More realistic drying mechanics

I think that it’s strange that dryers consume bark. In real world they just let the stuff be dried in sun. So for meat/fish/berries it should consume salt (used for making Hams in Italy, Spain, etc).|
For wood - maybe it should just need time, w/o any additional stuff.

For bark consumption - there could be new workstation - SMOKERY - where you make smoked meat :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont remember sun drying being a thing… outside a few foods like grapes and stuff. Meat? ewwww…

Bark/wood (depending on tree) smokes, I find it more weird we dry it in open rack… But I like look of dry rack honestly compared to another box in my house. XD

1 Like

Yeah they sun dry meat. Thin strips hanging from tree limbs in a survival situation. It makes the meat last longer before spoiling. Like beef jerky but with the flies. I think it’s called biltong in some places.

2 Likes

I think it’s strange that players respawn. In real world they would just stay dead. So you would have to play a new Exile everytime you die.

2 Likes

It’s not that weird. It’s how smoked meat was done before somebody figured out putting it in a box works better.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that is how Indians dried their meat forever, in fact pretty sure they still do some of them.

2 Likes

You are correct @sestus2009 Biltong is what we call it here in South Africa. It’s not really sundried…more wind dried. We hang the meat on wires in either a dryer (box with fans) or in someone’s garage with a net to keep the flies out. This only happens after the meat has been spiced and treated with all sorts of salts and herbs which further protects it from spoiling etc. and gives the meat it’s unique taste.

@Sera67 If you ever get the chance to visit my sunny country of South Africa, please try some! It is a national delicacy and is enjoyed year round with almost every event imaginable…mostly rugby watching and braaing(South African BBQ). :rofl:

:metal: :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

My wife and I watch a reality show called naked and afraid. There’s a episode in African desert area where they where hanging the meat in a Acacia tree or Bush with long thorns. Dried spiced and salted meat was the way to go without refrigeration.

1 Like

Sounds like it would taste good.

2 Likes

Yup, one of my SA co-workers makes it exactly that way, and it is the best dried meat in the universe. Just my opinion. Key characteristic seems to be the fan and dry, hot air.

:expressionless: Now I’m hungry.

4 Likes

I’ll have to ask some of family up north. (wisconsin) They do whole farm life, and watch for wolves and other things. I’ve only ever really seen them smoke via box, or salt meat.

My Aunt use to make raisins.

(mostly same for old movies, always seem to use a box) I think back home in Japan, I know there air drying… its not out in open… cause bugs. XD

I’m pretty sure my mexican side of family would say same thing about air drying, its common. =p And I should get out more. lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.