Funcom: Interviews, showcases and next gen console support - May 2020 (Updated December 17, 2020)

They’re good designers. They just lack the resources to properly fulfil those designs.

2 Likes

@n2wichita75 tldr; what Kapoteeni said.

I haven’t given my opinion on Funcom’s ability to develop games in this thread, or whether such a degree of developing skill is required to be able/allowed to use newer consoles. New technology presents new possibilities, regardless of whether developers take advantage of them. Even if they don’t, in the current market adapting to newer consoles is necessary. Newer consoles have features relevant for consumers and often more secure. Backwards compatibility is easier to create than forward compatibility.
Funcom has been around for a while. Being able to develop well on older platforms does not guarantee they’re able to develop well on newer platforms.

Fixes breaking the game applies to most large sandbox survival games. Assets are a lot more connected and as such can have very specific issues which are hard to fix if you don’t know where to look. Fixing them may rely on people with different setups and playstyles testing them, which developers can only do very limited in-office. TestLive is also only being played by a handful of players.
Conan Exiles was made when Funcom was in debt and its base code has some issues, so they have to find workarounds when implementing certain features. The engine version it’s built on is also not optimized for very large map sizes, which in certain areas can lead to odd behaviour (e.g. by the eastern border of the map, creatures might occasionally glitch through the mesh).

Update June 8, 2020

PC Gaming Show 2020 list of developers

Update June 10, 2020

IGN Expo Debut was/is now stated as 1:30pm PT, not 1:45pm PT. Corrected. Guerilla Collective times are now known (same for all days).
An updated schedule for all events can be found in the main post in this thread ^

David Goldfarb has teased the reveal with what appears to be rock/metal music composed by Two Feathers Studios and sung by Dark Tranquility vocalist Mikael Stanne which may be used on “several boss places”?

https://twitter.com/locust9/status/1270619993730883584

Burn bright

Chorus
Embers prevail - Pull all the pillars down
In reign - You set every world aflame
Descend - Pull all the pillars down
Awaken the memories of this discarded mind
Unknown chaos come at last

Eclipse the damning sky
Pull all the pillars down

Breakdown
No artifacts can heal her
For no blessing can unchain

Unchain

A distant reality to you

PS: I do not own copyright for these lyrics, all credits go to The Outriders / Funcom and this is being used (under fair use) for education purposes only.

In the new schedule image on the twitter, something can vaguely be seen in the background:

It is accompanied by the description “Join us, we’ll have a hell of a time, promise!”

It drops now!
(Enjoy the show! :heart:)

Reveal trailer:

Gameplay music trailer (November 24, 2020)

Metal: Hellsinger (ETA: 2021)

Strike terror into the hearts of demons and devils as you fight your way through eight Hells. Metal: Hellsinger is a rhythm FPS, brimming with diabolical enemies, powerful weapons, and metal music. Set out on an infernal journey in order to achieve the purest of goals: Vengeance.

Developer

• The Outsiders

Publisher

• Funcom

Platforms

• PC (Windows)
  • PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
  • Xbox One and Xbox Series X

Languages
Interface and subtitles are supported for the following languages:

• Brazilian
  • Simplified Chinese
  • English (Full audio)
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Polish
  • Russian
  • Spanish

System requirements

• TBD

Director

• David Goldfarb

Narrator

• Troy Baker (The Last of Us) as Paz the Skull
  • Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect) as The Red Judge

Composer

• Two Feathers Studios (Elvira Björkman, Nicklas Hjertberg)

Performers (More to be announced)

• Matt Heafy (Trivium)
  • Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity)
  • Björn Strid (Soilwork), also known as “Speed”
  • Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy)
  • Tatiana Shmailyuk (Jinjer)
  • James Dorton (Black Crown Initiate) will perform “Poetry of Cinder”

Thumbmails / Concepts

• Tony Holmsten, Freelance Senior Concept Artist

There you have it!

See also:

1 Like

Nvm :slight_smile:

What luckily didn’t kill the mood was the spoiler by Steam moments before the event.

Do I have to have said on here that it probably wasn’t going to be a reveal of the new map to be able to say now that I’d called it?

Still disappointed by the reveal though …

After the break! Close-up on Metal: Hellsinger on IGN Expo

Why would anybody have thought it was going to be a map reveal? From the first day they said it was going to be a game reveal for a new Published title from “The Outsiders” company :stuck_out_tongue: I didn’t think for one second that it had anything to do with Conan Exiles.

Not quite the announcement I was expecting, however as a diehard metalhead and a guitarist myself you have piqued my interest. While not the single most brutal line-up of all time, its enough to warrant a look. If you do hear of any others please do update the list. Thanks for the news The LOLxd2. :smiling_imp: :metal:

3 Likes

Ya got me, but one thing I’ve learned is that no matter how obvious something is, an alarming number of people will still manage to overlook it.

1 Like

@Croms_Faithful Noted.

we have other people we can’t talk about yet…(1)

@BoogerParty 2/3 of people (everyone who didn’t think it would be an FPS) was not basing themselves on existing details.

Update June 11

Details on the beat mechanic:

We animate to a set BPM and scale the animation speed with a BPM multiplier. We also use a lot of beat matched triggers and sometimes drive the normalized time with the beat.
It’s really different animation work than what any of us have done before, and awesome fun!

– Erik Söderholm, Animation Director at The Outsider

Details on next-gen console optimization:

The game will be optimized for next-gen consoles, with improved visuals, up to 120 frames per second(2) or 60fps at 4K and drastically reduced loading time. It also supports Xbox Smart Delivery.(3)

Previews are also out, such as this one by IGN:

And this one with a little more gameplay from VG24/7

Fun fact: the skull you use as weapon is called “Paz the Skull” and is what guides you throughout the game.
The world the game is set in is called “The Infernal Planes”, or “The Thousand Hells”. In the game, you fight through eight Hells, including the “icy world of […]” (Vöggr? Vogue?) “and the maddening world of Stygia.”(1)

Tomorrow is an interview with Thad Clevenger. See the main post in this thread for info.

A first-person shooter where you fight demons and other creatures from Hell?

What is this weird sense of deja vu? Or did my time machine malfunction and take me back to 1993?

4 Likes

Detailed showcase times announced!

Check the main post.

Conan Exiles: PC, TestLive patch - June 13, 2020

2 Likes

Funcom welcomes you to “Check these beats” - LIVE in 10 minutes. (If I’m not mistaken)
No new info so far, just the trailer from before. Right now they’re doing Paradox Insider.

If you can’t wait, check back for PC Gaming Show 2020 in an hour.