I love Conan, but it’s not a PvP game

Another reason for my thread.

Despite what people believe, the game was not built to handle a large population of players.
20 max was already pushing it’s limits and when you have massive builds, the database has a meltdown.

2 Likes

Correct, no-one in their right mind thinks that’s a good thing.

1 Like

ARK does not have a wipe cycle and their decay rate is the same or higher and their servers are lagggggggggggggy. Rust has both wipes and a decay system and their servers are realtively lag free at all times and can handle 250 people.

You tell me which system works better. I will wait.

Never played any of those games, but I do know that even if what you’re saying is accurate, attributing it solely to wiping and/or decay is wrong. Correlation does not imply causation.

Continuing the discussion from Frequently Asked Questions about Conan Exiles:

Has nothing to do with what we believe, its what we play with. I’ve been on two servers (both using GTX Gaming servers) that could handle 70 players. Both had large PVP battles.

What I’ve experienced personally doesn’t fit your agenda or narrative.

1 Like

must admit, looking at the GTX site, it looks interesting… how they set up packages. bit more expensive that g.portal, specially with the extra boost options but… Whats the point in g.portal server if they just cant handle Conan and 40 players, the cheaper option is silly, unless you are living in accounts :stuck_out_tongue:

funcom made a mistake there, just to save some cash >< Still worry about private servers, but form the sounds of it, if funcom had better managed their options (Less servers but with GTX) players maybe have had an improved player experience

1 Like

If you have assests and things loading the server down that cannot be removed for close to 14 days after someone leaves the server, what do you think is going to happen to server load?

We should ask Funcom, they just did a test with decay timers set to 17 days. If anyone can tell us the impact is, it’s them.

Thanks for this.

the 17 day timers are more like actual 21 day timers cause once it reaches the end of the decay timer it goes into another timer before it actually decays

Funcom will say that abandon structures and thralls left before it decays out would stress the server load. I don’t need them to tell me that lol.

Ugh, obviously it will to some degree. The question is if it’s significant, and if so significant enough to go against the vast majority of your users’ preference.

Yes. I would say it is pretty significant. If you have people who come onto the server. Build a base hidden somewhere. Die once then leave the server. Which happens alot. People join, make a base and leave cause another server or whatever reason.

Just log into any offical pvp server that has about 20 people in it. Go run around the map and look at all the bases and structures that are abandoned and no one uses. The decay system takes too long to clear them out so by the time those get gone well you had about 5 new people join and do the exact same thing. Then you have to think during raid hours if someone on the other side of the world is running around farming the server is having to load in all those useless bases for those people as they run and at the same then it has to load and render in the big clan base I am raiding as it crumbles on the other side of the map. Just too much for it.

It’s either wipe or a overhauled decay system.

Or, as I read earlier the GTX servers apparently can handle 70 people on, abandoned structures and several raids and lots of people fighting at once. So either implement those mechanics to make the servers they had run smooth or upgrade to a high quality server. Which would be hard for them to do.

If they leave forever, their base will decay. Just a little later than it otherwise would’ve.

No thanks

Look, you’re just guessing. As am I. Hopefully Funcom got some useful data out of this recent “experiment” with a lengthened decay timer.

I agree that the ideal solution would be upgraded servers that could handle more people, but before we kill off whatever players are left, maybe look into whether it’s actually a problem. The server populations are in many cases WAY down. The experiences we had at the beginning of EA, or at launch, are not what we’re seeing now.

If you will not even log into a offical pvp server then be quiet about balancing issues for pvp servers.

I am not guessing, you won’t even log into to check any offical. Why should I listen to you? Why should anyone listen to you now seeing as you only care about one specific game mode and your solo base specially Funcom. You are not even ATTEMPTING to think about the game as a whole.

1 Like

Hey there team,

I agree with the original poster and topic entirely. My main problem is that ive won every encounter I’ve been in by just walking away from hits. And yes its on official servers for those wining about that. The game is absolutely awesome, but we could use, say, a jump attack to close ground on enemies! Just something to FORCE you to dodge, rather than just walk and preserve stamina.

I was in a 1 hour battle with someone who also knew this trick lol, i had to get sneaky and BUILD HIM INTO A CORNER! Kinda lame, yes, but i won. Not very immersive, very clunky, and and exploit of many of the mechanics.

So, making combat a little more complex, only as complex as the souls/bloodbourne gameplay, and giving a tactical way to close on enemies with a sacrifice of stamina, rather than walking around like a drunk in combat building walls, would be cool.

1 Like

You could run, throw orbs, arrows, throwing axes and javelins. And with the new arrow changes, you will be able to shoot tar arrows to slow enemies down. And then all of the weapons have a combo chain that can be stringed together. The one handed sword and daggers light combo is a great ground closer for example.

I’ve used both. Gportal has an easier to use GUI. But GTX has some pretty nifty features. One of which the server owner setup a script to check for mod updates, if it finds one it alerts the server that it will be restarted in 5 min, updates the mods that needs it after shutting down and restarts. If it doesn’t find one, it does nothing.

GTX is worth the little extra IMO.

1 Like

@Mango I totally get what your saying, except those moves only work in theory. I’ve fought bot with and agaonst the short swords, axe, javelin, the whole nine yards. You can always just scoot on by like you’re walking in the park. Also another crazy exploit is that if you can trap someone where they ave to climb, gas orbs are their demise. Or the cold (also a way ive won battles with people twice my level).

And when you have a jerk like me trapping you with sandstone so i can gass you, the pvp sucks. And when you ARE me and the only way you can land a hit on a good player is by pulling shenanigans, the pvp sucks.

I get mechanics are there for ranged attacks. DONT tell me they work though.

1 Like