Gameplay Etiquette

I would really like some advice for how to be polite to fellow players in a shared environment, even though I’m too shy to talk to anyone.

I’m very excited about SWL. It’s the first MMO that has ever kept me engaged for more than a few hours - the first one I’ve logged into more than once, in fact. But this means I have virtually no experience with common etiquette in multiplayer environments. (I have a little bit of experience with the etiquette of Dark Souls, but I don’t know if that is at all useful here.)

I’m also really shy, anxious even, so the idea of trying to engage with strangers on the chat channels is kind of a nightmare. (Hopefully I’ll get past that eventually, but it won’t be soon.)

So for example, when I’m wandering the streets of Kingsmouth blasting zombies, and I see another player doing the same, should I just sort of ignore them if I don’t have the nerve to use the chat function? Would joining in be recognized as a friendly gesture, “jolly cooperation,” or would I be rudely barging in uninvited and stealing the kills they might need for their challenges?

I really dread coming off as rude, either by ignoring or by interfering. Any input or advice on this will be really welcome!

4 Likes

Even though SWL is honestly not a MMO, honest (marketing BS be praised), it’s really a MMO.

As such, some people will be completely ignoring zone chat, others might get their hopes up you’re an RPer if you acknowledge a chance meeting in chat. Some might relish a chance to team up, others will just take the opportunity to kill all those mobs and that mini-boss in a hurry and run off to leave you waiting for respawns (which can take a while on some of those mini-bosses).

Really, as long as your interaction style is somewhat civil, just doing what you’re comfortable with will probably let you find some in-game friends who’re similar in how and how much they like to interact.

2 Likes

A lot will depend on what kind of interaction you are personally comfortable with. There’s not much in the way of unsolicited conversation when you’re out in the game zones, but you will occasionally encounter chatty people.

If you’re running missions then others may regard you as competition for mobs and objectives, which may mean they aren’t really interested in talking.
Killing mobs which have already been tagged is normally pretty socially acceptable, but hitting and tagging targets which someone is also running up to is often seen as being kinda rude - though others will probably do it to you too at some point. Mobs tagged first by another player will not normally count towards your own challenges and objectives, but if you find someone fighting a champion, then hitting it at least once should give you the achievement for the mob, but I’m not sure if it will then drop the one time only lootbag.

You can always just try using “/wavebig” if you see another player. That way if they’re interested in talking, you’ve already made the first move but not in any way that puts pressure on anyone to talk.

Another option is to join a cabal. That can be helpful because it’s normal to chat to people using the cabal chat channel, and there’s often conversations which you can join in on (even in small amounts) which will help build your confidence. Cabals often run group content together, which is a good way to get to know people and helps you identify people you’d actually like to talk to :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to SWL =)

Just wanna clarify the tagging AWOL mention =) on a general. Whoever hit first, get credit. In some cases the credit gets shared. This might work different in other MMOs, which is where kill stealing come from. If anyone ever throw KSer at you for helping with a kill, know that they are misinformed.

/wavebig is brillant to show ppl that you see them. Jumping out in the field can also be a greeting, but asks more attention. In group content a jump is more of a ready check, or showing that yes you are ready.

If i am new in a dungeon, or if i am a bit rusty, then i tell ppl. If you meet a real asshole they might give you grief for that, but just remember ppl like that aint worth listening to. Most will just take it into account. Some will happily guide you. Personally thankful when people share it =).

I always say hello at the begining of a group up, and I always say thank you at the end. This varies a lot from player to player, so dont feel discouraged if non of the others do.

Some players in MMOs randomly throw invites for group/cabal without communicating it first… Generally i find this a bit rude, but depends a bit on the situation at hand. If you are clearly on the same mission and have your hands too full to type, then it is alright. Among friends we also ‘kidnap’ for group without context, but that is with ppl you know. This part is just how i feel about it.

Dont be afraid to ask if ppl wanna group. Worst case they say no. Best case you might make a friend.

Friend list doesnt use a invite system but an add system. Another player wont know you added them if you dont tell them. It is very polite to ask if you can add ppl, but its not badly frowned upon if you dont. Just as often you will find ppl telling you ‘i added you to fl’. You kan also tell ppl ‘feel free to add me to fl’. This is most often done by ppl who helped someone out or the like, and really just tells others that you would be okay with them poking you again.

General chat reaches across the map you are on, so it is not global. Say chat is a close range chat that you only see if close enough. Kinda like normal talking =). If someone PM you, you can hit R and it will fast reply. Be aware that your PM, tell messages, is in its own isolated chat tab by default. You can change this.

2 Likes

If you see someone doing a mission, type “/tell xitaqa Want to group up?” (substitute your name with their nickname) and then when in a group you will share kills, and often objectives if you’re both on exactly the same step of a mission.

To explain how sending a tell works, their name might be something like John “Wilkes” Booth and so in that example, it’s the “Wilkes” you’d use, so you might type “/tell wilkes Looks like we doing the same quest. Group up?” (to which they’d receive something like “[Xitaqa] Looks like we doing the same quest. Group up?”)

Of course there’s probably a decent chance they’ll ignore you, but occasionally you’ll get someone who is happy to team up for mutual benefit. If they’re up for it, one way to invite them to your group (if they’ve accepted the idea of grouping up - don’t just do this at random) is to press ctrl+tab when they’re in front of you, and you’ll select them. Press Alt to free up the mouse, and their name and health should show at the left side of the screen in a box - right-click that, and click the Invite option in the dropdown menu.

Looks a lot more complicated, written out, than it did in my head.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome! I feel like I can give a little advice here, because I was (and still am a little) like you described.

My first MMO as well, and at first I just froze if I encountered players. But if you don’t feel like chatting at first you can do a little jump, maybe one or two, just as a friendly sort of hello. It’s how I get by mostly.
Or you can use the emotes by pressing “O” which is a nice way to just acknowledge people without the need to chat.

Ignoring them is fine as well though, I don’t think most people will take it personally, and the majority of players I have interacted with have all been very nice.

I may be wrong, but if someone has already attacked a target, then they will get the kills for their challenges even if you help out (someone correct me if that’s wrong) and I think most people will be ok with you lending a hand. This is actually something I struggle with though, not wanting to interfere and whatnot.

Hope you have a good time though, the community here is wonderful, and you can always find people to help here or on the discord if you have questions.

3 Likes

Depends on Faction really. Lumies are generally the ruder of the bunch and dragons are quiet but I’d still watch your back around them. You can always count on having a good wholesome conversation with a Templar though and if your finding it a struggle to “break the ice” so to speak then que for Shambala, it will except you even if your a lumie or a dragon.

3 Likes

If I may, I’d like to add an etiquette question that has somehow eluded me so far…

When people advertise in chat for people to join in dungeons/lairs/raids/etc, what is the etiquette for responding? Do you just click to join their group, or message them direct or what? I don’t usually see any responses in the chat, so I assume there’s a convention most people follow

Message them with your ip/role or if they specify looking for dps ip750+ and that fits your qualifications then message them saying your interested or a simple “invite please” something of that nature. Generally ninja invites or group join requests are negatively reacted to. By ninja I mean without prior request to join or to have them join you.

3 Likes

Many PM as Drenneth explained. Sometimes you will see ppl putting an x or + in chat. This is also a way to signal that you wanna join. However if more things are being called for, make sure to indicate which one you mean to join =). PM is still the clearest form though.

On the flip side if you are looking for a group to join alone, but don’t wanna form a group do something of the form: DPS 750ip LFG for e5 dungeons

LFG meaning Look For Group. Basicly tell people your item power, your role(s) and what activity you are interested in.

In this case it is equally polite to pm the person if you want them to join your group, instead of just throwing a ninja invite.

2 Likes

Or you don’t have to interact with people at all for the most part. I find that most enjoyable.

3 Likes

Let need be your guide. Feel the need to interact – for simple enjoyment or whatever – then go for it. Feel the need to get that mission done quickly – too quickly to pause and chat – then that’s OK, too. If talking feels like too much, you can use an emote such as “/wavebig” to give a friendly “Hi, I noticed you’re not an npc!” without incurring any expectation of discussion.

If you’re wondering about expectations of others, chat generally follows need there, too. If you don’t need to interact to achieve your goal, then most people don’t chat. IMHO, this is mostly due to the UI requiring one hand permanently on the mouse, which hinders typing and thus chat. In the old pre-mouse MMOs where people controlled their characters mostly with both hands on the keyboard, chatting was much MUCH more common.

Don’t be worried if people don’t respond or respond 5m after the fact. They can get pretty focused on their current task and not notice chat right away or they might not have their chat-window open to one that includes “/say”. And, there is a global chat where people (newbies especially) are very welcome to ask questions about the game: do “/chat join #sanctuary” in game to join that channel.

2 Likes