GPU Usage and Temperature

Game mode: Single-player
Type of issue: Performance
Server type: N/A
Region: N/A

tl;dr : Conan Exiles causes my GPU usage to hit +95 to 100%, which takes GPU temp to 80C cuaseing Computer shutdown / restart.
I’d rather not enter BIOS or do shenanigans that changes the GPU TDR point to push past 80C, even if Nvidia cards can go beyond 80C and into +90C.
This all happend recently and I have no idea why or how, I have extremely high doubts that PC Hotfix (15.11.2018) caused this, even though the Issue happend on the day the hotfix was rolled out.

Any help and or ideas is welcomed, I am still addicted to CE and it sucks that I can’t spend my weekend playing it. And would suck even more if I can’t enjoy it in December and onwards.

Context:
After 631 hours of Conan Exiles and no problems, I suddenly encountered a serious one 2 days ago which caused my computer to restart 3 times, everytime during Conan exiles.

Locating the issue:
After going through (Run / win key + R) Eventvwr.msc 's Event ID 6005,6006,6008 and 1074 to try and locate the reason for the sudden shut downs / restarts I was unable to find anything as the Shutdown Events all reported “Error - No reason for shutdown”.

It was only after 3rd restart that I realized that it was because of Conan Exiles, so I booted up MSI Afterburner and looked at CPU temperatures first, no issues.
Thats when I turned my eyes to the GPU Usage / Temperatures and to my shock and horror saw GPU 2 doing +95 to 100% and temperatures rising from stable 40-50C to 80C.
Note: this happens in less than 2 mins of connecting to the Game World and my Character.

https://i.imgur.com/ybz1yfo.png
This image shows not even 1 min worth usage / temperature, Note: this kept rising.

Also ran other games while checking Usage + Temperature but these games didn’t show any issues:
Destiny 2, Path of Exiles and Lost Ark.
Stable 40-60C

Trying to Fix:
Of course I tried everything I could think of.

1). Removing most recently installed mod. [No luck]
2). Creating new character [No luck]
3). Removing all mods + new character [No luck] (At this point I knew it was CE)
4). Changing to Fullscreen instead of Window Fullscreen [No Luck]
5). Restoring Default Video / graphic settings [Nope]

The only thing that…

Worked

Was setting graphics to Low / Low end laptop mode, but as many other Pc players, this is not a compromise I’m willing to take.
When I pick the “Auto” option in graphic settings, it sets it to “High” and that is all I’ve ever used, for the past 631 hours, and all I will ever use.

PC Specs
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (x2 SLI) - [Yes, I tried turning off SLI, didn’t help]

Installed on SSD.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Start the game.
  2. Load into the Game world.
  3. 2mins of rising temps.
  4. Computer restarts.
1 Like

Did you check you GPU coolers? Maybe they have dust that needs to be cleaned.

OP mentioned other games that don’t impact his system as severely. Probably not dust.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.