Dear Funcom (A Server Owner Letter)

Honestly. I don’t play this game and haven’t since 2.4 test live came out. The fact map rooms and elevators ect still haven’t been hotfixed speaks volumes.

any competent company it would’ve been a day1 hotfix

2 Likes

Actually, I understood @CodeMage’s comments a little different than you. He said:

Meaning, no, he wouldn’t voice his concerns the same way. writing a “review” of a restaurant doesn’t happen in public forum. While you are being very polite and constructive despite having different opinions, the OP came across as rude and belligerent. Chastising Funcom for a mistake they already acknowledged followed by threats to never do business with them again unless (insert ultimatum here).

3 Likes

You can call it bullying if you choose to, but that doesn’t make it true.

Aggressively berating people for a mistake they acknowledged, apologized for, and are working to fix, claiming that they don’t care for their own game or their players, saying that the game is “held together” by mods of his own preference – none of that is constructive feedback deserving of respectful disagreement. It’s an entitled rant, not an act of a vulnerable victim who then proceeded to get bullied.

The cherry on top was using other people’s names as an excuse for his attacks and presenting the modder community as some kind of a victim of Funcom’s abuse, where in fact a great deal of them are actually happy about how Funcom has been changing their code to accommodate the mods.

In short, criticizing his attitude is bullying only if you went to Humpty Dumpty’s School of Semantics:

I have a feeling we’re not going to agree on this.

Yes, he’s venting. I get that. I fail to see why his venting needs to be protected from criticism and why pointing out that his venting is gratuitously aggressive is somehow worse than his tantrum.

We all need to vent from time to time. Most of us do it by finding a sympathetic ear, someone who knows us well enough to be willing to let us get whatever bothers us off our chests. Some, however, choose to do it in the middle of a busy street. If you choose to do that, don’t be surprised when passers-by yell back at you.

No, I wouldn’t. Or at least, I don’t want to. That’s precisely why I’m reacting this way.

If I did something like that, I hope that someone else would metaphorically slap some proverbial sense into me. I’ve had moments like this, on these very forums, and I’m not proud of them, but I always try to avoid doing that and I try to acknowledge when I did.

And that’s my whole point: I agree that nobody is perfect, but that doesn’t mean we need to shrug and whistle and walk away. I’m not excluding myself from this at all – if you see me write an entitled rant berating Funcom for something they did, you should tell me off.

4 Likes

Ok I probably will look a lil’ dumb but…
who da effing hell is Karen? °_°

lmao…it’s a saying, not a person. :crazy_face:

mmh… I’m not a very “social” type of person so usually I can’t get the meta-meme-speak.
So she is a sort of “Mary Sue” if I get it good?
So there must have been a Karen doing something weird in the start somewhere ^^

1 Like

Well, it is simple.
The OP clearly likes or even loves the game or otherwise he wouldn’t even bother posting on the forum here with the feedback he has given. Getting frustrated with a little rant here or there over things you like/love is normal.
It is still a valuable feedback.
The only thing that’s just wrong is calling someone names.

As for modders taking over the job of Funcom devs.
Umm no, sorry, definetly not.
It is far far more complicated to work on a full game than on a mod, no matter how complicated the mod is, a mod is still much easier to maintain than a “full game”.
Yes, there are some high quality modders out there, and i am sure some of them are true programmers, artists etc., but working on a full game, expecially with multiplayer/server code is just atleast 10 times more complicated.
I am not saying some of the modders wouldn’t be able to work on Conan Exiles as a dev, i am sure some of them would be able to. But just swapping the current devs out with the modders won’t do “magic” things all of a suddon, and i can guaranteene you the modders would cause some heavy bugs as well with nearly every bigger update, trust me.

Now, when it comes to bugs and the “Priority” of bugs.
Well, in this case it is mainly either the CEO and/or the Leads who set the priorities.
I don’t want to blame anyone, but leave the normal employeed devs alone please, they just do what they were told to do.

However, in the end you also need to make money in some shape or form.
So, sadly, you can’t just go bug hunting/fixing for the next 6 Month non stop ignoring everything else.
You have to add new things here and there from time to time to keep people interested, and sometimes you have to throw out an DLC as well for some extra $, this counts atleast for a game like Conan Exiles.
As much i would like having all bugs fixed, it’s just not possible for a complex game like CE to do so in a year, two or even three.
Expecially if you have to rewrite entire systems.

Still, Conan Exiles is a very beautiful game, let’s face it, Funcom did a lot of things right with this game here.
I also think Conan Exiles is way underrated and by far better than Ark for example, but that’s just my personal opinion.

3 Likes

Not sure I’ve ever heard the Mary Sue reference but “Karen” is stereotypically the type of person who demands to “speak to the manager” in order to belittle service industry workers, is anti-vaccination, and carries out racist micro-aggressions.

“Mary Sue” it’s the stereotypical created character that is perfectly perfect, beautiful as a goddess that never fails, she appears gloriously half naked or super cool dressed, but always with a distinctive unrealistic (fantasy) trait like white hair, eyes of different colors and things like that.

I was just looking into this “Karen” new kinda-stuff, it focuses on a certain demographic type of person (white, blondes, US) a kind of “boomer” but for females only.

I’m italian so often these meme-stereotype hunters have completely different flavours.
We have “AMIOCUGGINO”, for example… when you need some house work (paint or build or else) there is always a friend that tells you to call “his cousin” that is experienced and cheap… and in the end you get an horrible work.
So when you see something build bad, repaired in a fancy dumb way or working bad you immediately call it “AMIOCUGGINO” 's artwork ^^

bugcousin

1 Like

Nah I don’t think I’ll take your advice. I’ve made my decision, and I will continue to criticize people’s posts if I feel like voicing my opinion on it. You may do the same if you’d like. It won’t hurt my feelings at all.

This is not as a game breaking bug as the trebuchet + harp which let you drop the server everytime you wanted to, dupe items and get full 60 stats.
Funcom let this bug to live for monthes.
Even after people reported and some of the most famous conan youtubers posted about it, it still took a month or more to be fixed.
But i will be honest to you. Something has changed inside funcom… They are making updates more frequently and trying to improve the game. More than before.
About the modding community, funcom is improving their devkit and their assets to facilitate mod development and compatibilty, btw they are making a great work on it…
I think their devkit is the best one i tried.

Your complaint and frustation are legit. You, as a server owner and a community pillar (you represent the players who play on your server) must post about your frustration and point of view.
I think it’s good for funcom to understand and communicate to their customers as well to your players to have a feedback.

Don’t mind about some people on this forum. Most of them posts ok everything even knowing nothing about the issue, pretending to be the judge, the sage or the ali powerful being.
The more you participate on the forum, you Will begin to recognize the same faces, doing the same thing on every topic.

1 Like

All those RP admins use Pippi so they can easily work around the issue by adding a simple thespian while waiting for the fix. See how easy it is? All you need to do is have an admin who actually gives a ■■■■■■■ about their community :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Uff, Dota 2 sometimes gets 3 updates per day :smiley:

I can only imagine the screams of private RP server owners if CE updates 3 times per day :smiley:

1 Like

On one of the servers where I’m playing on, we adapt to the map issue by placing 6 maps in the same place. Now everyone has their own map and the problem is solved.

1 Like

. . .

Having programmed out a “fast travel” Thesbian, to replace the maproom with a thesbian while it would be viable, it would also take considerable hours of work and only solves one of the issues. The bigger issue for RP/Social servers was and always is the door problem and the workbench issue. And the Pippi workaround for doors, which would be to replace everything with Pippi Egresses and then program a thesbian to open the doors, while technically viable, is kinda ludicrous to propose because a typical public build has multiple doors and you’d need to set up that programming for every single one, which is likely hours of work to create a workaround for what is a bug. It also still leaves the bench issue.

All that said, as per what the CM posted here, today’s patch appears to be trying to address the issue and if it has, well, that should solve everything! ^.^

And the map-room thing is still not working even after the funcom patch.

This issue should have been resolved as of today’s patch. We haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on an official server with no mods since - might want to give your mod list a look.

4 Likes

I get where you’re coming from but this is a public forum afterall for the purposes of discussion, its not a blog with comments shut off. If someone comes in hot and gets hot responses… well, that should not really surprise anyone.

3 Likes

Okay can confirm works thus far without mods, and then with Pippi and Unlock+. Further seeing which mod is affecting it. Thank you for your prompt response.

2 Likes