[Temp-Fix] FPS & performance issues "each second", random GPU selection ?!

Hello Support,

there are massive FPS drops and performance issues in Conan Exiles.

There are days in where the gameplay and performance is smooth and fluid with constant 50~60 fps, doesnt matter if no any players are online or if 20 players are online. Great fluid gameplay in general…

Then there are days or multiple hours in where I gain 5~20 fps only!! Unplayable, and this problem has appeared within past few days for multiple times yet … !!

I am a returner, had an ~8 months break … I never had this issue before, and which has randomly appeared for a week yet.

Whenever this performance issue happens, it also drains my laptop’s battery while being plugged, 1% each 2nd minute… So whenever this issue happens, it DAMAGES my HARDWARE … !!

When gameplay is as fluid as purposed without any issues, my battery stays at 100% as I only use AC/DC on my DELL Laptop as mentioned…

Now my guess…:

Conan Exiles doesnt select my discrete NVIDIA GPU but my integrated INTEL UHD 630 GPU “randomly” and then even sucks my battery while being wired !! <<<

I cannot say if it is a Microsoft Windows 11 23H2 related issue, a NVIDIA Drivers issue and/or an issue caused by Conan Exiles… and we know Conan Exiles is badly programmed and coded, especially if we talk about its graphics settings and features…

I have checked my NVIDIA Control Panel and everything is set correctly, to use and to force my NVIDIA GPU.

I have also checked my various Windows Settings, so the registred both ConanExiles.exe files are run via my NVIDIA Card … at least it should … !!

If I run Conan Exiles, both Intel UHD and NVIDIA GPU are running, checked via Task Manager while Conan Exiles was minimized …

And so as a test I have even disabled my UHD 630 GPU while Conan Exiles was minimized, but then Conan Exiles hadnt run on my NVIDIA, it had run on that disabled UHD Card then on a low resolution and graphics settings … I re-enabled the UHD GPU again and Conan Exiles was again running in 1080p and at my preferred set graphics settings @ 5~20 fps only which stutters “each second” …

So as a semi-proof, Conan Exiles randomly chooses between the Intel UHD and NVIDIA discrete… not straight upon launching the game which even mays, but it switches even in-game as it seems, without noticing until framerates and performance drop down to 5~20 fps …

All my drivers throughout my whole system are on stable latest…

My non-bloated minimal system setup and specs are as follows:

• Windows 11 Pro 23H2
  • i5-8300H
  • GTX 1050 Mobile
  • 2x Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL22
  • Crucial P5 Plus 1TB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 Gaming SSD
  • Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2,5 SSD
  • Latest stable drivers
  • ESET Smart Security Premium

I have added ConanExiles.exe as well as ConanExiles_BE.exe into my lists and whitelists… without a positive change…

An other issue also is, everytime I enter the Official PVE Server, I am stuck in my foundation. Though it doesnt look like I am stuck within it. I need to return to main menu and to re-enter the server, then with luck I am freed and can walk again… I think this is caused by removed trees or rocks while foundations are planted, as trees and rocks sometimes appear below and around me while entering the server, then these disappear …

Sad… really…

I am not simply afraid about my battery which is damaged by this issue mentioned above, but I am also worried about my new implemented hardware … being hurt by somewhat…

Regards,
N3

I have found a temporary fix which seems to have caused this performance loss, which even drains that much energy to consume my battery…

I have killed a Windows process called “dwm.exe” for a few times. Killing it once and even to restart my machine didnt help, so I had killed it a few more times after.

The “dwm.exe” process has stacked and occumulated KBs and MBs each second. Its regular RAM useage should be between 60 and 120 MB only!!

After killing this process a few times it sticks around 70 MB again and Conan Exiles runs flawessly again… at least at constant 50~60 fps as usually…

So it really could be a Microsoft’s fault, a bad update lately, which has added a memory leak to the “dwm.exe” process…

Maybe the Funcom Devs could find a fix to this issue.

Thanks for reading, I may await answers and…

Best Regards,
N3

Hello there again,

today I had really bad performance issues ingame inside official PVE server…

I even had to rejoin this server for about 10 times in a row until I was able to walk again. This is anything else than healthy …

I had also killed the dwm.exe process a few times until I had a semi-stable 50~60 fps. Gameplay was fine for about ~2 hours. I was traveling through Map Rooms, the last travel had caused a massive performance loss on its finest as described above… the screen was quickly flickering in a blank white color ,so I guess the GPU has been switched again …

5~20 fps, and my battery was being drained …

Fix this !!

Other players have reported ingame to fall through the map or also being stuck,and/or being disconnected. I was being disconnected too about 2 minutes later after them…

What are you guys doing in background?!

So, about 7 hours ago when I entered the official PVE server, it instantly worked like a charm. No stucks in ground, structures inta-loaded, amazing 60 fps … worked as intended…

Now after playing 6 hours in a row, from one second to the other the typical massive performance loss applied, just as explained above… Low fps 5~20 each second, draining my laptops battery …

This performance kill appeared when I had put 10 spider eggs and 10 sandreaper eggs into the composter…

No any fixes have worked to get back a stable performance and fps …

EDIT:
After starting and closing Conan Exiles for half a dozen times, as well as killing the dwm.exe process a few times, it seems to be working again with a stable performance and fps. And the eggs will also be ready in about a minute…

This performance issue, whatever is causing it, is really annoying which even hurts hardware…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.