There is no point to customize your character at the start other than for looks.
What about this (I don’t know if it was suggested or mentioned before):
- if you are from a race that lives in hot areas, such as darfari, you can tolerate hot temperatures better (higher temp. values required to be in hot/very hot/etc. states, and need less water while in that particular state. BUT you can get extremely cold and frostbitten easier.
- northern races are the opposite, and less food drain instead of water.
- the more muscular you are, the more damage you deal, but at the cost of more stamina per hit.
- leaner: weaker hits, less stamina cost.
- the higher you are, the further you can jump forward, and faster you can swim.
- being short benefits from longer runs and faster climbing.
The differences would be between ±5% (I mean 10% difference between let’s say max. height vs. minimum height) or something fairly low.