Flying inside buildings

Game mode: Online private
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: Europe

Well, something strange started happening recently. Players randomly bug out when entering/interacting with structures. The moment I touch the straircase or ladder my charatcer starts to “fly” as seen in the screenshots. It persists through the whole time I’m in a building and stops the moment I exit. Sometimes going away and returning back helps but it seems pretty random.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Construct a buulding.
  2. Enter it.
3 Likes

Sometimes when I get this bug, half or better of my base will be affected. When you begin to ‘float’ over a building piece, you also can’t interact with it, I.E. destroy it. The only remedy I’ve noticed is to go a long ways out of rendering range and return and ‘sometimes’ it’ll return to normal, or try a relog.

I did not have this issue with the most recent Testlive build, so maybe they have remedied it for the next patch. One can always hope.

3 Likes

I did not have this issue with the most recent Testlive build, so maybe they have remedied it for the next patch. One can always hope.

I do hope it is the case, it’s killing the joy out of buidling in this game :frowning:

2 Likes

The same thing happens to me when I log in, but only for about less than a minute or until everything in base had fully loaded.

I take it back, it IS still happening in Testlive, although slightly different. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: 20180912181852_1 Still floating on some pieces, and still able to cross through others…

1 Like

So what’s happening here is the graphic loads, but the collision model doesn’t. So your graphic engine shows everything as normal. The server however does something weird.

For some reason your client doesn’t get the info needed to have collision detection with certain building pieces (doesn’t happen with the whole base usually). But the Server KNOWS there’s something there. So on the server you’ll walk up steps. On your end you’ll float up them. The server is moving you up so the client things you’re in the air.

Relogging usually fixes it, or makes another section bug. I think it has to do with how fast the server gets the information to the client and if any info is dropped its for some reason not resent.

I’m unsure what parts of the game sends information by TCP or UDP. If its UDP this would explain it. TCP would simply lag a bit and then work probably. That is assuming lost/delayed packets is the issue.

It might simply just be an inherent bug in how the game determines what you collide with. But this bug has been in since Early Access. Its probably insanely hard to reproduce. Sometimes I see it daily, and then can go for a month without it being a problem. Right now I haven’t had any issues.

I THINK it might be due to numbers of foundations used in an area. I currently play on a server that limits foundation usage and I haven’t seen this issue since I started playing there about 3 weeks ago.

2 Likes

I am beginning to think the reason might be…unique here, and your explanation gave me an idea.

See, I think the game allowed me to build a house where I probably shoulnd’t be able to. Above me there is a small NPC camp. Due to a bug/glitch or some godly intervention (as I don’t use mods other than a level-cap remover and one fluff mod adding some furniture) I was able to build a small cottage in the valley below the said camp.

Everything was fine up until I logged in the next day and all of this started happening: I (and other player visiting) started “flying” inside the house, we cannot build anything in or outside the house, not until we move away a few meters…

So I’m thinking maybe the game changed it’s mind as to allowing me build here and that is why it’s acting so weird in this area?

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.