Newbie Qs for helpful barbarians

TLDR: Please don’t feel obliged to answer all the questions, any response/advice is appreciated.

Hi,

I’m new to CE, just bought it & haven’t even started playing. After looking into the game, I still have some questions I couldn’t find clear answers to, so I’m hoping some friendly barbarians will help me out. (Btw, I’m completely new to survival games and have zero experience with MMOs so bear with me if my questions seem stupid.)

I just want to play single player for now, at least until I learn the game well enough to know if I like it and consider giving multiplayer a go.

1. What are the differences between single player (local) and PVE in this game, do purges still occur in local single player?

2. Am I safe in assuming that decay (food, buildings, and now thrall hunger) doesn’t apply in single player (local) when not in-game, like it apparently does on servers?

3. How long do new features usually get tested on TestLive before being implemented into the game? (I’m wondering if I should wait a week and start playing next weekend since there’s a big patch on the way that changes stuff.)

My impression of the game from my customer research is that it’s pretty damn buggy and that the devs are still adding/changing features even though it’s nominally out of early access, so I’m trying to figure out where this game is at in terms of development. With certain game development practices these days it’s hard to know exactly what I’ve just bought lol.

1. Is there a development roadmap available?

2. How good are the devs about keeping on top of bugs?

3. I’ve read quite a few comments about the game being too easy, with the survival aspect being trivial. Have the devs given any indication they are going to work on the enemy AI and making the game more appropriately challenging for a survival game?

4. Are there any expansions planned, content or features expected/missing? (e.g. I’ve read people talking about a magic system, mounts and some thrall city life system, though I understand there’s a difference between an intended feature and those that are just being considered/explored.)

5. Would any CE veteran care to briefly summarise the history of development so far since coming to early access (I’d prefer not to read the entire patch archive, it’s pretty epic). Even just your perspective on how the game has progressed, where it’s at and where it’s likely to go would be helpful.

My thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer any of my questions or respond in any way. I know it’s a bit of a wall of text. Cheers, it’s appreciated :smiley:

1. What are the differences between single player (local) and PVE in this game, do purges still occur in local single player?

1.A Other than the fact that on a PVE server you play with other people, there is not really any difference. There wont be any internet based lag on single player though due to the fact that it runs locally on your machine and has no server to communicate with. Purges can still occur in local / single player but you may have to trigger them yourself with the admin panel, Purges triggering in general is kind of buggy at the moment.

1. Am I safe in assuming that decay (food, buildings, and now thrall hunger) doesn’t apply in single player (local) when not in-game, like it apparently does on servers?

2.A That is correct. Nothing decays in single player while you are logged off.

1. How long do new features usually get tested on TestLive before being implemented into the game? (I’m wondering if I should wait a week and start playing next weekend since there’s a big patch on the way that changes stuff.)

3.A not 100% sure on this one, my guess is about a week or so and it may not be the same every time depending on what they are testing.

1. Is there a development roadmap available?

4.A Yes and no, its not so much a development roadmap but there is a mega post about bugs the dev team is aware as well as popular community suggestions, along with the status of those bugs and suggestions (On back burner, scrapped, implemented, in progress, being discussed etc)

1. How good are the devs about keeping on top of bugs?

5A. Fairly decent. They are definitely at least aware of bugs and do a good job over all in communicating with the community on those issues, however actually fixing the bugs may take a while depending on what the bug is.

1. I’ve read quite a few comments about the game being too easy, with the survival aspect being trivial. Have the devs given any indication they are going to work on the enemy AI and making the game more appropriately challenging for a survival game?

6A. As a new player with little to no experience, you may find the survival aspect of the game challenging at first, especially if you have never played a survival game before. Once you log around 200 hours into the game things start to really not be an issue anymore as you start to learn how to handle certain enemies, weather conditions, status ailments, durability issues, etc.

1. Are there any expansions planned, content or features expected/missing? (e.g. I’ve read people talking about a magic system, mounts and some thrall city life system, though I understand there’s a difference between an intended feature and those that are just being considered/explored.)

7A. I’ve heard the same about a magic system and mounts, however the only thing confirmed is pets, not mounts. And I think that’s more a DLC than a full blown expansion.

1. Would any CE veteran care to briefly summarise the history of development so far since coming to early access (I’d prefer not to read the entire patch archive, it’s pretty epic). Even just your perspective on how the game has progressed, where it’s at and where it’s likely to go would be helpful.

8A. I was not in the early access but ill put down what ive seen so far and what ive heard from people who were in the early access. Gods used to be very powerful and rightfully feared, but they have been nerfed to the point of being border line useless. AI use to be awful, it is not better but has a ways to go, for example wolves now hunt like pack animals and will swarm you if there is more than 1 wolf. Previously you would be able to fight one at a time.

1 Like

Thanks Makior, that’s super helpful.

Having to trigger purges yourself is really lame, hopefully that’ll be fixed by the time I’ve progressed enough for them to occur. I really hope the dev team takes CE to the polished state it deserves and the current bugginess doesn’t sink it too early - it’s a great concept… surviving in a barbaric world and building an epic fortress/town with an army of enslaved npcs to fight off all enemies and raids. Really cool and so much potential to do cool stuff with expansions. It’s the sort of game that inspires so many, ‘wouldn’t it be awesome if you could do x, or adding y would be so great’ ideas. Well, I suppose every game is like that to some degree but imo CE has tons of potential.

I’ll add that I just read someone on the steam forums (who was participating in TestLive) mentioning that the latest pet/thrall stuff will be on there for about a month (I assume according to their personal experience).

So I guess I’ll just jump in whenever.

Really curious about what plans the devs may have for the game…

I wish games would make details like that explicit in-game (manual/codex). Thanks for the pro-tip.

Yeah games are usually more difficult at the start. I also got the impression about a lack of difficulty watching a stream. The guy wasn’t exactly an elite player or anything and was derping around a bit, but was able to avoid all the wildlife super easy in the beginning. It didn’t seem particularly dangerous to go about your business. And apparently crocodiles can’t attack in water & spiders can’t climb?

I’m not too worried though, I was more just interested in knowing what aspects of the game the devs have been/are committed to improving, or if this is as good as it will likely get.

Yeah, I get it’s primarily a multiplayer game, and how much love it gets from the devs will depend on its commercial viability. When I was checking it out I obviously determined there was plenty of fun to be had for me already, yet I can’t help but wonder about what else may be in store for the game. I hope it gets at least one expansion which brings some cool stuff. Oh well, it’s in the fate of the gods eh.

Just wanted to add (for anyone interested in the answers to my questions about the future of the game) I came across a really informative thread on Steam… https://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/1735462352459854381/

Apparently, both mounts and magic were considered at one point (mounts were even worked on) but both were determined unfeasible. Seems like the major thing to hope for is to expand/refine the thrall and npc system(s), especially considering how thralls need polish badly already.

Thanks to those that responded to my Qs, I think I’ve got a basic handle on things now :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.