Frequent drops during fighting

This is happening to us as well.

Mid fight we’ll randomly disconnect from the server. Sometimes both sides at the same time. It’s sporadic and on occasion will affect more than 2 players but seems to be a trigger while in combat.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a completely different issue :slight_smile:
So we were looking in the completely wrong direction. To be fair you did say:

In any case the connection lost can be due to many many factors and none of them actually involve your computer, so you are correct, your video drivers won’t help with that.

This can be due to many factors, your internet connection to the server itself.
It’s not enough to have “good internet”, the part that matters in this case is the route your connection takes to this specific server.

So it’s entirely possible that you have the best internet money can buy, but the routing path connecting your computer and the server has one or more points (servers along the way) where the connection is problematic.

However there are also other, unexplained factors at work here.

(Well, not so unexplained) Basically hiccups with the actual server program dropping your connection for one or more reasons (could be battle-eye / funcom live services / other issues)

Why am I saying that? Because this happened to me as well a couple of times (though very very rarely, like 3 times total over the course of a year) on a local server. In that setting it’s physically impossible for me to lose connection to the server since the server is on the same computer, so there’s definitely other factors involved.

If it’s frequent though then it’s most likely the first reason… somewhere along the way the connection is having issues (can be bad quality of service from the servers themselves if they have a dodgy connection towards a specific geographical region)

Bottom line though… there really isn’t anything you can do on your end unless you know you have a bad connection and can switch to a better one (which most likely is not the case)

I grasp disconnects can be internet related, but in my case they are not. Sure routing plays into it, but the chances of it being my routing changed the EXACT time the patch comes out coupled with the exact issue happening to many many players at the same time, no really really doubtful, and if so I need to play the lottery. I work remote 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week and never ever disconnect from my VPN. As stated my router, switches, pc are all on battery backup. I get that the internet is typically the culprit, but it is not in this case. The chances of every single player having this issue at the same exact time, increasing right after the patch is about the chances of having a winning lottery ticket in my pocket while I crash in the ocean upside down in an airliner while joining the mile high club. Truth be told, I appreciate you pointing me to the logs, never occurred to me to check them, but to be honest, I never intended to. I look at logs all day. I just came here to find a thread of everyone else having the same issue to see if anyone heard anything from funcom about it. I understand routing, networking, computing, and software better than most. I just didnt want to do it on the weekend after doing this crap all week long. You actually got me to give some effort lol. Kind of like a plumber that has a faucet that constantly drips. Just dont want to poke that bear on my day off. I know the issue is directly related to Funcom and their coding.

Attached is a snip of my trace route. Youll notice I got a pretty low hop count to the server. The server listed is PVE 6109, which is hosted in Chicago so no region issue, very close to me. One thing left to test is to ping the server with a tail while it drops and see if I lose connection or its just in the game itself. I am positive it is, but hey, ive come this far.

Happens to me on PlayStation. I’ve seen my error log and the majority of crashes are coming from Conan Exiles in the last weeks. One was so bad it crashed twice in a row and shut down my whole ps5. :expressionless:

Well that would be more relevant than tracing the route when it’s working anyway.
But like I said above, this very much could be on the hosting side as ALL official servers without exception are hosted by gportal… so it’s highly possible they are having some intermittent issues.

Here’s the thing, if it was a general coding issue with the server then you would have this reported from all private servers as well… and so far most complaints are from officials. (which are already of horrendous quality, so there’s nothing to suggest that their connection would be prioritized in any way by gportal if they’re already starving them of resources anyway)

If all of these were due to some coding issue that drops connection every time you engage in combat, you would have way more reports.
In any case, the conclusion will still be the same… not much you can do about it on your end.

Ok, here is the final test. Here is my Exiles server, which has a close boss to force a disconnect. Here is the trace route:

Now I will do a ping with tail to test:
Ok, not even a noticeable blip. So, its def either server or game related. I didn’t think it was on my end, but thank you for leading me to test it out and prove it out, now without question it is a Funcom/Gportal issue (which makes it Funcoms problem). Thanks for getting involved and helping!

1 Like

Oh, here is what I failed to include, which points me MORE towards a GAME and CODING issue…If I disconnect during the fight, when I load back in, the boss I was fighting DOESNT FIGHT BACK! He just sits there while me and my thralls attack him and never fights back. Thats ONLY if I crash during the fight. It purposely stops the fight, stops the boss from fighting, allows me to log back in and kill him while he just sits there. So, very very much pointing to a coding issue.

Yea I figured it wouldn’t be the case, like I said above

If you had any issues on your end you would have been aware of those even without tests :slight_smile:

Just for clarity’s sake though, this is still not a crash (referring to it as such, might confuse people as you’ve seen above).
Crash would be an unhandled error pretty much terminating the program instantly like a memory access violation, this is very much handled as you’re getting an ingame notification that you disconnected.
This is essentially being disconnected / kicked off the server.

I’m not sure that this is actually related though.
Things in Conan Exiles utilize an AILOD component. What this does is that based on LOD as being observed through any player, the AI will be completely suspended for most things when they go beyond their highest LOD setting.
In other words the AI stops working if there’s nobody around to observe it.
So what you’re experiencing could be that due to the nature of the sudden disconnect, it doesn’t switch back on properly when you get back in or it would take a bit longer, but most likely related to this function somehow.

Well, not much I can help with this sadly :smiley: Initially when I thought it was the game crashing I hoped that I could help get to the bottom of it, but there’s really not much we can do about this here except speculate about the cause, which will still not fix it unfortunately.

Anyway, good luck! Hopefully this gets improved soon.

I am throwing up a private server now to test. I want to test this out now that Im in this deep. At least I can prove it out as far as I can.

If you can, please reply in the thread llink below with anything you find out. No one from Funcom seems interested in addressing this issue at the moment.

Ok, so l created a server off my host (I have a Dell poweredge 710). I created the VM running server 2019, with 8 cpus, 16 GB mem and 300 GB storage. Its public now (=MGC= Community Server1 is the name). Let me tell you something, my game has never run so smooth. Well, to the important part, not a single glitch, not a single disconnect, not a single issue. So, the issue seems to be with Gportal. I wonder if they are cheaping on the mem they are throwing at their VM’s? But I can tell you my server has no issues nor does my game. Well, at least we are somewhere further than we were.

Yea I know :smiley: Now you see why I only got issues like that only a handful of times a year on a private server.

90% of the game’s very frequent issues (like dodgy AI, rubberbanding, disconnects) are related to official servers being just bad. It’s kind of insane how they don’t upgrade them :man_shrugging:

On the plus side though, now you can use mods as well :slight_smile: Feel free to check out a few of mine in case you go down that route, I’m sure you’ll like them, mostly QoL stuff (shameless plug lol)

sure! add me on discord, =MGC= Ranger #7449

Gotta say its freakin sad when a host I bought at auction 3 years ago runs the game far superior to any official server. Shame on Gportal.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.