Dear PVP, a letter from PVE-er

, ,

If you’re saying completely different games to purchase, meaning in order to play both PVP and PVE I must purchase two different games, then no that is not what I meant in my post.

I appreciate the insight and you might have answered an inner question I had about the possibility of official pvp or pve specific server settings/updates/patches.

Edit: I did check out this post you were kind enough to link in order to shed light on the topic, and i noticed the poll results leaned more towards separating the two.

2 Likes

I think you summerized what I meant towards the end of my post pretty well.

1 Like

Of course, anyone who has played the game for more than about 100hrs in each mode knows this is the only way that makes any sense - at all! I would be REALLY surprised if Funcom was unaware of this.

And they can do it just through server settings alone. Just implement the change (whatever it is) and add a switch or slider to the server settings tab. It’s only slightly more work - typically speaking…

1 Like

There are many features that I think enhance one style of the game, while detract from the other.
As mentioned above, some new restrictions or features (recent examples being visible health meters and build restrictions) are viable for one community, less so for others. A simple admin toggle that is used judiciously would work wonders.

I’d even go farther, There are some features that are extremely utile for a multiplayer game that are nothing but obstruction for the single player builder.
Yes, there is a mod for that.
Also, the majority of players are on console.
There shouldn’t need to be a mod to build what and where one was able to build a year ago. Updates shouldn’t make the game less for any play style.
An admin toggle would be perfect.

Even then, if an update is for PvP and only impacts PvP servers, that’s fine. Not every player will use every weapon either. Not even on thralls. No matter how cool the Scythe of Thag is, if you don’t use axes, you won’t use it. That’s fine, the Scythe still belongs in the game and is a worthy addition. That’s how I feel about targeted updates that would never be toggled to activity on any server I play on. They still enrich the game.

2 Likes

A PVE/PVP version of CE is a fantasy. The reason Testlive exists is because its the current built development version done for testing purposes, when it has received enough testing to deploy, it is done so to regular live.

You can test this yourselves, when a new patch hits, you can login to your normal server with the testlive version of the game and continue to do so until it updates sometime down the line. You can also use the live version to load into testlive servers during this time as well.

But the reason this is a fantasy is because they are not going to split the player base into two games. They are not going to split the time they take to do things into two different projects. And finally, we’re not going to have yet another devkit added to the game with another steam workshop. Managing two versions of the game would be a nightmare for modders.

2 Likes

No! This would be a very BAD idea! Just put the changes in the server settings panel. They won’t need to debug, maintain and compile different versions - and everything will be available to everyone if they decide they want to use it.

Win, win win for all involved.

5 Likes

If you’re going to use admin to spawn her in. Just do it with an Exile Tier 1 thrall and set their MDM to 20.0

For any one who thinks that everything can simply be changed to a server setting, I hate to break it to you, but that is a lot more difficult then it sounds. The following examples are just based on some assumptions of how the game works and are not meant to be taken as gospel.

Lets take an easy example first. Lets say you want to customize the damage of a weapon to do x in pvp and y in pve. First that weapon’s stats are likely written in a database that make a lookup fast and easy. The first thing to refactor it would to build a table that contains IDs the server can reference and and then the a weapons damage by ID. This is not to much trouble but now you are limited to a finite set of damages, x and y in this example. Players now see that it is possible to have a variable weapons damage and now say, I want to be able to set weapons damage to z on a custom server. Well z isn’t possible because funcom doesn’t know what number each server wants to set z. So they would have to create a modified database to look at first to see if z has be set, then lookup x if no z. Possible, but now they have to also create more server settings pages dedicated to just weapon attributes. In addition it would break all existing mods that modify weapons.

A more complex example would be if you wanted to increase the attack speed of a weapon. Especially in 3rd person games, the attack speed is tied to the animation. I am not going to go to in depth with this example except to say that it would require them to either maintain an animation for each attack speed, ore require them to refactor every single animation they want to be customizable. This is an unrealistic expectation.

Now we consider things like changes to healing effects and how fast they should be, how strong should they be, should you be able to move while doing so, should damage cancel the effect. Then you consider other aspects that come into play such as what if the animations for healing breaks during a pvp update, but not the pve one because you are maintaining two separate animations. Now players accuse you even more of breaking/favoring one mode over another as it takes you time to fix a specific mode. Now to top things off, you now have players who like the healing in pve but prefer playing pvp so you come to the forums to now ask for a new server types to fit your preferred playing style.

TL/DR:
A separation of features should, and likely will, be kept to things that are needed to separate pve from pvp. Admin panel customization is likely to be kept things that can be purely expressed as a number.

There is a console command that allows you to modify the stats on on individual item. Not for every version of the item that drops thereafter. But if a console command is capable, then there is a chance. In addition there is a mod that can restrict a range of itemID’s from being equipped based on flags. Usually its to add classes and restrict items based on classes. Mods can alter things with settings as well.

Again a mod can do this. Usually if a mod can do something, its a server setting capable thing. Not always depending on the complexity or if art assets are needed obviously. But if its just a slider or check box then sure.

And here is the actual root of the problem with this. Do they want to put in the effort simply to have dozens of players asking each for servers with different settings? Probably not. Easier to tell them to run their own servers and run mods (if on PC, sorry console peeps, you chose to play a bare basic version of the game, just like with Skyrim).

But yeah, existing setting changes and mods can do everything people ask for in this thread. That’s an avenue they should consider. Especially considering yall about to get less officials soon, not more.

Skyrim has mods on console now too! Xbox has like a 4gig limit, and I just feel bad for Playstation peeps. They have a reduced capacity AND can’t have any external assets because of Sony. feels bad man

2 Likes

4gb limit

Crom (read as: my data folder which is now 2-3x the size of skyrim itself) laughs at your four winds.

1 Like

I never said console was good for mods. Just that we had them lol

I fully realize a mod can do this, however they usually do it one of two ways.

The first is simply to speed up the animation. This however can have two primary side effects. First some animations do not look right when sped up. The second primary side effect is sometimes sounds are tied to frames, not time, which when an animation is sped up, the sounds no longer sync. Modders can get away with these issues, but a professional company probably can’t.

The second solution modders usually use is to replace the animation, which leads us back to the problem of maintaining multiple animations for the same action instead of a single animation.

Now they could obviously make an admin page for the weapon damage example. They likely could make one for the attack speed example, set it to 1 as the base line for both pvp and pve official servers and let players deal with the side effects of fiddling with it. The different healing animation example is almost certainly never going to happen. Even Skyrim took years for modders to implement a system that allows players to choose an animation set in game.

Yeah Sony really screwed us PS4 users with mods.

Such a missed opportunity, it was actually this which made me get an Xbox.

( I play a lot of Fallout and Skyrim)

1 Like

Same here. I can’t afford a PC, and my PS4 and Xbone were both gifted to me over the years, so I play with what I’ve got :slight_smile:

Yeah, you’re making a mistake bro. This is core of every server. All of the variables, RNGs, offsets, multipliers, rates, you name it, are there for the exposing if they so decide. All they have to do is add a gadget for it to the settings panel. Whip out UE and see for yourself.

Did you mean to respond to me? I am not suggesting two different versions of the game.

You’re giving me PTSD with that Harpy vault comment. I have been in every other vault at least 10 times. I’ve been in the Harpy vault 3 times. I’ve died 8 times in vaults due to creatures. I’ve only died in the Harpy vault. I don’t like the harpy vault. Nope, I do not.

1 Like

a really easy boss