about stuff like not having to purify water ffs…“massively affect the entire balance”? Come on… Maybe taking it a bit too serious are we?

Just because one might not doesn’t mean others wouldn’t.

You’re gonna go round in circles here.

The most important thing I can say to Ceronesthes and anyone else is to just go out there and PvE. Health Bars make it exceedingly easy to get out and annihilate a village. Even though the loot tables are a bit lower, you still get a stove worth of purified water (which you should be carrying in PvP instead of skins) in two runs in the outskirts of Asagarth. I think what Tess is saying is “play the game, some of the answers are there.”

2 Likes

I don’t remember the part where Cero said “you need stuff you can’t even get” :man_facepalming:

He knows how to get the stuff. He made by far the best farming guide.

It’s not like he doesn’t know how to get purified water, it’s that he thinks it’s too much.