Numerous Thrall and Combat Bugs (Unresolved)

Game mode: Online private/Single-player
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: US (private)

BUG 1: First person view doesn’t line up with character model properly, and you can look down into character model. This usually ends up preventing player from hitting small or short targets, like spiders or crocodiles. (Intermittent)

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Start new game or load existing game.
  2. Press first person mode.
  3. Look down.
  4. Reload game until it happens. It’s frequent.

BUG 2: Thrall AI doesn’t attack enemies that are aggro’d on player, even when a) the player has attacked and hit the NPC enemy, b) the NPC enemy has attacked and hit the player, or c) the NPC enemy has attacked and hit the Thrall. They just stand there and do nothing or will chase the NPC enemy around with weapons but won’t actually attack. (intermittent)

Addendum: Seems to be related to equipping a truncheon. Sometimes they attack, sometimes they don’t. I have, however, seen the thralls equipped with other weapons exhibit the same behavior.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Get into a fight with a Thrall companion with you (mainly with melee types).
  2. If the Thrall actually attacks, reload the game.
  3. Eventually you’ll get a load when the Thrall AI is busted. It’s pretty frequent.

BUG 3: NPCs will sometimes fall through the world once knocked out. To be fair, this happened once, but I’ve had friends report having similar experience.

1. Knock out an NPC AI enemy.
  2. Rarely they will collapse and then fall through the ground.

BUG 4: DUPE

BUG 5: NPCs enemies will attack “short” enemies but will not be able to actually hit them. I watched a shaleback aggro’d on a crocodile try to attack the crocodile for literally an hour. Because the shaleback was not actually hitting the crocodile, the crocodile merely wandered around, without being aggro’d on the shaleback. I’m not certain if this is a bug with hit resolution, the hit boxes not loading properly (which also seems to be a common bug), or something else entirely.

1. Either spawn a shaleback and a crocodile or wait for a naturally spawned shaleback to path near a naturally spawned crocodile. They should aggro on each other, but they usually don’t (but this is a separate bug).
  2. Watch as the shaleback fails to hit the crocodile.

BUG 6: Thrall archers repeatedly aim below shaleback model, ending up firing at the ground between the shaleback’s legs rather than at the shaleback.

1. Take one Thrall Archer, aggro’d on one shaleback nearby. Archer should be four or five blocks up, firing down at the shaleback.
  2. Watch as the archer fails to hit shaleback.

BUG 7: Thralls will path out of a base to fight enemies, then fail to path back to their guard locations.

1. Take one Thrall Fighter inside a base, with at least one door more than 10 blocks away from place where the mob is, so that the Thrall has to path away from the mob, through the door, then back toward the mob.
  2. Watch as the Thrall Fighter (maybe others) will path back toward the wall of the base… but stop, because they don’t know how to get back to their original guarding positions.

BUG 8: Sometimes dual knives animation will cause player model to get stuck in mob model. It’s happened to me twice with shalebacks and once with a human NPC enemy. (Intermittent: rare)

1. Equip dual knives (stone knives work).
  2. Target a shaleback (worst offender).
  3. Attack enough shalebacks that, eventually, you’ll get stuck.

BUG 9: Killed vultures fall through the world mesh and are unlootable. Has happened with every vulture I’ve killed. It’s only the ground that it falls through. Their corpse will slide down the side of the cliff properly (except for the busted model physics). (May be related to Bug #3)

1. Equip a bow and arrow.
  2. Find a vulture perched somewhere.
  3. Shoot the vulture.
  4. Watch it tumble from its perch in a bizarre broken mess of busted physics and disappear through the ground.

BUG 10: Block button does not work consistently. Even when the character is not stunned and enemy is recovering. The block button simply doesn’t work consistently.

1. Get into combat.
  2. Press block button expecting your character to block.
  3. Be repeatedly disappointed.

Good luck.

Hi @fistfulofzen. That’s some extensive shaleback experience. While your report is well structured and provides quite some information you may want to familiarize yourself with the following for your future reports:

1 Like

Bug #2 happens to me several times a day. its honestly a game breaking bug to me. Ive been playing conan for about a week and the thralls not attacking its making me want to quit the game.

Thank you for the response. I get that this post doesn’t perfectly conform to the rules, and I do sympathize with the need to have these rules, but I’m about ready to quit playing the game at this point in frustration. I’m frustrated because many of the prior bug reports detailing these bugs are no longer open for reply but the issues are conspicuously not resolved (more than a year after release), and yet there is no update on the progress of the resolution of these issues.

This bug report, like all bug reports, is a plea for the developers to fix the game. Please. I suspect that I know what the game is supposed to play like, but I can’t be sure, because it seems that very little in the game actually works as intended, or, at least, I hope that this isn’t how the game was supposed to work, because things break from game load to game load.

Right now, I feel like I wasted $30, and I’m beginning to think that there isn’t any real will or intent to fix these bugs. This game is so close to being great, but it’s held back by these fun sucking bugs, which have been reported, sometimes repeatedly, but the posts detailing those bugs are closed to reply, and haven’t been updated in months. There’s no way for the community to interact with those posts, and there is no information on the status of these bugs.

Again, the game has had its 1 year anniversary. It’s still in a state little better than mid to even early Beta. If I’d known it was in this state, I wouldn’t have bought it. Unfortunately, thanks to Steam’s return policy, I’m probably stuck with it, so I’m trying to do the next best thing and trying to get it fixed. What do I need to do to help get this game that I paid for, that was represented as a “complete and market ready game” actually in the state of a “complete and market ready game”?

Thank you again for the reply, and I do hope you (and anyone reading this) have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Came across another bug. Unconscious NPC bodies despawn simply by being obscured from vision. I was dragging two unconscious NPCs back to my base. Dragged one body over a hill, then went back for the other one… it was gone… then went back to the other unconscious NPC, and it, too, was gone. Sadly, I think this is designed to be this way. Exactly why is this a mechanic? Why is line of sight the mechanic, rather than distance? Frustrating…

Another bug. Vulture bodies fall through the world.

With respect, and I do mean this, I do appreciate your quick and timely response… but I’m not going to babysit a dozen forum posts just so they don’t time out on your bug forum. If you really want me to do that, I will give you my address so you can send me a check. Otherwise, this is how I choose to present the bugs. Thanks.

If you like. But it’s the “if I have time” thing that gets me. If I have time, I prefer to be doing other things than bookkeeping for free.

1 Like

@fistfulofzen, I am truly sorry for your frustration, some of the things you mentioned get to me, too, but workarounds and helpful posts here let me continue to enjoy the game. I must admit to being quite patient if the benefits outweigh the detriments.

I do, however, disagree with your posting in clear (not ‘perfectly’, as you describe it) conformance to the guidelines. Since this is your first post, I am chalking that up to unfamiliarity.

Unfortunately, your posts come across as a rant, rather than an attempt to make the game better, and as such will likely fall on deaf ears. One of the bugs you mention did evoke a response by @Romelio and others may have wanted to chime in also. Had you separated the issues, you may have gotten more reponses, leading to a trend and perhaps ending up on the dev’s radar (it already is, actually). More of your issues may have done the same, but we will never know, eh?

So, you get to ask the same question, do the benefits outweigh the detriments? If not, I think you are correct about Steam’s return policy. If only some of the lessons I’ve learned only cost me $30, I would be rich.

I hope you decide to stick with it, but it is a personal decision.

Here’s hoping you have a great day !

Regards

jim

1 Like

I get you, but whether or not it’s a rant, the fact that posts expires after 7 days prevents community feedback. I’m really not a fan of that, and it looks like that’s part of why these problems are still, after over a full year after release, unresolved. The game is in a state that used to be considered “beta”. I find that unacceptable. It’s not being marketed as a “beta”, and I certainly wouldn’t have bought this game had I known the state it was in.

Regardless, if the only reason they don’t care about these bugs is that they weren’t posted exactly how they want them to be, then they don’t care about fixing bugs. This is a forum, not a trouble ticket system. God help them if they actually use their forums as a trouble ticket system.

Hey @fistfulofzen

We’ve posted a guide on how to report bugs, which you can find here. We understand the frustration of having to generate a thread for each issue separately, but otherwise they’re of little use to us. God might be helping in this case, as we use each thread as a report.

Well… there’s your problem, guys. How on Earth do you keep track of solution processes without an internal ticketing system? Don’t tell me you’re using e-mail…

Edit: I’ve worked in the tech industry for well over a decade for vendors that serviced Fortune 500 companies. There’s a reason these multi-billion dollar companies used internal ticketing systems to track solution processes from beginning to end.

It works.

It seems that many of these bugs have been in the game since beta and haven’t been resolved yet. Maybe… just maybe… the reason these bugs haven’t been resolved now over a year after launch is that using the chaos of a forum as a ticket tracking system isn’t working. My (professional) opinion.

See, over 1.5 million copies of this game were sold, but I don’t see 1.5 million people playing. Maybe that’s because, the bugs in the game are “frustrating” and, yes, the method of reporting and tracking bugs (that haven’t been fixed since launch) is “frustrating”. So… you’re aware that the bugs themselves, the method of reporting the bugs, and the lack of resolution of the bugs are all frustrating for your customers.

I am frustrated, yes.

1 Like

Whatever the reasons this is the system we’re following at this moment so we would be grateful that our users, no matter their backgrounds, could follow these steps for us to relay the feedback to our team. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I have some of your same problems:

• BUG 1 - It’s really annoying! For a time he had stopped happening. After the last patch it is happening to me much more frequently. Only solution = kill yourself by removing the bracelet. Every time I do this I solve the problem.

• BUG 2 - It happens less often. The most affected by this bug are the undead. Almost completely useless compared to a live slave!

Can someone make a 3 hour bug compilation for conan exile like the one from fallout 76? XD

1 Like

Well regarding bug#1 can you even attack while in first-person? Afaik only tools work, maybe javelins.

bug#2 happens to me when I switch weapons mid-fight or while having a weapon drawn myself. it is somewhat inconsistent, altho I managed to finagle it most of the time by equipping the “other” kind of weapon directly on the weapon slot (as opposed to inventory), while not having drawn a weapon myself and not being in combat. This is a really annoying workaround sometimes, but I had decent success with it.

bug#3 seems to be a recent bug but since the last hotfix occured to me much less frequent.

bug#5 has to do with shalebacks having a really small “hit” box with their attacks. You could make a case for causing aggro through aggression alone but I bet it’s much more complicated to implement, especially for edge cases.

bug#7 resolves itself as soon as nobody is in render range for ~15minutes.

bug#8 jumping usually resolves that for me

Oh and in regards to 1.5 million copies:

first of all that’s split across all platforms I am guessing? Steam will only show “online” PC players, aka those incognito won’t show either. Then those numbers are spread across 2 years with people frequently stopping to play after finishing the game once (or coming close to). Most people I know stopped after 50-80 hours and switched over to other games - true none of them belong to the typical SV crowd.

1 Like

Don’t be silly.

1 Like

Yeah #2 is completely game breaking, thralls in combat is a major part of the game and enemy strength definitely reflects that. Lost count of the times I find myself running away to try to re equip my thralls truncheon hoping that no one is going to come up with a working thrall and take the named I just found.

AND It gets you killed which is a huge deal IMO

I’m not being silly. I’m speaking from the standpoint of someone that’s worked in solution processes for well over a decade. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like