Foundation lag still exist?

Hello, does anyone know if the foundation lag is still present in the game, or was it fixed? Asking because we have a building workaround in place and modded out all foundations, but it might be an outdated workaround that might be not necessary anymore. Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Foundations, Fence Foundations, and Pillars all have a 1 to 1 to 1 impact on server performance. This means 5 pillars has the same impact as 5 foundations, which have the same impact as 5 fence foundations.

There is a 5 year old myth about regular foundations having some sort of ‘script’ or function. But this was a myth (potentially caused by a bug, but it if was it was only for an extremely short time during Conan’s beta, ands one I never personally noticed), that has absolutely no bearing on today.

If you are building 4 fence foundations to replace a single foundation, understand this has the same impact as 4 foundations. If you are using a pillar and four walls, then it roughly has the same impact as 4 foundations.

Foundations, Fence Foundations, and Pillars only have a slightly more impact than walls, roofs, fences, ect because they exert landclaim. But the difference is negligible. You’re better of counting the total amount of building pieces (all forms of foundations, pillars, walls, roofs, fences, windows, doorways, gates, etc).

By modding out foundations, you are actually causing more issues than fixing (as in fixing none, unfortunately). The best way of dealing with building based server lag is limiting how much pieces players are using, and this is going to be determined by how many players you effectively want to have. If its a small server among friends (about less than 10) then you effectively have no real functional limit.

3 Likes

Lets break it down to basics. Building blocks in the game are mainly

meshes

Textures

attach points

data stored fornthe object (decay, hp, name etc)

impact:

Meshes impact .db by how many polygons it is made of.

Textures impact based on how much resolution (512x512 image,<2048x2048 image)

attach points impact by how much instant math it has to do when connected with something else

data impacts by how much of it is static or constantly changing.

So to find out the real answer, ine would have to pull thatbfor each building piece. My guess is it is not much different for most of pillars foundations.

1 Like

This has some truth. If i remeber, a dev stream talked about it. It was part, not all, if the reason. It was a passive farming method that was counter to what theybwanted fish to be.

i forgot lighting code for those that produce it. They have large impacts because of rendering shadows etc.

1 Like

Thanks all for your input!

(remains undecided :D)

1 Like

I am afraid that some of the meshes and textures from the mods included could be high quality
So that’s why I am still hesitant.

Sort of, but it’s more complicated than that. If there are no players nearby, they don’t. They’ll do the “catch up” calculation when a player comes near enough to activate them.

You can read more on the AI LOD wiki page.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.