Miss crossbows and crossbow thralls

One with metal arms is specifically an arbalast, which was the most powerful variant of handheld crossbow. Their power was absolutely higher than modern crossbows, by at least four times.

It doesn’t actually matter though. Most crossbows have far more power than bows, which make them stronger at short range, but their bolts all lose their power at a significantly faster rate.

As soon as the projectile leaves the string, it starts losing speed, and the mass of the projectile determines how quickly that happens. Arrows have higher mass and so lose their speed slower, giving them better range even when the draw weight is a fraction that of a crossbow, or especially an arbalest.

An arbalest had the power to punch a bolt through plate armor at close range, but warbows had twice the range of an arbalest.

They were used for castle defense not long range battle they only needed to penetrate armor hince the power they had. Even though they were handheld they were still a good defense

Ok, then you are agreeing with me. I thought you were trying to say that crossbows were long-range weapons because they had more power.

The bows were aimed more upwards to get the arrows over the shield walls. The palasades we’re used not to prevent climbing but to stop horses

Yes I am I spent my free time watching documentaries

I meant spend

The only problem was the reload times

There were two types of archers in the medieval ages long range and short range long range archers had the regular bows and the short range archers had crossbows they were used both to defend the castle and first attack in battle sword and shield in the front line archers in the back

But it would be great if crossbows we’re still in the game