Crash/freeze every 10-15mins

Game works fine on my home PC, but trying to play it on my laptop and the game consistently crashes pretty much at the same time, every time. I play for about 10-15 minutes, and then the game freezes and kicks me to desktop with no error. It feels about the same length of time every crash, too, so it’s not like I crash sometimes at 5 minutes or 30 minutes, it’s always somewhere around 10-15. I’ve updated drivers, verified files (nothing wrong), lowered settings to laptop minimum, and even some other random things. Any other suggestions?

I’m playing unmodded on an official PVP server, btw.

Does the laptop have dedicated graphics? Many don’t and share their RAM with the rest of the machine. So if you’re using 8GB or less, it gets used up real quick.

The other cause could be heat. Many Laptops have airflow issues that do not cool off their components effectively.

Both of these issues could explain why you can set your watch by when the game crashes.

It has an RTX 2060, and while it does get hot, I’ve ran far better looking games on it with no problems. The low-end laptop setting barely stresses it, but still crashes, so I don’t think it’s a heat problem.

Where are the logs for the game? There should be something that’s telling me why the game is just freezing and closing.

You know, I had issues with a laptop once that would do similar things and it did turn out to be the heat. I bought one of those cheap cooler fan things that go under the laptop and it solved the entire problem. Laptops can be funny like that when it goes to dumping heat and it could be that its not the video per se that’s giving up the ghost; it could be the processor because the video card is generating too much heat and that heat is creeping up on the cpu. The specs of my laptop were nothing to sneeze at (far exceeding CE requirements) but the heat was a problem. That laptop would burn my thighs while playing conan if I set it in my lap… ouchies.

I’ve put the game on low end laptop settings where it’s not even getting hot enough to start up the fans, and it still crashes. I’ve played other games for quite a long time, too, and never had the issue before.

Does it crash if you are in singleplayer?

Not apples to apples, but back in my ps4 pro days, I had a tower that would crash out my friends on their normal ps4. Perhaps there is just too much built near you on the server and its crashing you. I’d try a clean singleplayer game with no building and see if all is fine, just to rule out overbuilding on the server.

do you play on the same server when you use your PC ? you should try a different one to see if you have the same problem…what’s your ping on that server ?
And I wouldn’t rule out the heat just because you had no problem with other games as demanding and maybe it should start the fans…

Putting it on low settings can actually exacerbate the issue. Now my experience on this may not apply to Conan Exiles, someone with a little bit more Unreal Engine knowledge might be able to confirm of debunk this for CE. But in many games, low settings means to use less of the GPU and more of the CPU. If the CPU is quicker than the GPU you can get decent performance boosts (or none or worse if the opposite).

What this means is if the CPU is heating up, this setting will make the issue potentially worse.

If overheating is an issue then no setting change can be done. CE will simply be unplayable on that machine until the issue is resolved.

You should consider downloading some sort of monitoring software, run it and then run Conan Exiles until the issue happens, then see what the temps are. If the CPU/GPU temps hit around 100C, then you know heat is the issue.

But like I said earlier, heat is very much likely the culprit if crashes are happening in an otherwise smooth game at set intervals.

2 Likes

It was hovering at 100c, but crashed at around 80c, though 100c was consistent, so I don’t think that really matters. I changed some settings for the cpu fan and had the game running at low-end laptop and 80c consistently, though I crashed during that as well, and much sooner than normal actually. I was in a fight and got kicked to desktop, so it might have been random thing. At any rate, I don’t think I’ll be playing this on this laptop. It’s a moot point anyway, since I’ll be home in 2 days.

This is hot. What cpu are you using and are you overclocking?

i7 9750, alienware laptop

That should be down in the 60s. The game is likely crashing from overheat. A fan would help but you probably need new thermal paste.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.