New map expectations

If it’s a new area, outside of the exiled lands, will we still be exiles?

1 Like

“think” is not same as “want” =3

Alot of people want some form of water use. (i’d kill for log canoe) or small little 1 sail boat to put chest on aand go about rivers and loot, poking crocs in eye…fishing. Going about my day. XD

Will engine handle any of this… No… but we can want it =3

5 Likes

I’m happy to see a new map but not a paid dlc. Funcom promised the only paid dlc’s would be cosmetic and I’m going to give an argument (other than that they should just keep their word) as to why that’s a bad idea.

The first reason is the economy right now. You’re going to have a substantial (I wouldn’t say half but it might be up to a third) of current players are not going to be able to afford dlc content. You can divide and destroy clans this way; it’s not a good idea. Populations have been up but still not above 15k at peak that I’ve seen. Add a paid dlc map and everyone will want to play it, but you will see overall peak users drop until the economy comes out of the crapper. Some servers are ghost townish enough as it is.

The second reason would be a simple one: keep your promises if you make them. Nothing turns gamers off like a corporation that appears to be pulling a fast one on their userbase. There’s nothing wrong with a company trying to earn revenue, but there are a lot of other options to earn that revenue.

That brings me to point number three and the path I’d like to see funcom take here: small cosmetic paid dlc’s. Even poor people might be tempted by a small 3 to 4 dollar dlc that just included extra placeables. These might only have to include 50 or 60 items and still be very, very appealing to the current userbase. The ornate pottery dlc, the dyed vine decor dlc, the extravagant hair configuration dlc, The Set Purple eyed dlc, the tribal ornate canoe pack, the expanded warpaint dlc, the body tatoo dlc, etc, etc. Before you say hey, too much money from the art dept, ask yourself, 12k users x 3 dollars a pop is worth how many hours worth of art? Some of this stuff would be extremely easy to put in. This could be trialed on the easiest cosmetic thing to produce, artwise to see how profitable it would be.

Something to think about.

1 Like

Oh god, not this again.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this referenced multiple times (particularly in response to the map dlc) but I haven’t been able to find where it originated. I don’t suppose you could point me to the location of that promise? I am rather curious to see it for myself, much appreciated.

And Funcom is immune to this how?
The devs need to get paid. IF they don’t make money, then no devs. Then Karen from accounting is fixing bugs. We don’t want Karen fixing bugs.

I will not go down the “they promised this that” rabbit hole again.

2 Likes

I addressed that in my post. Aint nothing wrong with getting paid. As far as my post goes, if you’d read it you’d see there was a path in there that would allow them to get paid sooner, without charging everyone for a new map.

As far as the post goes I didn’t hear any rebuttal. My argument still stands re: server populations. I myself cannot locate the origin of the promise but I remember it, from years ago.

This was the closest that I could find, unless a new map was discussed during EA then the current plans don’t break that particular promise. It’s possible that the other promise exists somewhere but I’m starting to think that people have simply forgotten the specifics of the above promise over the course of time.

3 Likes

@Herring I feel like your post isn’t really inline with the intent of this thread. A lot of what you said has been argued elsewhere so I will not address it here. But, it is noted. Your expectation for the map is that it should be free for the reasons you stated.

For me, I would like this new map to be much bigger than the current one, with diverse Biomes including an actual forest or Jungle. Less desert for sure, in fact I would be okay with little to no desert. I would also like to see more diversity on animal/npc spawns. Where they aren’t fixed but rather have a range over which you can find them (similar to the Dino’s in Ark).

A lot of people have mentioned water biomes and while this would be cool, it seems unlikely to me based on what the devs have said about water mechanics in game. If crocodiles can’t swim it’s hard to believe they will make a water map. Not opposed to it though.

Good find.
There was a reference during season 1 I believe about all upcoming dungeon updates will be free content. Many just used the word upcoming to mean from here on out, where in the context (I am not gonint track it down, been done to many times) of the entire statement meant the already anounced Dungeons (non names, but the number of new dungeons). there is actually a comment in the after stream QandA where it is said any new maps would not be free. But that is all forgotten to fulfill but they promised side of people wanting a free map.

And reality, all Funcom has to do is stop calling it an expansion map, and call it a DLC map. Then it falls in the DLC’s being paid content.

3 Likes

I just realised that I forgot to add my expectations or Hope’s for the new map (I got distracted). I like a lot of the ideas that have already been posted, but for me there is one thing that CE has been missing: dynamic weather and environmental hazards. My hope is that the new map will have unpredictable weather so that you can’t just dress for the biome you’re in or going to. The possibility of fog rolling in and reducing visibility or a hailstorm hammering your skin forcing you to shield your eyes, stuff like that would be interesting.

1 Like

I am not doing this again. Entitlement statements will not suck the little faith I have left in this community out of me.

2 Likes

Dear Herring,

welcome to the forums. I would like to address a few points regarding your post.

First of all, despite many attempts to prove otherwise, Funcom has not promised that all future DLCs would be cosmetic only. The closest thing to a reference to a source I’ve seen is a community letter, written by a member of the Community Management (so not one who is in any position to make promises on behalf of the company), describing (and building up hype) for the future releases they had planned at the time of writing the community letter. It was not a contract binding them till the end of time. If you accuse them of breaking their promise, you better have evidence to back your claims, or you might be guilty of slander.

Secondly, clans can freely choose whether to keep playing on the old map, especially if some members can’t afford to buy the new map at the day of release. A healthy, tight-knit community will prioritize friendships over new shinies. The better-off members might even gift the map expansion to their clanmates - it’s not like it’s going to cost the price of a Cadillac. Heck, I promise to buy the map expansion to the first person whose clan would leave them behind because they can’t afford the map expansion.

Third, yeah, dirt-cheap expansions would be appealing to the customers. However, they’re not necessarily cost-effective to make. Creating the graphic assets is only one part of putting them into the game. The item databases need to be updated, the items’ interaction with the rest of the world (such as snapping and other connection points, and in case of anything with cloth or other moving parts, interaction with the game physics engine too) need to be coded in, etc.

4 Likes

For the expansion of the map of the world, I would like large areas of grass with shrubs, flowers, herbs, mushrooms, broken through by forests. Not as rough as the highlands, rather Mediterranean. Fruit trees, fruit bushes and fruit plants would be something I have been missing for a long time. Foxes, wild sheep, cows, wild horses, pheasants or ducks. Deep lakes with fish. Ruins and waterfalls with watercourses.

2 Likes

I would love to see some fruit trees. My only big environmental hope would be temperature shifts between day & night. For instance: deserts are blisteringly hot during the day, and get freezing cold at night. Caves are also typically significantly cooler than the area around their entrance.

2 Likes

I expect the map to be north of the frost giants. there is already a tablet there, warning not to go further north because it is dangerous. however you cant go north anymore cause u just hit green wall. Plus all the endgame armors they came out with (champion, aesir, godbreaker) have all been cold armors

Things change. For example, they said they wouldn’t do another map :wink:

Case in point, I’m not saying Funcom should try to be more like Ark or anything (lord knows that game’s got its share of issues) but imagine exploring and building in a jungle like this in Conan Exiles:

1 Like

If you listen to the forumers’ opinion, the devs never did anything anyway, so Karen from accounting may be the saving grace to us all. Funcom’s Joan of Arc. Or Batman.

Just remember how many times you’ve seen a forumite say something like “it’s a trivial matter to fix this” or “it’s really simple”. I’m sure Karen from accounting will do just fine. Believe in Karen.

(Now I hope they actually have a Karen in their accounting department.)

4 Likes

I prefer the term “Forum-American,” myself.

1 Like