Destroying NPC Chests / Tents

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why I cannot destroy the NPC tents and boxes like I used to. Is there a server setting I have to change?
R,
Ronnie

Hey Ronnie,

I would guess it is related to building damage. What mode/server are you playing?

I thought the destruction of benches, campfires, tents, and chests owned by NPC’s went away a few patches ago. It was a decision to add more stability to the rendering of more important things like enemies and corpses. Not sure which patch that was in.

2 Likes

Yeah, quite a long time in fact (well, long time in the context of a game that’s barely a year old). All those destructibles in the environment were stressing the servers so they changed them into pieces of scenery. As they now constantly exist in the same state, the server doesnt need to keep track of their status, hitpoints or respawn time.

I kinda liked blowing up pirate tents with a trebuchet, but I’m a bad person. And I like a less laggy game more than blowing up pirate tents.

1 Like

Boxes (as in chests etc) should still be destructible. It’s good manners to clean up after yourself by destroying boxes after emptying them of any worthwhile goodies, since they are (to my knowledge) still buggy if you don’t either do that, or close them just so. Which most people don’t.

2 Likes

This ^

3 or 4 streams ago they mention patching this out to save on memory. (or some other fancy word) So game would run better.

1 Like

Thank you for the inputs everyone.

I have been trying to destroy the chests/boxes that are looted but don’t seem to be able to. Does PVP building damage have to be enabled in the server settings?

R,
Ronnie

No, PVP is not required to destroy NPC chests. But at lower levels (in terms of weapons) it might require quite a few swings (10-20) to destroy one.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.