Oil of Bounty vs. Advanced Upgrade Kit

Just started looking into these weapon oils. Thought I could use them on my tools that have upgrade kits on them, but apparently not. Which to me seems to make them kinda useless. Can someone explain to me the use of these things? Is it better to have just the oil or keep going with the upgrade kits?

Consider oil a boosted harvesting option for a short time (since it will last for about 3 minutes and will damage your tool at the end of the duration). It can yield more output than a tool with an upgrade. I find them extremely useful for things like star metal, black ice, and brimstone, things that don’t have nodes everywhere or are more rare.

Side note - the duration only ticks down when you have your harvesting tool out. So you can put it away between nodes to make it last longer.

1 Like

On the Black Blood tools the oil lasts a little over 8 minutes. You may need to carry a Legendary Weapon Repair Kit or two and a couple oils with you, but I find I can do my brimstone run (Shattered Springs + the 3 caves) almost in one oil timer, I usually have to repair and reapply right at the end of the last cave. My rule of thumb is that if I have to take more than 5 steps to the next node I put the pick away.

Oil isn’t for your common items such as iron/stone/wood/etc, but my brimstone runs net 11-12k and I can usually pull 10k black ice out of the frost giant temple alone. It’s perfect for starmetal as you only pull out your pick to hit it a node after you’ve cracked it.

Basically I have one BB pick with the tool upgrade for normal runs and one for oil runs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.