Friendly Reminder in regards to Bazaar "Cosmetics"

Hey, all just wanted to remind you all that armor and weapons from the bazaar still can’t be shared with other players. For those who play with friends, family or partner, beware that both of you have to buy a “cosmetic” to be able to use it, when in the past you were able to buy a full dlc for almost the same price and share the armor and weapons with no limitations.

15 Likes

Ok thanks. Glad to see there is still a plethora of other items I can enjoy and not be so concerned with what others have.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that, I would like to clarify no one is concerned with what others have, its the lousy restriction that you can’t share your armor/weapons with your friend or in my case, my wife that I play with all the time on our private server. We shouldn’t have to spend 40 dollars (almost a full triple AAA game price on release ) to be able to make the new armors and wear them. One of us should be able to spend 10 dollars and be able to make armor for the both of us.

8 Likes

Yeah, thank you for the reminder… we knows this game is about to become very expensive, because of that, and the server…

3 Likes

thanks for the update! i almost forgot!

1 Like

Yep. They want to make money. Because publishers want paid if you expect them to keep pushing content, and game devs and artists don’t do their work for free. Not let one person buy the cosmetics and then build all the items for everyone on the server for free.

I can’t fault them for that.

If you feel the items are too expensive, let the free market speak on your behalf and don’t spend the money on them. If truly the items are too expensive, then Tencent will need to adjust their prices.

If they are meeting their target financial goal, then other people do not agree with you and … those prices will remain.

I don’t disagree either, but one person won’t be able to craft the armor for the whole player base across pc and consoles. That would be ridiculous but it isn’t the case.

Thats exactly what happened with DLC armor and weapons in front of my very eyes.

One person bought the DLC and then was making armor and weapons for dozens of people who didn’t want to spend money on the DLC. That was just a handful of servers, and I know its not an outlier.

Out of a group of 20 people or so, 5 people owned DLC and all 20 had items from that DLC.

Sure I’m not denying that did happen but if you really want to talk numbers here, 1 person sharing the armor with 60 people won’t even put a dent on the amount of money they will make from the sales across all platforms. 60 x 10 = 600 dollars for the new Aesir armor with some change. Now lets say 100 people from each platform buy the armor, 100 pc, 100 xbox and 100 PS4 that would be 300 X 10 = 3,000 dollars, now this is simple of course there are more variables to consider like regional pricing which I don’t know if this was adjusted or not. Battlepass & Steam - Regional prices reference post for this. To not bore you, I see your point of view, but let’s be honest here, restricting the ability to share crafted armor and weapons was implemented out of pure greed. Why wasn’t it set for past dlcs? or the Atlantean sword? or the royal armor?

6 Likes

I’m of the opinion items made should be share able between other players.
It adds value to both players that didn’t buy and players that bought it.

Same as for the weapons and armour that has illusions, if you kill and loot another player but don’t own the specific dlc you can’t use it (which leans towards p2w).

I’m not claiming building sets should be shared (even though it was possible before) but allow at least the craft able decorations, armours and weapons to be traded.

4 Likes

Thank you for reminding me of that, PVP is also another aspect of the game that is affected by this.

3 Likes

Because it was a different time, company, business model, economy and mindset.

I’ve been a server denizen since 2017, up to and until this current way. On every server I occupied, PC and PS4, I would craft parts and pieces on request, which ALWAYS led to players buying one or more DLCs. Furthermore, I bought DLCs for players I like, and every birthday I’d buy DLC for a rando or new friend who really liked a set. This would in turn seed their purchase of one other set, typically Blood and Sand. But like I said, those days are over.

5 Likes

Well I guess the only solution for now is this and like I said before, tencent always corrupts everything it touches.

1 Like

I strongly disagree with you. Speaking from someone IN the game dev industry.

Why wasn’t it set for past dlcs? Because funcom was in charge. Why would tencent want this? Because funcom wasn’t making money with conan exiles.

Pure greed?

My dude. It costs a game dev studio a lot of money in monthly salaries. If I have 5 developers working fulltime on conan, that translates roughly to 40-50k in monthly salaries and benefits. And thats for non senior developers.

Why on earth from a mathematical standpoint would i continue to plug in 40-50k ia month n salaries for a game not bringing that much back at the bare minimum?

I have seen first hand telemetry on what people spend in bazaars and have had this very marketing meeting a couple of times in my career now.

Reducing the ability to share pure greed?

No.

The monthly cost to keep content flowing into Conan Exiles is X.

Clearly the amount of money Conan Exiles was bringing in was not enough to justify X.

The DLCs were super underpriced in the first place.

Second - they have stated all gameplay updates are FREE. So we are paying NOTHING to get the updated gameplay mechanics. Where does that leave making money to justify paying developer salaries?

So it comes down to… if you want Conan Exiles to get updated, it needs to make enough to justify X. Making it so one person can buy something and share it freely with dozens is not good math or good business.

As I want conan exiles to continue, I support their decision.

2 Likes

This. I mean it’s like everyone’s conspiracy hat goes on when Tencent gets involved. Tencent bought the company. Let it roll for a certain time period and then said, ‘hey, yeah we sorta want to see value in our investment…more than what is keeping the lights on’ . That’s not greed. That is investing $150,000,000 and expecting a return out of it. No different than your selections on the 401K funds.

While we can all talk about the new monetization efforts being liked or disliked, the old DLC method wasn’t cutting it and so saying you want to go back to that is not an option because it didn’t work. How do I know? Because they changed it completely. You tweak things that work to make them better. You go back and redesign if it doesn’t. I don’t think anyone is going to argue that the BP and Bazaar is a complete redesign of the revenue stream system.

1 Like

I know. That’s why I’m taking a stance. =)))

1 Like

No one is denying that Funcom should make revenue I fully agree, my only issue is the dumb restrictions. Either they allow players to share the damn items or they lower the prices for them, it shouldn’t cost me 20 dollars to use a damn armor.

1 Like

Good for you, gotta make sure daddy’s wallet stays empty.

I’ve waited for the Aesir armor for a long time :smiley:

Same here. If they keep making armor like this, it’s an insta buy from me.

2 Likes