Ideas to improve the upcoming Thrall feeding system

Just the act of forcing us to feed them is going to decimate base thrall populations. Adding in more restrictions would just be pointless.

1 Like

A human being can go about three weeks without food before perishing. After about three days without food, a person’s body will be in full starvation mode. Their energy level will be a fraction of what it was when they were eating. I suggest a two or three week timer on thralls, where after a day of not eating their health bar starts going down until it gets to 0 ( after 2-3 weeks). Maybe after three days of not eating they stop attacking anything and take on a passive, or even “unconscious” state until they are fed again.

2 Likes

That’s why our thralls haven’t been attacking! They’ve been hungry for so long!

5 Likes

The NPC injured stance already looks like they are dying of hunger.

Enyo - I think the idea of thrall feeding is to wipe out huge or inactive populations of thralls eating server resources.

The idea of food gathering thralls is to make a number of thralls self sufficient. There must be some restrictions or we are right back at the start with the huge populations. It could work to let a server admin set what those restrictions are which would determine how many thralls can be kept at a base with no additional food from players.

I use to think all the settler from Fallout 4 are you useless until this feeding your thrall idea came up, Now I realize how ignorant of me to look down on them.

Look, I know thrall could work at the workstation to produce cheaper material, crafting high tier equipment and smelting material faster, but at least the SETTLER CAN HELP SEARCH FOR RESOURCE AND HELP FARM FOR FOOD WHILE WE GO OUTSIDE BUST SOME ENEMY AND HAVE FUN ADVENTURING WITHOUT FEEDING THEM.

Yes, they have stated that the primary reason for feeding is to “nuke them from the sky”, with a lesser objective of limiting the amount of thralls for server resources. My concern is that this won’t make a dent in terms of optimization. At launch they nuked half of all animal and thrall spawns in the name of “optimization”, so I’m pretty sure this effort is in vain.

The only thing that will optimize server performance is changing the way building blocks are read by the server. When you come into range of a building it is loading up the skin, hp, owner and decay timer of every single building block in sight. This creates far more server load than a few dumb AI’s.

1 Like

I might be completely wrong, but my gut feeling is also telling me that thralls, even many, standing idle is not eating much server resources. They are also only activated(also due to a poor attempt to improve performance) when a player comes in range, and when activated they still stand there idle. I sure hope that the main reason for the feeding is not this but simply a convenient collateral from the cheap and lazy option of reusing the broken thrall mechanism to build the pets on, making the pets and thralls both useless and unhealthy tight together, hence they also require food. I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

That was what I had concluded as well. You can’t use the same system for 2 separate ‘followers’ and only have 1 of them require life sustaining resources. Therefore, Thrall feeding became mandated because of the pets. They are boasting about it “Nuking them from the sky” because it was a convenient side effect that they could find no other easy solution for.

Food gathering thralls need to be assigned to a station, like a stove or campfire that they return to in order to automatically feed the other thralls
 (Such as a Stove, or drying racks or food storage bin
 Once the food storage bin decays another player will take them away leaving any thralls dependent on them for food to starve.)

I would not trust the AI to gather for me.
On a PVP server they could easily be killed by other players.
Even on PvE and PvE-C your thralls can be killed by NPCs 
 someone pulling a boss on top of them or in a purge.
The AI pathing is problematic and I can’t envision that they could fix this for a gathering thrall 
so they are likely to get stuck somewhere and never return to the feeding station

and it would bring the opportunity to further grief people 
want their entire thrall army to die: watch for their gathering thralls and the box them in with a building as NPCs cant climb. And/or strip the resources around where the thrall is gathering so it has to continue to path further and further away

Quite frankly I can not see that Funcom would make a hunting thrall that is capable of taking down the animals that provide exotic meat 
 that would make them more powerful than all our other thralls and more powerful than players when they are low levels.

I don’t think anyone expects Funcom to actually code thralls hunting fishing or gathering. I would consider it a bonus just seeing them running around in the wild.

The thralls would probably begin walking away from the base and just disappear after getting far enough from the players. Food income would be based on the area, thrall level and equipment.

It could be fun to have rare events where you have to reclaim your thrall from an enemy.

I’ve actually had similar thoughts about this.

My opinion on it is, we need more thrall types to gather basic resources for us BEFORE thrall feeding gets implemented. If there was a way to keep our thralls fed automatically via other thralls then it would be far more manageable and immersive than having to do it all ourselves.

If we can’t automate our thralls to get food for themselves, I just see it as an immersion breaking chore (I have to personally collect food for my SLAVES? Excuse me?!). It is silly, and tedious.

Something like a new station (gatherer’s hut, fisher’s hut, whatever) could work, we do not need to physically have thralls out in the world doing the tasks. It would be enough to simply put the thralls in the station and have it generate food (and transport it to a food pot in range).

I figure the “Auto gathering” thralls would be more of a sort of crafter that automatically generate food while sitting in the appropriate crafting station

Something like a beekeeper
 (That automatically generates all the bees you need without having to go out and constantly gather more bees
)

1 Like

THIS makes perfect sense. IF they insist on adding a feeding system, then the thralls should be able to go fend out of the food sources we already have for themselves. I’m not oppsed to capping the # of thalls, but this seems a bit over the top. I big member guild will have little issue keeping up, but a small grp of players wont be able to do squat but gather food, cook and feed these things if you have say 10 of each type, archers and fighters. I do however wonder, will we also have to feed the crafting thralls?

The feeding system is to limit the number of thralls a player can have/manage the problem with the feeding is everyone will always try to hit the max posable they can have and then get frustrated they keep having thralls die on them (possibly causing the loss of T4 thralls and rage quitting) This is what I think the feeding system should be to help limit the number of thralls and the decay problem their having now.

Why not just tether 20-25 thralls to food bowls (food bowls have decay timers) only allow food bowls to be placed within a certain range of one another the range will limit the number of thralls you have and if food bowls decay the thralls" run away".

Only allow 20-25 thralls to be placed in the radius of the food bowls. Food bowls would NOT need to be filled with food because you’re not just limiting the number of thralls but also removing them if the food bowl decays.
Food bowls with a cook T3-T4 could hold more thralls in the radius.
No cook=5 thralls, T1=10 thralls, T2=15 thralls, T3=20 thralls, T4=25 thralls.
Same mechanics for the pets with pet feed troughs (or the pet pens themselves) but pet through and food bowls can overlap each other. The pet could be manned by an animal handler thrall.

Food placed in the food bowl and the through could be to help Health regeneration and the better food the faster healing the NPC gets.
AND make the purge specifically target food bowls and animal feed boxes.

I think that the thralls should just want meat, any type of meat. Dried, roasted, savory, exotic, whatever. Then you can just feed them dried meat which is what field rations would be mostly made of. Maybe make a new type food called field rations and it takes savory flesh and bread. Can have a long rot timer.

I was also thinking, only be able to make one thrall pot but have the radius be as big as a god shield. This change is trying to reduce the amount of unused thralls in several bases scattered all over the map. They are trying to make your main your main. Not just one of several buildings. You can have several buildings but the one you operate your thralls out of would be your main. And then if you got raided they could destroy your thrall pot.

Doesn’t dried meat only give 1 hunger tough?

The new hunger system on thralls and pets has the same system as players. So giving them dried meat will only increase it by 1 from 100.

I was just giving examples of meat related food. I think the food should only just be one of the meat related food. Or I mentioned on another thread, make a new type of food called field rations made out of dried meat and bread and have it last a long time and sate a decent amount of hunger.

That would be incredibly nice of them, which is why I highly doubt it haha.

Hey man, this is what the suggestion forum is about. Just toss out ideas. Plus it makes sense to have them eat field rations, right? I mean they are your soldiers after all.