Exiled Lands have become very bright and washed-out with 2.3 update

Game mode: [Single-player]
Type of issue: [Performance | Misc]
Server type: [PvE]

I assume that the big reduction in texture quality on the PC was a deliberate, if unwelcome, move to improve performance. However, is the team aware of how over-exposed many areas of the Exiled Lands map have become? The brightness has increased quite dramatically with the 2.3 update and many areas like the oasis, southern river, jungle, savanna and various desert areas are now looking very white-washed and too bright.

As a side-note, this is also emphasizing the texture downgrade a lot more than was necessary.

1 Like

Try turning down your Gamma setting slightly, if you don’t discover the issue. For years I always had to tweak gamma on games, since I played a laptop, when most games were made for the old classic tube monitors at the time and didn’t handle lighting the same on LCD displays.

It always gets blamed on mods when it is always Funcom updated that start all of these bugs

And yes, same issue on my server

Exiled lands looks brighter indeed. The sandstorm has an exagerated bloom effect making everything look neon-white.
However i do have an increased fps though, so that is good. :slight_smile:
I feel like this change was to optimize exiled lands.
I also noticed that the image in clearer, textures are sharper. I observe more details now when looking at the landscape.
This is the sandstorm rn:

after the sandstorm it looks ok:

2 Likes

Let’s be realistic here. Funcom has no control over the mods. It isn’t their job to insure each update is completely compatible with all the mods out there. When I loaded up all my working mods into the 2.3 version of the game, 30% of them did not work and half of them broke the game. Some of those were mods from exceptional developers that have top reputations in the modding community.

They need time to get their mods updated to be compatible with the new 2.3 code. Some are quick updates and some are much more time extensive to update.

If you get a new Funcom code update and things don’t work right, the first thing to do is load up a vanilla game on that new code to test the issue. If it is still there, THEN it is something Funcom needs to take seriously.

If you buy a car, then replace the engine with some 3rd party engine and it dies on the road, you can’t expect the car manufacturer to fix it for you under warranty.

For me, mods are an absolute must to make this game enjoyable enough to stick around and play for a while. Without them I’d get too frustrated and quit after a couple weeks. I absolutely love the mods I use, but it doesn’t change that they are often a problem when new patches come out.

1 Like

This looks like it might be the same issue we have in Siptah, in some underwater rooms that are blindingly lit up from glowing goop. If so, it might also be in the works for a fix like the glowing goop rooms are. Just speculation on my part.

1 Like

This issue has nothing to do with mods. I play on a vanilla Exiles server and the game is completely washed out at the brightest point of the day, and adjusting gamma does not help the issue. This started with the most recent patch. I can run the game on ultra settings and it was a beautiful game before this latest patch, now it looks like trash. Again, this is on a non-modded Exiles server.

8 Likes

It amazes me how something like that can get through the QA process…unless there was none because it seems pretty obvious and given that there are more than one thread on it you would think that if they looked they would have seen it…

This is while the storm effect is happening. Without the storm it looks ok. The storm looked bad before the update as well.

No sandstorm here. The game is completely washed out at the brightest part of the day. Denial is not a river in Egypt.

5 Likes

Why hasnt there been any witty answer from funcom? Something like “we will put sunglasses on the devs and lock them in a dark room” I dont know about anyone else but those witty comments are annoying…they could atleast say something usefull…but then I am a grumpy old man so its probably just me…

1 Like

It’s white because you’re using acheronian fences. :rofl:

Those are Aquilonian. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, maybe you shouldn’t detract from it.

i play on official server so it have nothing do do with mods … looks same for me.

i have my base in the jungle so i thought the weather there was changed.
but it looks like the light effects have been changed. please fix that. it looks really horrible. even if you are in the shadow it looks way too bright

please funcom-conan-team reset it like before the update

I have the same problem as well.

Following up on my own comment, I tried entering the console “~”
then type “gamma 2”

gamma

and hit enter, it appears they have changed the default gamma to something between 2 and 3.

I have the same problem with ultra brightness on official PvE no mods Exiles during the sandstorm

thank you … looks much better now

Hi after 2.3 Exile Lands are too bright (no its not my gamma) its the sunshine or a new bloomeffect?
pls conan-team fix it like it was before 2.3

when the sun is shining it’s nearly unplayable :frowning: