I am relatively new having been brought into the game by the “Free” PS4 offer.
I liked the game enough that I decided to invest some time and money into the game, BUT I had enough reservations to only buy the first DLC.
FYI: I only play Single player on the PS4 as I do not like PVP, and hate griefing ( for reference I loved RDR single player and disliked RDR online due to griefing)
I now find myself at a crossroads with the game.
On the one hand I really like the base building and the world in general, HOWEVER the stability issues on the PS4 causing ongoing crashes, and some other “quality of life issues” are making me question whether or not I want to invest additional hours (and money).
I have always felt that a game needed 2 things to thrive.
- be fun and have content that engages the players (CE does this very well).
- respect the players and their time (this is where I have a problem).
Currently the game does a great job in alot of areas, where it does not is with the PS4 stability and the mechanic that has a thrall disappear after a crash if you do not get back to the location soon enough or the last “guard” location. Simply put it is possible to forget there your thrall was last put into “guard” and to lose your thrall and all it was carrying simply due to a crash.
I have no problem losing thralls and equipment when I die in game (that is part of the game after all), however to lose dozens of hours of work simply due to the fact that the game is unstable and has a player unfriendly mechanic is not something I am willing to accept without complaint.
I strongly suggest the dev team allow players to set a “home base” for thralls to return to if DC’d or at least have the thralls return to the nearest bed/bedroll.
Any way here are some other changes I would like to suggest:
- Fix PS4 stability
- Allow players to designate "home base " for thralls/pets, or have them return to the nearest bed/bedroll in the event of a crash or other non player controllable event (no issues losing thralls & materials if you legit die in game)
- Please make some adjustment to the controls setting page, as the changes you make are not saved after log off, and it is very time consuming (due to the slow rate of adjustment,) to make the change everytime you log in.
- change the scroll speed based on quantity, perhaps one speed for stacks under 100, and another for stacks greater than 100. (I know we can split a stack, but that is not always possible due to space limitations).
- as you deplete your waterskin it should begin to weigh less like every other item in the inventory
- make the controls consistent or allow the players to save them in settings (see #3 above). Sometime loot is “X” sometimes it is “R2”, please choose one or allow the player to make a custom controls that saves after log off.
- Fix the building system to not require you to log off and log back in just to placea foundation or other piece in a spot. Many times while base building I end up with spots where the game will not allow me to put a piece (for no reason), only to allow me to put it in place after I log off and then on.
- I currently experience NPC’s disappearing after I kill them, denying me the loot that was earned by killing them, very discouraging.
- Physics! at present I can launch a mammoth 50 to 75 yards (estimated), while skinning. Mostly this in inconvenient, but on occasion it end up falling off a cliff or aggroing something 20 yard away.
- Aggro and animal density. In general I thought it was pretty good, however now that I am in the North (or perhaps it was a result of the last patch), it seems everything aggros you at 3 to 5 times the distance other NPC creatures do. It is frustrating to see a sabretooth run past a mammoth and several deer to attack me, and then to have the mammoth run in behind to attack me as well, which then seems to draw in a wolf 50 yards away and perhaps also an elk. Basically if the animals are going to aggro at that distance they should not ignore other creatures that are closer than the player. Nor should they join in to attack the player if they are obvious competitors/prey.
Anyway, I want to conclude that (note I am only speaking about single player as that is all I do) I like the game in general, however I am continually frustrated not by the game but by the instability and inconsistency of certain items in game that I think should be a relatively easy fix.
I would like to keep investing time, effort and money in the game as I like most of it, but need to be assured that my (and other players’) time is respected.